"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-12-2008, 04:00 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
My husband will stack like pieces together then stack largest to smallest with silverware wherever it is stable. Now, if we are at a REALLY nice restaurant he doesn't do that to an extreme. He might stack our salad plates together, they get removed, and he might stack our dinner plates together, etc.

Side Note - he leaves his dishes on the counter at home right above the EMPTY dishwasher! He leaves an empty can of Coke on the counter instead of throwing it away

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 04:04 PM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

I usually do not do anything other than put my napkin on top of my plate, but every once in a while I might do a little stacking. I always try to collect the little bits of trash (straw wrapper, empty butter thing, etc.) and put those on a plate or in one pile.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:17 PM   #13
Traveling Welcome Wagon

We always move what we are done with to a corner we aren't using. Some pick them up as we eat, but if they don't, we stack like-sized things together, then bowls on plates, etc. There just isn't enough room on most of the tables to not stack them. If the people at the table next to us have gone and there are still uncollected dishes, we sometimes will put our plates there (if it is not a long reach--we don't get up to do that). The fanciest place we can afford (and that, rarely) is O'Charley's, so I don't know what we would do at a really fancy place.

Barbara
Old 02-12-2008, 04:31 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I move them to the end of the table so they are easier to reach. I don't like the wait staff
reaching over me to get them.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:33 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
My husband will stack like pieces together then stack largest to smallest with silverware wherever it is stable. Now, if we are at a REALLY nice restaurant he doesn't do that to an extreme. He might stack our salad plates together, they get removed, and he might stack our dinner plates together, etc.

Side Note - he leaves his dishes on the counter at home right above the EMPTY dishwasher! He leaves an empty can of Coke on the counter instead of throwing it away
Guilty! Drives her nuts, lol.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:42 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
When kid were little I would scrape all the leftover scraps an one plate, then stack them with the scrap one on top, when I was a waitress I use to hate reaching over people to get there dishes, especially if the napkin was on top. I was always afraid someting would fall aff the plate and onto the guest. So I try to make sure everything is stable including napkins.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:44 PM   #17
Executive Chef

I always scrape and stack our plates and clean up any messes when we go out. I think it's the mom in me!
Old 02-12-2008, 05:48 PM   #18
Master Chef

Side Note - he leaves his dishes on the counter at home right above the EMPTY dishwasher! He leaves an empty can of Coke on the counter instead of throwing it away [/quote]

my hubby uses paper plates and leaves them all over the place. Also toothpicks, I find them everywhere.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:54 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Leave them where they lie. Part of the reason you dine out is so you don't have to do the dishes. Bus/wait staff people are trained to come in quietly and remove objects with as little intrusion to your meal as possible. Diners at nearby tables aren't necessarily interested in seeing your party scraping and clanging dishes, either. If you appreciate the job the bus staff is doing, tip them seperately.

By the way, don't leave your napkin on your plate. It makes it impossible for the bus staff to see what's beneath the napkin without removing the napkin. Usually, dirty linens are handled seperately. If they remove the napkin, chances are very good that something will be flung onto the table or your lap.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:04 PM   #20
Cook

I will typically stack my bread plate and any trash onto my plate. When I was waiting tables I always appreciated when the customers stacked thier plates for me.