Hoki dokey help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry Cobean

Executive Chef
i was in the local frozen food centre yesterday & they had 1kilo(2.2lbs) packs of skinless/boneless hoki fillets for £5.95 or two for £10.they are clear packs and i could see they were big(4 per kilo),good looking/beautifully white fillets with no added water just minimal ice glaze.according to the pack hoki comes from new zealand.
never eaten or cooked hoki before,so of course i bought two packs:wacko:!!
anyone used it before?how would you cook it?what's it like?any good?should i take it back & exchange it?!!

www.sealord.com

This is a white fish similar to a trout & flying fish blend in taste.

One can prepare grilled, on the BBQ or in oven with white wine, herbs and capers, tomato and black olives Or like a Navarran Trout, which is wrapped in Proscuitto di Parma or Jabugo Ham Black Foot or Serrano Ham, and baked in earthenware or pan fried.

Have nice August.
Margaux.

Last edited:
As Margi says, you can't go wrong with a Mediterranean style recipe. Almost all whitefish I eat gets this treatment once and a while. I cook it in foil with a bruschetta type mix on top. Or red pesto is good too. Then, nail it with loads of fresh parsley and lemon before wolfing it down....:pig:It goes so well with buttery veggies and a chilled bottle of Pinot Grigio :cool:

Last edited:
As Margi says, you can't go wrong with a Mediterranean style recipe. Almost all whitefish I eat gets this treatment once and a while. I cook it in foil with a bruschetta type mix on top. Or red pesto is good too. Then, nail it with loads of fresh parsley and lemon before wolfing it down....:pig:It goes so well with buttery veggies and a chilled bottle of Pinot Grigio :cool:
awwww,c'mon now rocky,i was thinking double dip cornmeal fried.....it's all your fault,you got me hooked on the stuff,you can pay for rehab:LOL:!!
i think i'll probably just plain griddle it first,see what the texture/flavour is like & take it from there.but,yes,the med methods work well.maybe baked in foil with garlic,toms,basil,few chilli flakes,some black olives,drop of evoo:yum: or wrapped in pancetta with a couple of sage leaves under the pancetta then roasted? what d'you think?sorry rock,only non bubbly whites i drink are muscadet,picpoul de pinet,chablis & pouilly fume/fuisse.i like my whites flinty & nobody does it better than the french imho

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom