"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-31-2012, 05:31 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, tim. you might want to remove your location under your name...

this thread has made me think of the legal issues involved in a party that i used to cater at work.

until i was shifted onto midnights at work, i catered my department's holiday party every december. it started out many years ago only for about the immediate 15 people in our shop, plus about another 15 guests or so. but it became so popular that i think i served around 100+ people in my last few years of doing it. all of the cooking was done in my little home kitchen, and the food was delivered to my building in the back seat of my truck. i have food stains on the seats to prove it.

one of the things that i realized as the party grew each year was that i'd really better pay attention to how perfectly clean everything needed to be, and how the food was kept before being delivered to the party. all it would take for it to come crashing down and me become a disgusting pariah was for just one person to get sick. fortunately, that never happened.

the last 2 years of "my" party, my supervisor offered to help by bringing in a spiral sliced ham because there were just so many people from all corners of our company showing up unexpected. i mentioned to him about all of the servsafe rules that i'd read about (thanks to folks here), so when he brought in the ham he remarked about how the same ideas of someone getting sick scared him, so he scrubbed and disinfected every inch of his kitchen to the great amusement of his wife.

these last two decembers saw the party moved to another shop, catered by a small italian restaurant across the street from my building. according to reports from coworkers (i didn't go since again, i'm on midnight shifts) the food was barely mediocre, and shamefully ran out before a good third of the coworkers who helped pay for it arrived, not to mention late arriving invited guests.

more than a half dozen coworkers have come to me since this past year's party asking me to take it over again. unless they give me 2 paid days off from work to pull it off, i'm not considering it.

but in light of this thread, i wonder what the laws would be if someone did actually get sick from my unregulated home catering? could i be held responsible in any way? i guess i'd have to try to look up the food service laws of both new jersey, where the food is perpared, and n.y. state, where it is served.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:47 AM   #12
Master Chef

bucky,

I think the feds would be after you for racketeering/RICO or some such thing for taking bad chow across state lines!

It is best to always leave the party early, as a winner!

They will continue to add kudos to your reputation based on your past deeds!

Old 01-31-2012, 06:08 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, aunt bea. yeah, i'm sure the past will get better as every year passes.

for $650, i made 2 full trays of lasagna (one meat, one veggie), 3 full trays of sunday gravy (meatballs, sausage, pork rib ends, veggies), 1 full tray of pasta primavera (for a few lactose intolerant coworkers), 2 full trays of pulled pork, and 2 full trays of a loaded mesculun salad. also, italian and french breads, slider rolls, salad dressings, grayed cheese, soda, beer, and wine.

it would take me about 14 hours to pull it off, cooking through the night. i guess it worked out since the labor was free.

every year we had leftovers for lunch the next day. thank god for costco.

getting back to the topic, i wonder if - besides the law - my very litigious company would allow such a thing anymore, just in case someone gets sick from it during work hours? we never invited any corporate lawyers, lol.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:11 AM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
lol, aunt bea. yeah, i'm sure the past will get better as every year passes.

for $650, i made 2 full trays of lasagna (one meat, one veggie), 3 full trays of sunday gravy (meatballs, sausage, pork rib ends, veggies), 1 full tray of pasta primavera (for a few lactose intolerant coworkers), 2 full trays of pulled pork, and 2 full trays of a loaded mesculun salad. also, italian and french breads, slider rolls, salad dressings, grayed cheese, soda, beer, and wine.

it would take me about 14 hours to pull it off, cooking through the night. i guess it worked out since the labor was free.

every year we had leftovers for lunch the next day. thank god for costco.

getting back to the topic, i wonder if - besides the law - my very litigious company would allow such a thing anymore, just in case someone gets sick from it during work hours? we never invited any corporate lawyers, lol.
Where I worked it would be ignored until a problem came up and then they left you twisting in the wind!
Old 01-31-2012, 06:25 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, you must have worked here! even with a union.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:30 AM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
lol, you must have worked here! even with a union.

The lawyers had ,what was for me, an interesting approach. We had very few written policies. If you have a policy you can be criticized for not policing it or someone might find a loophole. So they viewed each problem with shock and amazement. The company was almost never at fault. The upside was that we got to meet a lot of new people!
Old 01-31-2012, 10:00 AM   #17
Head Chef

Dear Tim,

Sorry we have been neglecting you, but last night, we moved the satellite to its new position over St Augustine.

Yours truly,

The Gummint

P.S. You need to wash your car.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:23 AM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

My "catering" business was more like I was a hired cook for an event. I made the desserts in my home, they were the only thing made in my kitchen. My customers would tell me the type of party they wanted, the foods they wanted served. It was up to me to create the menu, do the shopping, cooking and cleaning...in their home kitchen with their equipment. This was a select customer base that I cooked for, including my boss and his friends. I worked in the most fantastic dream home kitchens.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:59 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post
Dear Tim,

Sorry we have been neglecting you, but last night, we moved the satellite to its new position over St Augustine.

Yours truly,

The Gummint

P.S. You need to wash your car.
Ha! Good one! MY house shows clearly on Google Earth. They even used some kind of tall truck to take a photo over my 8 foot privacy fence.

My friends call my fence "Tim's Fort". You should hear the rumors in my neighborhood about me.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:09 PM   #20
Head Chef

Then you should give them some drums in the night, restless natives style. Or a Theremin.

Tags
baking