"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-07-2007, 06:49 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Herbs: basil, parsley, etc..

I've read a lot of recipes where the ingredients call for: "Fresh basil" or "Leaves of some other herb".

How many actually use these fresh leaves, or have the plants in their kitchen?

Do you all just use dry stuff?

Old 03-07-2007, 08:34 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I had a small herb garden while I lived in Michigan. I want to get some going here in Oklahoma as well, but my growing space is going to be limited to pots.

Using fresh herbs, at least for me, in not that big a deal. I like to put some fresh chives on baked potatoes, but, I only bake potatoes once or twice a year, therefore; growing chives specifically for baked taters is not cost-effective. We don't really use fresh herbs enough to justify growing them. If I have a recipe that really needs fresh herbs, I can always go and buy a small package of the herb, unless it's some esoteric herb that isn't readily available in the average grocery store.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:43 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

hmm, I was considering growing some this year in some pots. I've never done this before, so it may be quite fun, even if I don't use them much, still be nice to grow them.

I have a friend who is going to grow his own tomatoes.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:03 AM   #4
Sous Chef

Grow them in big (6-8") pots outside. You will love having them and herbs are basically "weeds" and grow easily. BUT be sure to keep either using them or snipping them back. Basil, for example, should never be allowed to flower. That signals the plant that it is time to go to seed, and it will begin to die back. Also, snipping/using encourages the plant to make a branch and become bigger/fuller.
Think about thyme, parsley, basil (maybe more than one kind). You can snip off a good branch of basil and put it in water on your counter and just use it from there, when you have a lot. It will even root within days and you can have another plant. It is that easy!!
Old 03-07-2007, 09:09 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

During the growing season I have 2 types of basil, 2 types of parsley, oregano, cilantro, lemon thyme (that keeps trying to take over); rosemary and fennel outside my kitchen as staples. During the 'lean' months I resort to buying in the store fresh basil, parsley or cilantro. I clean and air dry oregano and rosemary during the winter months.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:13 AM   #6
Master Chef

Last year I put in my first herb garden. The basil plants weren't on the big size so I thought what the heck and bought 4.....big mistake those things became monsters and I ultimately pulled them all up at the beginning of fall. I'm hoping the garden isn't taken over with offspring this year. What I want to do instead is pot one basil plant in a container and that way I can contain it and bring it in in the winter.

My rosemary did beautifully and thats one plant I think would grow into a tree if I let it.

I have to say its so great to be able to walk out your door and snip this and that fresh herb, not to mention how much you save not buying it in the stores.

I do plan to add a few different herbs this year. Last year it was Parsley, Basil, Rosemary, Thyme, Oregano, Marjoram and Dill. Its a wait and see to determine what survived the winter.
Oh yes forgot to mention I had Sage too.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:18 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlininIN
I have to say its so great to be able to walk out your door and snip this and that fresh herb, not to mention how much you save not buying it in the stores.
DITTO! That is definitely one of benefits of fresh herbs, convenience and savings.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:50 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrabbit
hmm, I was considering growing some this year in some pots. I've never done this before, so it may be quite fun, even if I don't use them much, still be nice to grow them.

I have a friend who is going to grow his own tomatoes.
Redrabbit,
I grow, Basil, Majoram,chives,thyme, parsley and rosemary..All of them except the rosemary and chives are in 1/2 barrels in the sun. The chives I have in a pot as I don't use them as much, but the rosemay is in the ground and I wish I'd used a barrel for them. They tend to get large stems and really good sized plants, but since I use them often it's fine..There is nithing like the smell of fresh cut herbs..Dry are fine in many cases, but oh, the fresh is such a delight. I also, grow tomatoes, cucumbers,bell peppers,Italian long green sweet peppers, when I can find see or plants, eggplant. I also have a white peach tree, 3 reg peach trees, a nectarine, tangerine,4 grape plants..A lot to tend too, but worth the work.

kadesma
Old 03-07-2007, 10:33 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
We only have a limited space on our kitchen window sill at the moment, there we keep flat leaved parsley, basil and thyme during the warmer months. They don't endure the winter months, and this period we really miss them... but it is almost time to plant the herbs anew... woohoo!! It is great, they tastes so much better, you wouldn't realize what you are missing until you try the fresh herbs, but you will immediately appreciate the huge difference.
If you have a space even for a little planter, I definitely recommend it, it is very easy to care for them, doesn't take too long before you can "harvest", and the convenience of being able to snip what you need every time, instead of having to buy a big bunch then not knowing what to do with all of them before thy go bad.
When we have more space in our new flat, I would love to expand to some oregano, tiny spring onion herbs, and coriander.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:54 AM   #10
Senior Cook

I grow several of my own herbs, but if I don't grow them I buy them rather than use dried herbs. Fresh parsley and fresh basil are by no means the same as dried parsley or basil. The taste and the aroma are totally different and as far as I'm concerned you can actually ruin a dish with those two dried herbs. The only herb I prefer dried is oregano. It is actually a fact that dried oregano is more potent than fresh and develops a better flavor. I grow rosemary (tons of it lines my driveway) sage, marjoram, and thyme.