"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-29-2011, 03:52 PM   #11
Head Chef

When I worked in the packing house 50 years ago, chuck was often cut into stew meat or ground or chopped. We would cut steaks from the tender and cryovac a bunch for aging. The tastiest steaks ever. The aging would make them tender. They are lean, so I wrapped them with bacon. If the ones you have are thin, less than an inch, I would grill them quickly otherwise they will be dry and tough. If your commissary will custom cut, ask the to cut some over an inch.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:50 AM   #12
Master Chef

How funny that I've never heard of it! But believe me, I do remember military payday to payday life!

Old 06-15-2011, 11:34 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujube246 View Post
ok so yet i have this steak i bought from the commissary on base and its called mock tender steak choice... I have no clue what to use, and yet since i eat way too much so, im pretty limited till payday.. I was wondering could i stuff this with spinach dip or something??? I am totally clueless on what to do... please help. thanks all
This cut of meat is from the beef chuck , just opposite the blade on the top part of a 7 bone chuck steak. Being a less tender cut and very lean , it is best prepared using a moist heat type of cooking. Braising and pot roasting are two recommended types of cooking for this piece. Sliced, Browned and finished in sauce or gravy slowly is my best suggestion. A nice way to prepare would be to brown the slices and finish with garlic, sliced peppers and onions, in tomato sauce, slowly simmered, covered, until tender, like swiss steak or steak pizzaola. Marinating is always another altenative, but be sure to give it enough time to tenderize.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:21 PM   #14
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
When I worked in the packing house 50 years ago, chuck was often cut into stew meat or ground or chopped. We would cut steaks from the tender and cryovac a bunch for aging. The tastiest steaks ever. The aging would make them tender. They are lean, so I wrapped them with bacon. If the ones you have are thin, less than an inch, I would grill them quickly otherwise they will be dry and tough. If your commissary will custom cut, ask the to cut some over an inch.
Interesting. Almost sounds like it could be the next tri-tip cut!

Tags
other, steak