Herbs: basil, parsley, etc..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use fresh herbs whenever possible. Some like parsley, basil, mint, dill and lemon grass are grown in pots and the rest are bought from the grocers and supermarkets. For oregano and thyme, I have dried ones that were freshly picked from the countryside.

My herb garden does beautifully in season, and my neighbors know to come over and help themselves. But I also have a lot of dry herbs as well for use during the winter months. I don't have a lot of luck growing them inside because all my sunny windows are above heat registers and they dry out faster than I can keep them watered. I have a rosemary plant I bring in during the cold months, and I used to have a bay tree (died last year) that I brought in as well. But in season I have mint, lemon balm, sage, thyme, dill, two kinds of chives, tarragon, basil, oregano. I also toss in a few marigold and nasturtium seeds. I find that dried sage, dill, thyme, and oregano work just fine during the winter months, the other herbs I just do without when I can't grow them. My herb garden is about 3' X 6' and is right out the kitchen door.

I have several herb plants in my back yard. I put them in pots and set them on the outside of my window sill. I have found out that catepillars in my area love cilantro. I was making a salsa, went to cut some off and all there was were green shoots coming out of the dirt. When I looked closer, there were two very happy fat catepillars in the dirt. Needless to say they have a new home in another garden.

cookingguru said:
I have several herb plants in my back yard. I put them in pots and set them on the outside of my window sill. I have found out that catepillars in my area love cilantro. I was making a salsa, went to cut some off and all there was were green shoots coming out of the dirt. When I looked closer, there were two very happy fat catepillars in the dirt. Needless to say they have a new home in another garden.

so funny! That happened to me last year too with parsley! I kept gently relocating them out of my pot, and the next day, they were back in there again! The kids wanted to jail him in a bug box, but I wouldn't let them because it would surely be his demise! This year, we may take a ride across town... :LOL:

:) I like to grow a ton of basil in big window boxes they get huge if you pinch them alot and the more you pinch the bushier they get plus lots of water.Then I make pesto and freeze because first I cant get fresh basil out here and next it costs a fortune everywhere to get huge amounts of fresh basil.I have chives growing outside and they come back no matter what.Next is thyme and rosemary.I also really need to get parsley and cilantro going.

Caterpillars LOVE parsley--you just have to grow a plant for them! Sage is a great plant to have--cut big stalks and dry them upside down. Cilantro and dill are cool weather crops and bolt quickly in the south so need to be grown in the spring and fall here.

Fresh herbs definitely. even when I am in my flats I need fresh herbs. A strawberry planter makes a good apartment herb garden, but does need lots of refreshing and feeding, but excellent when space is tight. We simply can't have enough fresh herbs. Coriander leaves make a beautiful green for a salad (so flavourful!), DH likes to munch parsely raw, and we also make salads with flat leaf parsley. So, if it is not growing and we buy the fresh herbs there is no wastage: leafies make a salad, and rosemary or thyme there is so much to do with...

It depends on the recipe ... sometimes dried herbs will work, sometimes not. For example - you can make a perfectly good tomato sauce using dried herbs but you can't make a pesto without fresh herbs.

I have basil growing in water by my kitchen window...one of those living herbs from the market...refuses to die and I love it fresh in all kinds of recipes. I also have a rosemary tree ( bought as a mini Christmas tree a year ago) still happy inside by the porch door. This spring the mint and parsley window box will go up and I will try for tarragon marjoram and thyme dill and chives too if I can. I have several Amish farms around for fresh produce (and eggs) in season.

I agree with Drama Queen, there's a reason why they specifiy the type of herb in recipes--sometimes the flavor is stronger fresh, sometimes when it's dried. I always use what the recipe calls for. I only started to keep a small herb garden about a year ago. It's easy and definitely comes in handy!

I prefer to grow my own herbs. In my area, a small package of the most commonly used herbs is more than $3. Besides, they are so saturated with water from the "fresh" spray in the produce section that they rot very quickly.

I have devised a tiered herb garden in an area of my yard that supplies me with chives, rosemary, parsley, oregano, basil, mint, and dill. I don't really need much from the market for our cooking tastes as a result.

foodstorm said:
I agree with Drama Queen, there's a reason why they specifiy the type of herb in recipes--sometimes the flavor is stronger fresh, sometimes when it's dried. ...

Good point, foodstorm. Generally, depending on how they are dried and what they are, dried herbs are more concentrated in flavor. The general rule of thumb is to use 1/3 to 1/2 as much dried herbs as fresh herbs. So, knowing if the recipe writer was using fresh or dried is essential to getting the amount somewhere within the ballpark flavor-wise if you have to substitute one for the other.

I agree...with all those that grow their own herbs. I grow parsley, oregano,
chives, marjouram,garlic, onion, basil. These will grow fine in this climate.
Rosemary, usually I pot it and bring the pot in for the cold months.

Almost end of growing season I gather and freeze (each) in a small plastic container (purchase at the dollar store 3 for $1.00) The remain green and are fine for winter cooking.

I put an herb garden in every year and I just love it! Not only for the convenience and the freshness of the herbs, but also for all of the birds and butterflies that visit the herb plot.

Keeping your own herb garden certainly will come in handy, and is an inexpensive alternative to always having to buy them. Also, some herbs arew very hard to find in a regular supermarket!

I started having an herb garden when my daughters were very young. Probably in the neighborhood of 70-80 different varieties. Some were for cooking, but most were simply because they were pretty, smelled wonderful and the easiest things in the world to grow.

Having had an accident three years ago, I was unable to deal with an "in ground" herb garden since my kitchen door is about 7 ft above ground and I could not manage the steps. But, my, what I could grown in pots on the deck. One pot for basil for pesto and other good stuff, other big pots hold thymes,chives,rosemary, sage, parsley (evergreen all year here), another is for mints. Only the basil has to be planted each year. Parsley is a biennial, and sage, while a perenial, usually gives up in the 5 year neighborhood.

I don't think anything as encouraged me and my 2 daughters to explore cooking more than growing and using fresh herbs.

Herbs

Hello Everyone,
Herbs to me...spell summer! I at one time before my arthritis kicked in had a unique herb garden with over 200 herbs...it was so quaint...besides the plants I used chairs planted in their seats with pansys..all types of ornamentations etc...really enjoyed tinkering around out their...but...the golden years have changed those days drastically...now not to say I don't grow...basil, sage, thyme , dill, etc...probably only grow about 8 herbs now and use them regularly...love them on salads, meats grilling with rosemary is awesome, and make herb oils and herb vinegars...alas can't imagine food without some fresh herb on or in it...please give them a try ...you will be hooked...have a great day everyone. Jan

I love growing my own herbs,when I can't I normally buy fresh and pay thru the nose for them!! But, also, there is a place in the kitchen for dried herbs and I do have a supply of them.

Herbs are fairly easy to grow, and we usually have several versions growing in the garden each year. Basil, mint, rosemary, and whatever else strikes our fancy... I also use dried herbs when the need arises. I make my own seasoning blends, too, and usually use dried herbs for those.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom