Hiking/Backpacking Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bean Cuisine is a brand name here in the States--their packaged bean meals are almost tasty enough to eat at home!!

They use precooked, dehydrated beans, so cooking is quick, and packages are lightweight. Carry some parmesan to sprinkle over the top.

Garlic cloves are lightweight, and add a lot of flavor.

train trips and dried foods

My husband and I have started to take long train trips. Some of the trips don't have the diner car and are 8 hours or more. So I'm going to take some of these ideas and adapt them for the train . I've been thinking of using an insulated lunch bag and one of those heater bags that you just snap the disc to get it to heat up. I think I could add the water into the freezer bag and then let it set for 15 min. or so in the insulated bag. Anyone done things like that and have some suggestions?

We do a lot of tramping (or hiking , as you call it :)). What we take depends on how long we're going for and how far we're walking - the shorter the time / distance, the nicer our food tends to be!

For a short walk, we'll often carry in pre-cooked shrink-wrapped sausages (the brand we prefer is Sizzlers, not sure if that's available in other countries), bread and fresh veges for the first night. On subsequent nights (or the first, if we don't feel like carrying that much weight!) we'll usually cook pasta meals (those ones in foil packets with pasta and powder - just add water) and a packet of dehy veges. We dehydrate cooked mince or stew ourselves sometimes; this tastes good, but we don't get round to it enough. Another favourite of my husbands (but not many of our tramping-mates!) is a packet of instand spud, a packet of dehy veges, and a packet of instant soup, all mixed together. It looks dreadful but is fairly tasty... if you've walked a 12-hour day beforehand. I don't know if I could eat it at home!!!

We don't often buy pre-prepared dehy meals. They taste great, but we find they are often too small for us, and they cost so much. I've heard army 'rat packs' are good, but haven't tried them.

For lunches, we tend to take crackers and something to put on them (peanut butter, usually, although it's pretty heavy). We've tried a lot of brands of crackers, and have pretty much settled on a whole-grain one which is fairly indestrucable and doesn't end up as cracker-crumbs as a rule!

They have plenty of those MREs at a local outdoors store. Very very light and not toooo pricey, but to be honest, I would rather stay away from packaged and likely preservative-filled things.

Some really great ideas though, thanks.

They have plenty of those MREs at a local outdoors store. Very very light and not toooo pricey, but to be honest, I would rather stay away from packaged and likely preservative-filled things.

Some really great ideas though, thanks.

Watch MRE's. They are super high in calorie(on purpose). They can also have some heavy adverse affects on the digestive tract if you aren't used to them.

I also find many of the dehydrated foods also have adverse affects. Make sure to try out anything you take prior to using it on the trail.

Watch MRE's. They are super high in calorie(on purpose).

The back packers I know have trouble finding enough calories to carry with them, so MRE's would be good. I had never heard of them. Weight is a hugh issue with back packers, never heard of one carrying any canned goods with them:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom