"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-23-2004, 08:31 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Lavender is VERY floral. It's a delicate taste but still noticeably perfumey. Much like rosewater is delicate but very distinctively rosey. It has a slight blueberry note to it, along with some basily/mintyness to it (it's in the same plant family as basil/mint). I don't like the taste of it. My exposure to has been lavender gum. Way too perfumey for me. It could be okay in very small amounts in an herb mix, although I'm not running off to buy any, especially from Penzey's. Don't get me wrong, I practically worship the place for the price/quality of the spices but I find the spice blends to be a little heavy handed. To be honest, I'm not sure I could get behind any commercially prepared spice blends, as I'm very specific as to how I approach flavor combinations.

I'm a big clove/mint hater as well. Just a couple days ago I was working on my pumpkin bread recipe. It had to have some cloves so I added 1/128 of a teaspoon (1/4 of a smidgeon). That's how I approach cloves.

Old 10-24-2004, 08:35 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Thanks all. Yes, the gift sets look like a really great idea when you are stumped on what to give somebody. Well, it sounds like neither the lavender nor the chervil would be high on my hit parade of tastes, but they are the last ingredients listed (hence I assume least presence). I've heard the name so many times that my curiousity is piqued - I'm going to try the small bottle.

Old 10-24-2004, 08:51 AM   #13
Executive Chef

8) - who knows - we may have a new 'herbes de provence' fan in the making! Happy Cooking!

What else are ya getting?
Old 10-25-2004, 12:02 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalady
8) - who knows - we may have a new 'herbes de provence' fan in the making! Happy Cooking!

What else are ya getting?
Also: Chicago Steak Seasoning, Barbeque Seasoning, Garlic Salt, Minced Garlic and Arrowroot. Oh shoot, now that I'm typing this I realized that I also wanted to try their hot chocolate. :(
Old 10-25-2004, 02:37 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter
Oh shoot, now that I'm typing this I realized that I also wanted to try their hot chocolate. :(
I know the feeling. Just about every time I order from Penzey's I forget something. It's easy to do.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:03 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Lavender grows great where I live, I have 5 plants over 15 years old that still come back strong. I don't like the taste, and I've tried homemade and store bought lavender foodstuffs. I think the secret is you have to use very little and still its not for me. The fragrance is WONDERFUL though.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:22 AM   #17
Sous Chef

I'm definitely going to go light on it the first time around! Do have an herb garden deb?
Old 10-26-2004, 10:14 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Yes, the lavender comes back prolific, I also have:
OREGANO- grows like crazy, but I don't use it, its SOOO MILD, I prefer the dried greek oregano.
SAGE: This I use, gorgeous blue flowers, showy plant comes back but only lasts about 5 years.
ROSEMARY: Nice compact plant, I have to plant this every year.
THYME: A dissapointing small plant, have to plant every year.
PARSLEY: I plant this every year, italian flat or curley.
MINTS: They come back every year, I have many varieties.
LEMON VERBENA: Big plant, smells very nice, made a cake with it once.
BASIL: Plant every year
THAI BASIL: Different from regular, have to plant every year.
THAI LEMONGRASS: I buy Thai lemongrass from the oriental grocer, cut
it down to 2 inches, put the stalk in water so that long roots form, then plant it in a sunny place. I have lemongrass till Thanksgiving.
Thats it this year. If not for consuming, herbs smell wonderful after a rain, just to walk by and brush by it, it fills the air with fragrance.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:33 AM   #19
Senior Cook

Deb, what time of the year do you plant your basil? What kind of growing conditions does it like?

Do you bring any of the plants indoors?
Old 10-26-2004, 10:56 AM   #20
Senior Cook

I plant after April 15th. I don't bring any plants indoors, I just buy the following year again.

« Mellissa's | SALT »