Help with 'traditional' Thanksgiving Dinner items..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paint

Senior Cook
Since moving over to the USA from England, we have celebrated Thanksgiving every year with a special meal...but our Thanksgiving Dinner has been more like a traditional English Christmas Dinner (Turkey, bread sauce, cranberry sauce, bacon-wrapped sausages, peas, brussel sprouts, carrots, broccoli and roast potatoes - often followed by Christmas pudding (Plum Pudding).

This tended to spoil Christmas Dinner for us, as we were having the same meal for both celebrations...so this year I want to make a traditional American Thanksgiving meal.

I have the Turkey, and a nice recipe for home-made Green bean casserole, and another recipe for 'Bourbon Pecan Smashed Sweet Potatoes'...but what other sides would be traditionally served with the Thanksgiving Turkey? What sorts of veggies etc.??

Paint.

There are some similarities. Cranberries are a staple along with sweet potato, squash and pumpkin sides and pies. Apple and pecan pies are also popular. Some folks make Jell-O salads or ambrosia.

Of course, the word traditional means different things to different families and to different parts of the country.

For example, when I was a child, my mom never made any kind of potato. She made rice pilaf to serve with the turkey.

I love Pecan pie - so that will definately be for dessert this year :)

The only type of squash I've ever cooked as a side has been courgettes (green squash) sliced and either roasted or sauteed, so ideas for more squash/pumpkin (I've never cooked pumpkin) would be good.

I just thought of having sweetcorn for a side too.

Is there anything special you do with carrots or other veggies, like you do with the green bean casserole?

paint.

Paint.

Carrots can be glazed with brown sugar.

For squash, consider butternut. I roast it then puree the flesh and mix it with butter and roasted garlic or butter and brown sugar, or all three.

Back
Top Bottom