"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-24-2012, 04:07 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Snip, thanks for the suggestions. TL, no I didn't throw it out. I was so tired at that point that I decided to defer the decision. I was thinking the same thing, that it looks like salad dressing and has pretty much the same stuff. I was also waiting to see if there were any suggestions if it could be recovered, but I doubt it.

Plan #1 right now is to go get Ratio and I'll head over to the library--their online catalog claims it's on the shelf at my local branch.

Also, I'm going to have a look over everybody's suggestions and probably pick one, then stop by the market and get anything required ingredient wise. I'm leaning towards fish.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:15 PM   #22
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
Well I'm sorry to say: total fail.

My mayonnaise never emulsified. I ended up with something resembling Italian salad dressing. I can't find the website now, I must have closed the window.
Was your egg cold?

Did you hold the blender right over the egg until it started to form a stiff mixture before you started to blend?

Quote:
I hit it with an immersion blender for probably an hour. It always looked like it was going to emulsify but it never did.
When it works it only takes about 25 seconds.

Quote:
This is one of my biggest cooking defeats in years.
It took me a few attempts before I got it to work.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #23
Executive Chef

I got the message and warmed the egg to room temperature. Otherwise I've kind of forgotten the details. I was frustrated and tired and hungry, and getting progressively more grumpy by the minute!

And yeah, I didn't expect the whole thing to take more than several minutes from measuring ingredients to putting it in a storage container.

I expect to try it again tonight. I'm leaning towards the Lemon Aioli suggestion although I'm going to take a quick peek at Ruhlman's book before making a final decision.

Salmon sounds good at the moment. I usually broil it over the gas grill so I think I'll poach it, to give the mayo a maximum opportunity to star without any competition from other flavors.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:12 PM   #24
Head Chef

Funny to see this post today, as I have just finished making mayo with my stick blender. Also made seasoned bread crumbs. Now I thought I might use the mayo to coat some of my ravioli, then coat them with the crumbs, and deep-fry them and a side of sweet potato fries. Roasted tomato sauce on the side.I'll let you know how they turn out.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
Well I'm sorry to say: total fail.

I did a google search on home made mayonnaise or something like that, and took the first result. The directions looked reasonable so I followed them.

My mayonnaise never emulsified. I ended up with something resembling Italian salad dressing. I can't find the website now, I must have closed the window.

I hit it with an immersion blender for probably an hour. It always looked like it was going to emulsify but it never did. I finally sauteed some fillet mignon strips and made tacos...

I reserved "Ratio" and there's 2-3 copies in the public library system within driving distance if the library doesn't just pull the copy off the shelf at my local branch and put it on their hold shelf. (The way things are going they'll probably send it from South LA, but if they do at least I can go over to my local branch and just pick it off the shelf.)

This is one of my biggest cooking defeats in years.
IMHO a blender does a much better job of making mayo than a stick blender.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:05 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
My nicest textured homemade mayo was made with a mixer. Okay, the stuff I made by hand with a whisk had great texture too, but it seemed to take forever.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
My nicest textured homemade mayo was made with a mixer. Okay, the stuff I made by hand with a whisk had great texture too, but it seemed to take forever.
We made it in Home Ec by hand and you certainly developed some muscles.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:13 PM   #28
Head Chef

Finished product:
Old 10-24-2012, 11:35 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
IMHO a blender does a much better job of making mayo than a stick blender.
Well aready I've had my second fail, and working on the third.

I'm going to have to put my salmon in the oven pretty soon. (I'm oven baking/steaming it in a foil packet.)
Old 10-25-2012, 12:00 AM   #30
Executive Chef

Sorry to say I've had my 3rd fail and working on the 4th.

I followed Ruhlman's basic recipe... I got his cookbook. )

Unfortunately I got another total fail. Salad dressing, assuming I add vinegar

Tags
mayonnaise, recipe