Help with tomato cream sauce please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
I guess this is the right spot for this question. Yesterday, we ate at a chain restaurant called O'Charley's. It isn't your average chain restaurant...the food always tastes fresh and delicious. In fact, I've never had a meal there that wasn't delicious.
They had a new dish on the menu called Jambalaya Penne, with shrimp, chicken, andouille sausage, fresh tomatoes, peppers and onions in a creamy creole sauce. It was amazing! the chicken was fork tender, and the vegetables were cooked perfectly. The chunks of tomatoes were hot and juicy, and the peppers were tender but still crunchy.
I could make this easily at home, if I only knew how to make the sauce! I believe it has a tomato base with cream added, or perhaps the other way around, but beyond that, I don't have a clue.

Add a little tomato paste if it is too pale - a little more cream if too dark. It has been my experience that the more cream or milk you add the lighter the color of a tomato sauce gets ... and the more tomato paste you add the darker it gets.

I copied and pasted that recipe, Michael...thanks for finding it. I think you're right...I'll just add a little tomato paste.
I wish I could find some of the tomato paste that comes in tubes like toothpaste. Tomato paste isn't expensive, but still, I hate to open a can for just 2 tablespoons.

Baked Rigatoni with Sausage Meatballs and Broccoli Rabe Recipe on Yahoo! Food
I guess this is the right spot for this question. Yesterday, we ate at a chain restaurant called O'Charley's. It isn't your average chain restaurant...the food always tastes fresh and delicious. In fact, I've never had a meal there that wasn't delicious.
They had a new dish on the menu called Jambalaya Penne, with shrimp, chicken, andouille sausage, fresh tomatoes, peppers and onions in a creamy creole sauce. It was amazing! the chicken was fork tender, and the vegetables were cooked perfectly. The chunks of tomatoes were hot and juicy, and the peppers were tender but still crunchy.
I could make this easily at home, if I only knew how to make the sauce! I believe it has a tomato base with cream added, or perhaps the other way around, but beyond that, I don't have a clue.

Constance, see what you think of a Tomato Vodka Cream Sauce:

Baked Rigatoni with Sausage Meatballs and Broccoli Rabe Recipe on Yahoo! Food

I copied and pasted that recipe, Michael...thanks for finding it. I think you're right...I'll just add a little tomato paste.
I wish I could find some of the tomato paste that comes in tubes like toothpaste. Tomato paste isn't expensive, but still, I hate to open a can for just 2 tablespoons.

You dont need a tube, just a freezer and some wax paper or ice cube tray. When you open a whole can of paste, divvy the rest of it into approx 1oz dollops onto the wax paper or into the tray (tray may end up easier as each spot is about an ounce big) and toss it into the freezer. Then the next time you need to have just an ounce or two of paste, all you have to do is pull it out of the freezer. Oh, if you do use a try, make sure you either line it or spray it down with some cooking spray to prevent stickage.

As far as your cream sauce goes, well, thats real easy to recreate. just sautee some shallots and garlic in some olive oil, then after about 2 or 3 minutes, add a can of whole tomatoes. break down the tomatoes with a wooden spoon or potato masher (or a stick blender if you have one, but dont completely blend it, as chunks arent a bad thing) and add some fresh basil and white wine. let cook 10 minutes and add cream till it reaches the desired color. From there you can add whatever else you want to it, just make sure that its fully cooked prior to being put into the sauce.

if the sauce is too thick, just add water or stock. if its too thin, just let it cook a few minutes more. And at any time you can toss in whatever seasonings you want to give it that creole flavor, or just leave it as is for a great tomato cream sauce.

Hope this helps!

I wish I could find some of the tomato paste that comes in tubes like toothpaste.

If you can't find it in your regular grocery store, or an Italian market or deli, then you can definitely find it at Cost Plus World Market.

Back
Top Bottom