"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-14-2008, 02:15 PM   #61
Chief Eating Officer

I prefer when they bag my groceries, but I also do not mind doing it myself. One things I am seeing more and more is that when they bag for me they put one or two items in each bag. I walk out of the store with 12 bags and 20 items when they could have got it all in 4 or 5 bags without crushing anything or making the bags too heavy. That drives me a bit crazy.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:02 PM   #62
Certified Pretend Chef

This is still a restaurant thread.

If you want to post about bagging groceries, please check out that thread.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:35 PM   #63
Chief Eating Officer

Oops sorry Andy. I actually thought this WAS the grocery bagging thread
Old 02-14-2008, 03:40 PM   #64
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, me too.

we were just being helpful by stacking the threads...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:45 PM   #65
Certified Pretend Chef

BT are those paper or plastic threads?
Old 02-14-2008, 03:48 PM   #66
Master Chef

I prefer canvas threads myself... ;)
Old 02-19-2008, 10:27 AM   #67
Assistant Cook

I'm a pre-busser and it makes my hubby insane but I was a server for many years for part time money in full service restaurants while my boys were growing up and trust me, the server appreciates it, the bus boy does, the dish washer does as they go back to the kitchen stacked according to size and it also helps the server turn her tables more quickly so they tend to step up the service for you just a bit. I'm a huge fan of helping my server and on that note..
I know that many of you are in the business and you understand the importance of tipping, servers survive on that and not the 2.85 they make an hour but it has been my experience that some believe that a 10.00 tip on a 150.00 check is considered very generous yet the server only sees about 4% of that so to tip her 10.00 on a check that large, after shes had to tip out the hostess,the bus boy, and the bartender.. on many occassions she owes money for running that table.... standardized tipping has increased from 15% to 18% for that reason ...
~ pushes her soap box back under the desk ~
just food for thought :)
Old 02-19-2008, 12:20 PM   #68
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by purringkitty View Post
I know that many of you are in the business and you understand the importance of tipping, servers survive on that and not the 2.85 they make an hour but it has been my experience that some believe that a 10.00 tip on a 150.00 check is considered very generous yet the server only sees about 4% of that so to tip her 10.00 on a check that large, after shes had to tip out the hostess,the bus boy, and the bartender.. on many occassions she owes money for running that table.... standardized tipping has increased from 15% to 18% for that reason ...
~ pushes her soap box back under the desk ~
just food for thought :)
Thanks for mentioning that, Kitty. I was thinking about posting a similar comment. It has been my experience that when a person says "I tip well" that means they don't know that they are bad tippers (I'm of course gneralizing here, don't send hate mail).. or they are what we call "lip tippers," all talk: "You were wonderful, what great service. I'm going to tell your manager what a great job you did." You know what I say to that, "Say it with money, honey!"

Usually instead of challenging a person on what they believe a good tip is, I just answer, "Oh, so you're a base twenty-percenter?" That usually gets the point across to people about what a "good" tip is.

Now we're off topic sorry. A little public service announcement never hurt anybody! Especially not our hard-working service people.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:20 PM   #69
Certified Pretend Chef

Jill:

Tipping was covered in excruciating detail in an earlier thread. You may want to find and read it.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:23 PM   #70
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillBurgh View Post
Thanks for mentioning that, Kitty. I was thinking about posting a similar comment. It has been my experience that when a person says "I tip well" that means they don't know that they are bad tippers (I'm of course gneralizing here, don't send hate mail).. or they are what we call "lip tippers," all talk: "You were wonderful, what great service. I'm going to tell your manager what a great job you did." You know what I say to that, "Say it with money, honey!"

Usually instead of challenging a person on what they believe a good tip is, I just answer, "Oh, so you're a base twenty-percenter?" That usually gets the point across to people about what a "good" tip is.

Now we're off topic sorry. A little public service announcement never hurt anybody! Especially not our hard-working service people.
Wow... if I ever visit America (or any other country where tipping is expected as a matter of course), I'm going to have to get some serious advise on the tipping thing! So confusing! I'm sure I'd get it all wrong.

Isn't it funny how different cultures do things? I'm quite comfortable with the way we do things here - you eat, you pay the price it said on the menu, you leave! That price includes enough for the service staff to live on. I guess it's just that I've only ever known that