"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-04-2010, 12:34 PM   #1
Master Chef

Home cooked vs prepared

Anyone else have this problem? You work for hours to prepare a home cooked meal, only to discover that the people you're feeding would just as soon have had something from a jar or the freezer department of the grocery store. Thank heaven that isn't my husband isn't that way or I'd have quit cooking decades ago. My mother, an excellent cook, even uses instant mashed potatoes because she realized the kids (my nieces and nephews) actually couldn't taste the difference. Red tomato spaghetti sauce. I dislike from the jars because they taste so sweet (I llike the tart in a real tomato). I looked it up, and sure as heck, one big ingredient in most of them is corn syrup. Again, I'm lucky that my husband has the same tastes as me, Mom never put sugar in her red sauce and neither do I. But yes, she quit making it because everyone likes that sugary taste.

Now I will say most of my friends and my sisters prefer the way I fix something, which makes it worthwhile. But, seriously, do any of you every wonder why you bother? I know I wonder when it comes to young parents today. They both work all day, and when they have time to make a big family meal, they simply discover that their spouses and kids would have preferred it if they just opened stuff, nuked it, and splatted it on a paper plate.

Old 07-04-2010, 01:05 PM   #2
Head Chef

Yes, my husband was raised by a working mom that didn't cook much. He likes prepared stuff. But, I don't cook for him, I cook for me. Over the years he has come to appreciate all that I do in the kitchen... wait, I hear him now, doing the dishes and cleaning up after I made breakfast (didn't have much available, so made ham and cheese crepes... crepes from scratch, fried smoked ham slices-as in sandwich stuff, and some american cheese slices melted in milk; crepe, ham slices, scrambled eggs, roll up, top with cheese sauce), he does love my cooking, and I've learned to compromise... no really chunky veggies in pasta sauce, no broccoli in family meals (although I might prepare some on the side), etc.
No, I don't get worked up over it.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:26 PM   #3
Head Chef

People often say to me, don't bother because my friends won't know the difference... But the difference is I notice, and like Wyogal, I cook for me, not for everyone else and I refuse to use things from a jar, or nuked... It's a personal preference, to each his own...
Old 07-04-2010, 01:35 PM   #4
Head Chef

actually, I combine techniques and prepared food. I will use a jar or can or box of something. but, pick and choose which product I use.

Old 07-04-2010, 01:44 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

My mom and m-i-l both made pasta sauce from scratch. My dh's mom would have had a fit if her son got pasta sauce from a jar, Yikes I hate to think of the argument that would have come about if she saw a jar here. It takes time to do it her way but, I remember the wonderful smells that filled the house. Nothing like it.DH does not say a word when I dook things he loves or things that are new to him he always says thank you and is alwyys telling his buddies what we had for dinner. I think I'm lucky and love to cook for Ma's gang
kades
Old 07-04-2010, 01:49 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
My mom and m-i-l both made pasta sauce from scratch. My dh's mom would have had a fit if her son got pasta sauce from a jar, Yikes I hate to think of the argument that would have come about if she saw a jar here. It takes time to do it her way but, I remember the wonderful smells that filled the house. Nothing like it.DH does not say a word when I dook things he loves or things that are new to him he always says thank you and is alwyys telling his buddies what we had for dinner. I think I'm lucky and love to cook for Ma's gang
kades
I agree Kades there is nothing better than a big pot of sauce on the stove simmering, the smell of frying meatballs in the air, and the wonderful crusty bread everyone takes to dip and taste... YUM YUM YUM...
Old 07-04-2010, 02:12 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Lately, yes, with my kids gone until all hours, and not much liking leftovers. It doesn't seem to pay. I'm either throwing food out, or sticking it in the freezer THEN throwing it out.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:35 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Box and canned cooking is here to stay because of "time". Two parents working to pay taxes and tend to kids. I was luckey enough to be home early and start dinner, back then. I started making scratch cakes when I read the ingredients on the box one day. If you never eat better food you'll likely never know the difference.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:41 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

i find the "i cook for me" answers interesting. i'm the exact opposite. if i cooked mostly with myself in mind, i wouldn't cook very often at all. rather, i'd eat out in a restaurant 5 or 6 times a week.

i only try to cook what i think dw and our son will eat. i only consider a dish successful if they (or other guests) enjoy it. my greatest joy is seeing them go for seconds, and conversely i'm deflated if they can barely choke some down.

on rare occasions, i'll make something unhealthy that i know dw won't eat, but it's only if i make something seperate for her as well, or she's already taken care of her meal for herself.

as far as prepared/packaged/processed food goes, it mostly falls into unhealthy categories, so they're an immediate no-no. i find far too much of those foods way too salty for my tastes anyway, so it's easy to avoid.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:45 AM   #10
Head Chef

meaning it's a hobby for me... and yes, I enjoy cooking things that others enjoy. But, I'm the "foodie" in the house, and they would be satisfied with what I would consider lesser quality food.