"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-17-2005, 08:41 AM   #1
Cook

Herb Growing Help

Hi,
I have attempted to grow herbs here in godforsaken florida. I bought some Parsley, and 3 mature basil plants. It appears as if snails like basil, and kill it. I had it for less than a month, and I had to cut it down and freeze the measly amount I had. Not even enough to make pesto. My parsley was a full grown plant, but I cut is as I should have, but the problem was when the new shoots would grow, before I could cut them down, or before they were all bunchy again, they would turn brown & die. My rosemary is still doing wonderful. My question is this, has anyone attempted to grow herbs indoors in Florida. We keep the AC @ 80 degrees when we go to work, and I have a window that faces West, but there is light enough to grow something edible????? Anyhow, I want to grow basil and maybe some sage, and oregano. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
B.

Old 08-17-2005, 09:27 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Sage, oregano and rosemary should do well in the Florida heat; my sage and rosemary here in Charleston are now as tall as I am - even with some dieback in the winter!

Parsley and basil, although they like heat, also like shade and lots of water when it gets so hot. i've never had any luck growing herbs inside, even with gro-lights. My basil here is pretty shot right now, but I'll plant more in about a month; you could probably sow basil every couple of weeks throughout the winter and it would do fine. Parsley, too! (I had parsley coming up through the snow when we lived in NJ!)

Old 08-17-2005, 12:28 PM   #3
Master Chef

Parsley will grow just fine in your window. Just give it plenty of water. Basil also requires a lot of water. The big leaf variety doesn't do as well inside, but there are a number of small leafed cultivars that taste great and do well in pots. Check with your nursery man for "spicy globe" and some of the others.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:51 PM   #4
Master Chef

I have heard that snails root for the red sox.

That may be the problem.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:51 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I must grow my basil on the screened porch because of the caterpillars. The others I grow in a flower bed - they do fine. Some better than others. My rosemary plants are about 2 feet high and 3 feet wide. My lavendar is about the same. Sage isn't as big, but very bushy. The salad burnet is a bit worse for wear because of the heat, but will perk up when the weather cools off a little.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:52 AM   #6
Cook

Gotta get your digs in, right Red??? Well, right now with the Yankees playing like little league, I have nothing to say .

So, I guess my best bet would be to get a terrarium, to protect my herbs from the bugs, right?? But, my rosemary is not growing like you guys'. I have it in a pot, and it just started to sprout again, maybe I should transplant it into a bigger pot?? It is about a foot high, like it was last year in Seattle...hmmmm. Well, thanks for all the info. I'll keep trying.
Would you guys recommend I start w/ seeds, or try to find mature plants at Home Depot or Lowes? This particular nursery didn't even know they had herbs out there. I think that may have been part of the problem...they didn't take care of them, but I don't feel so bad as I only spent $4 on them...
B.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:01 AM   #7
Master Chef

Put down some snail bait or saucers of beer for your slugs and they'll leave your plants alone.
Parsley and basil are easy from seed. Rosemary must be started from cuttings.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:03 AM   #8
Cook

Saucers of beer???? Que horror, madame...As it is, I cannot find any microbrewerys in this state like Washington. Apparently they haven't caught the beer fever yet... But, I didn't know they didn't like beer. Interesting... I suppose snail bait is common sense, but I have no more basil to protect. I am going to try a mini hothouse and see what happens. My thumb is not green per say. I'm lucky I have the plants I have. At any rate, thanks for the thought. What is it about beer that slugs don't like???

B.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:26 AM   #9
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Slugs & snails like beer too much! They get in it & then can't get out so they drown. I've used the beer method & it works very well. I normally keep a 6-pack of really cheap beer for that purpose.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:37 PM   #10
Sous Chef

You can also sprinkle broken eggshells around the plants. The snails don't like sliding over jagged material. Also might do something for the plants as well.

I've grown quite a few herbs and one thing I always see, rosemary could withstand a nuclear attack. It is so incredibly hardy, I've seen it sit through a week of heavy rain on not drown like my basil and mint, then seen it sit through scorching heat without water (wasn't home) and it still marches on.