"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-08-2007, 02:03 AM   #21
Executive Chef

I use fresh herbs whenever possible. Some like parsley, basil, mint, dill and lemon grass are grown in pots and the rest are bought from the grocers and supermarkets. For oregano and thyme, I have dried ones that were freshly picked from the countryside.

Old 03-08-2007, 03:28 AM   #22
Head Chef

The beginning of March: The only healthy indoor potted plants left are mint and parsley.

Time to start over.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 07:13 AM   #23
Master Chef

My herb garden does beautifully in season, and my neighbors know to come over and help themselves. But I also have a lot of dry herbs as well for use during the winter months. I don't have a lot of luck growing them inside because all my sunny windows are above heat registers and they dry out faster than I can keep them watered. I have a rosemary plant I bring in during the cold months, and I used to have a bay tree (died last year) that I brought in as well. But in season I have mint, lemon balm, sage, thyme, dill, two kinds of chives, tarragon, basil, oregano. I also toss in a few marigold and nasturtium seeds. I find that dried sage, dill, thyme, and oregano work just fine during the winter months, the other herbs I just do without when I can't grow them. My herb garden is about 3' X 6' and is right out the kitchen door.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:33 PM   #24
Assistant Cook

I have several herb plants in my back yard. I put them in pots and set them on the outside of my window sill. I have found out that catepillars in my area love cilantro. I was making a salsa, went to cut some off and all there was were green shoots coming out of the dirt. When I looked closer, there were two very happy fat catepillars in the dirt. Needless to say they have a new home in another garden.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:09 PM   #25
Cooking Links Contest Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookingguru
I have several herb plants in my back yard. I put them in pots and set them on the outside of my window sill. I have found out that catepillars in my area love cilantro. I was making a salsa, went to cut some off and all there was were green shoots coming out of the dirt. When I looked closer, there were two very happy fat catepillars in the dirt. Needless to say they have a new home in another garden.
so funny! That happened to me last year too with parsley! I kept gently relocating them out of my pot, and the next day, they were back in there again! The kids wanted to jail him in a bug box, but I wouldn't let them because it would surely be his demise! This year, we may take a ride across town...

shannon in KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:20 PM   #26
Executive Chef

I like to grow a ton of basil in big window boxes they get huge if you pinch them alot and the more you pinch the bushier they get plus lots of water.Then I make pesto and freeze because first I cant get fresh basil out here and next it costs a fortune everywhere to get huge amounts of fresh basil.I have chives growing outside and they come back no matter what.Next is thyme and rosemary.I also really need to get parsley and cilantro going.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:02 AM   #27
Sous Chef

Caterpillars LOVE parsley--you just have to grow a plant for them! Sage is a great plant to have--cut big stalks and dry them upside down. Cilantro and dill are cool weather crops and bolt quickly in the south so need to be grown in the spring and fall here.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:16 AM   #28
Head Chef

Fresh herbs definitely. even when I am in my flats I need fresh herbs. A strawberry planter makes a good apartment herb garden, but does need lots of refreshing and feeding, but excellent when space is tight. We simply can't have enough fresh herbs. Coriander leaves make a beautiful green for a salad (so flavourful!), DH likes to munch parsely raw, and we also make salads with flat leaf parsley. So, if it is not growing and we buy the fresh herbs there is no wastage: leafies make a salad, and rosemary or thyme there is so much to do with...
Old 03-10-2007, 07:05 PM   #29
Master Chef

It depends on the recipe ... sometimes dried herbs will work, sometimes not. For example - you can make a perfectly good tomato sauce using dried herbs but you can't make a pesto without fresh herbs.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:06 PM   #30
Executive Chef

I have basil growing in water by my kitchen window...one of those living herbs from the market...refuses to die and I love it fresh in all kinds of recipes. I also have a rosemary tree ( bought as a mini Christmas tree a year ago) still happy inside by the porch door. This spring the mint and parsley window box will go up and I will try for tarragon marjoram and thyme dill and chives too if I can. I have several Amish farms around for fresh produce (and eggs) in season.