Herbes de Provence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
what form is it in, betterthan?

is it a powder or a rough grind up of the dried herbs?

the most common thing that i use herbs de provence is in soups and stews.

I usually use it with meats and potatoes with the olive oil or even on pizza

I make the New York Times no-knead bread, and I sprinkle HdP on top before I bake. (And I put it on chicken and pork chops and and pretty much anything that holds still long enough.)

I just remembered a recipe I recently made where I mixed some with softened butter and spread it on a prime rib roast before roasting.

It's the seasoning I use in home made seasoned bread crumbs. For some reason I dislike the taste of pre-packaged seasoned bread crumbs.

Well, I use Herbes de provence a lot since my parents live for a period of the year in Cannes.
Use it on Red grilled meat (season with extravirgin olive oil and a pinch of herbes de provence). It is really good also on roasted potatoes and on tomatoes!

xoxo;)

Does yours contain Lavender?
Lavender is only added in American mixes but is not used in French traditional mixes.
I love to use it as a seasoning on roast chicken.

Lavender is only added in American mixes but is not used in French traditional mixes.

I've made both and use the one with lavender for things such as roast duck or lamb. There definitely is such a thing as too much lavender! I am also somewhat of a purist so for that reason like the traditional French version.

That is not true, Kayelle. Many Provencal cooks use lavender in their mixtures, especially in the summertime.

OP, I ahve to admit Herbes de Provence is my "secret" ingredient. I use it in almost everything I cook. Savory things, that is... It adds that little "je ne sais quoi."

That is not true, Kayelle. Many Provencal cooks use lavender in their mixtures, especially in the summertime.

OP, I ahve to admit Herbes de Provence is my "secret" ingredient. I use it in almost everything I cook. Savory things, that is... It adds that little "je ne sais quoi."

Yes - as soon as I posted my own response (too late to change!) I thought the same thing. Having been to France lavender is definitely used prominently in many things, including Herbes de Provence. I just checked my recipe with lavender and it is indeed French.

Regardless, HdP is one of my favourite blends! :flowers:

Not intending to be argumentative but according to .......Herbes de Provence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Lavender is only added in American mixes but is not used in French traditional mixes."

Personally, I think the mixes with lavender goes too heavy on the lavender, so I have food grade lavender to add, or not add.

I just checked all my classic French books and there is indeed a division; my Larousse Gastronimique (which I trust) leaves lavender out but two of my spice books (one a spice guy from France) say traditional HdP includes lavender. No matter.

One of the reasons I make my own blends (I never buy any) is for that reason - flavour preference. Some garam masalas or Quatre Epices or Ras el Hanout are too heavy on this, too light on that; etc.

Anyway, lavender in shortbread is nice! :LOL:

I just checked all my classic French books and there is indeed a division; my Larousse Gastronimique (which I trust) leaves lavender out but two of my spice books (one a spice guy from France) say traditional HdP includes lavender. No matter.

One of the reasons I make my own blends (I never buy any) is for that reason - flavour preference. Some garam masalas or Quatre Epices or Ras el Hanout are too heavy on this, too light on that; etc.

Anyway, lavender in shortbread is nice! :LOL:

Gosh, I never thought of lavender in shortbread.......I bet that's wonderful . Fricassee, would you mind sharing your favorite recipe for HDP?

Gosh, I never thought of lavender in shortbread.......I bet that's wonderful . Fricassee, would you mind sharing your favorite recipe for HDP?

It IS wonderful. Just made some 3/4" thick shortbread...so buttery...so calorific...:pig:

Having tried many different ratios for HdP this is the one I like best:

4 tbsp dried marjoram
4 tbsp dried thyme
4 tbsp dried summer savory
4-5 bay leaves, crumbled (or sort of pulverized in spice grinder)
2 tbsp dried basil
2 tbsp dried oregano
1 tbsp dried rosemary
1 tsp rubbed sage
1 tsp lavender (I use a smidgeon less)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom