Home Alone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
What do you cook and/or eat when you are by yourself? Many, and I suspect most, of us have spouses, live-ins, or children. What do you eat when it is just you, alone by yourself?

I usually order Chinese food since my dh doesn't care for it. Or a bowl of cereal.

DH is going to be gone for 10 days, and I'm going eat all my favorite goodies. Brats with sauerkraut, hot dogs from the German butcher, bacon and tomato sandwiches, tuna casserole, eggs rolls, fish sandwiches and macaroni and cheese. I'd usually cook up a head of cabbage, but I've been eating so many fresh tomatoes, I'm not sure my system can handle it. :ermm:

I have the foods she doesn't like. Duck, some Armenian dishes, etc. Or Chinese, KFC, Pizza take out

Ah the luxury of anything I desire:LOL: one of my favorites a fried egg sandwich, rib lamb chops with parsley and garlic at least 3, a plate of sliced tomatoes and a slice of french bread to dip in the evoo and vinegar, a nice piece of calves liver with bacon and onions..Hot chocolate and several pieces of toast dripping with butter to dunk in the drink..A small bowl of well buttered popcorn and a cold drink and a good movie to watch..MY favorite in between meals snack as my dinner is a flour tortilla with pepper jack cheese melted on it YUM!

kadesma:LOL:

My favorite is angel hair pasta (one form of pasta my husband and most of my family simply do not care for) with veggies. A sort of pasta primavera. Lots of olive oil, hot pepper (in the winter flakes, in the summer from the garden) and garlic seasoning. So it becomes a warm pasta salad.

Alone

Being alone for few days really made me realize how my life revolves around the people I live with. Their likes and dislikes, and what they can and cannot have, play such a big role in what I eat. One doesn't like eggs, other fish, and others just will eat anything.

I did eat lot of eggs when they were gone and felt so unusual to enjoy them by myself. I like to have the experience of picking and choosing but wouldn't want this all the time. Started wondering strange things, like what if this would be permanent and if I locked the door? Normal things I take for granted. It is change but don't like it to be too long.

Enjoy your time. I am sure your little dog will wonder what happened? She can have more attention too if that is possible. I know she gets plenty.

Since dear husband doesn't eat any red meat, I usually treat myself to a beef, lamb, or pork dish when he won't be eating at home.

For instance, tonight he's going to a concert with a friend after work, so I have a nice chuck steak (one of my favorite cuts) marinating in oil, dry sherry, soy sauce, & chopped fresh garlic. Will sear/grill it in my cast-iron grill pan & enjoy it topped with butter/sherry sauteed mushrooms & Vidalia onions, along with fresh spinach sauteed with garlic, & a nice baked potato.

And here he thinks I'm so lovingly accommodating to his nights' out without me simply because I'm such a terrific person - lol, lol, lol!!!!!

Good

Way to go, Breezy, same way I feel. If they are having fun, I will too. Sounds very good. You sure you didn't make enough for two? Who wants company when you want to indulge yourself? I'll be thinking of you.

Lol! Actually, while I nearly always finish my potato & spinach, there's always some steak left over. I just save it for the next day to enjoy as part of a "steak & eggs" breakfast. I know, I know - 2 meals in a row that are heart attacks on a plate - lol!!! But I eat pretty much uber-healthy the rest of the time.

Loprraine said:
Pasta. Jacques Pepin has a great recipe for bowtie pasta with a soft cooked egg on it. Noone else in the house will eat it.:)

:ohmy: - That's very similar to what I will make for myself too!!! If I have a couple pieces of bacon that goes in there too :blush:

Most times it's something like pasta and either a canned spaghetti sauce or what I used to LOVE as a child - butter, garlic powder, salt, and a bit of dried parsley. Also, cottage cheese in good in pasta too you just have to heat it a bit to get it to melt.

I've also got a homemade chili oil I keep in my cupboard and that drizzled over pasta is pretty good, quick, and easy.

Fried egg and tomato sandwich or grilled ham/mozzarella/tomato sandwich.

Lamb Chops,Chips and dip,Lobster ,things I hate to share or feel guilty about eating.

I love to heat up a jar of B&M Baked Beans that I eat with Ruffles potato chips. I actually scoop the beans up with a chip and eat them that way. Don't know why I love this combo but it's one of my favorites. (I don't eat them out of the jar, though. Don't want ya'll to think I have no manners!)

Back
Top Bottom