"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-19-2005, 07:20 PM   #11
Master Chef

Haggis, the broken eggshells are a great idea. And yes, they must do something for the plants. My mother and her mother always saved coffee ground and eggshells in an empty coffee can to put in their flower beds, and they sure had beautiful flowers!

Old 08-19-2005, 10:16 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis
You can also sprinkle broken eggshells around the plants. The snails don't like sliding over jagged material. Also might do something for the plants as well.

I've grown quite a few herbs and one thing I always see, rosemary could withstand a nuclear attack. It is so incredibly hardy, I've seen it sit through a week of heavy rain on not drown like my basil and mint, then seen it sit through scorching heat without water (wasn't home) and it still marches on.
I don't know what I'm doing wrong then. I have had NO luck with rosemary. I'm at an elevation of 8600 feet - very short growing season so can't plant herbs in the ground outdoors. I keep trying to have potted herbs in my kitchen. I have one east window - nice morning sun. Chives do OK and basil does well but I can't keep rosemary. Any ideas?

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 10:47 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Perhaps being in the Rocky Mountains might not exactly be the conditions to recreate the Mediterranean environment it thrives in :P.

If you grow it outdoors maybe it would do better if it was kept inside?

I'm not a big green thumb, don't really know much about plants so I'm guessing here.

I googled 'rosemary growing conditions' and it came up with quite a few sites, maybe check them out for ideas.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:15 PM   #14
Head Chef

thank you, Haggis! I'll try google and see what I can learn.

Old 08-20-2005, 09:47 AM   #15
Master Chef

Rosemary can be tricky to grow inside. It needs as much sun as possible, and should be planted in a well-drained limey growing medium. But in spite of it's hardy appearance, it requires water, and since it doesn't wilt, it can be hard to judge when it's dry. The old finger in the dirt method is the best way.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:41 AM   #16
Head Chef

Thank you, Constance. I think sun is an issue for me and maybe the soil. I might give it another try.

Old 08-21-2005, 12:29 AM   #17
Master Chef

Well - don't know where in FL you live so I can't look up the answer for you ... so break out your phone book and look up a couple of things.

You could try visiting a nursery in your area that sells herb plants ... and I don't mean talking to the 16-yo kid working a summer job in the garder center at WalMart or HomeDepot.

Your best bet would be calling up your local County Agriculture Extension Office. They know the climit, the soil, the gorwing conditions ... that's their job. They are probably your best source of information - usually for free! They may have some pamplets they might send you for a nominal charge (just to cover printing and postage) but I've never paid more than about $1 - and they will give you all kinds of info over the phone for free.

I don't know why so many people overlook this resource.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:24 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
Your best bet would be calling up your local County Agriculture Extension Office.

I don't know why so many people overlook this resource.
Absolutely right, Michael. When I was in the Master Gardener program sponsored by the Extension office here, I got a ton of information and advice for free. Our office even had a horticulture phone help line, and you could walk in with your plants or insects for a free consultation.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:51 AM   #19
Master Chef

LOL - Mudbug ... I should have remembered this disgruntled guy (I just hope he doesn't work for the Postal Service and has a gun collection ) ... I already told him how to contact his Ag Agent in another thread - complete with name, phone number, and e-mail address!:

Need farms in Ft. Lauderdale FL area please, and help w/ the bugs

... you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink ...
Old 08-22-2005, 10:22 AM   #20
Cook

Well, Michael in FTW, I had forgotten about the post to my farms question earlier this year. Thanks for the reminder. And, no I don't work for the post office, no I don't own a gun, and no I don't have an actual set between my legs, altho I have been told mine are quite large for a girl!! Thanks for the reminder. I'll check it out.
B.