Home made mayonnaise: ISO suggestion what recipe to use it in

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greg Who Cooks

Executive Chef
Both of my immersion blenders have been in storage for aeons. (AKA "stick" blenders.) Some months back here in the forum we discussed "Ratio" by Michael Ruhlman, so I got a copy and read it and got a whole lot of good cooking ideas from the book. (Thank you whoever brought it up!)

The day I read the mayonnaise chapter I made up my mind then and there that I would make home made mayonnaise some day when I had my stick blenders back. Well that day is today! I went over to my storage yesterday hoping to find the stick blenders somewhere near the top, but they must be down in the Jurassic or Cretaceous layers. I would have needed explosives to break them free and I think it's pretty safe to say the storage company has rules against that. ;)

Next stop, Bed Bath & Beyond, and now I have two Cuisinart stick blenders! Maybe when I get my stuff unpacked I can use both stick blenders at the same time, one in each hand... I don't know what I'll do with the third one (a Hamilton-Beach) two speed. Hold it in my teeth? Get my dog to help in my cooking? Well that problem is moot at the present because the other two blenders are still fossilizing at my storage unit... (I wonder if they use iridium in stick blender manufacture. That would be a clue that I could find them at the K-T boundary...)

I can hear the audience now: "Greg, cut the comic act and get to the point!" Okay, okay, I'm still soaking up coffee and my blood stream has almost reached a normal operating level of caffeine...

According to Ruhlman the recipe for making mayonnaise is silly simple as long as you have a stick blender, so I have the necessary equipment and I've got plenty of eggs and EVOO, so making mayonnaise isn't going to be a problem.

The point:

I'm looking for a dinner entree suggestion that would benefit from home made mayonnaise. I suppose I could just make hamburgers--I always put mayo on my burgers--but I'm looking for something a little bit more sleek and sophisticated. According to the book, basic mayonnaise is just the branching off point, and that there are an almost infinite varieties of flavored mayonnaise to choose from, or make your own custom flavored mayonnaise.

I haven't yet made the choice of fins, hoofs or feathers but I guarantee some kind of animal is going to give up its all to contribute to my dinner enjoyment. How about some suggestions on what to cook that would go well with home made mayonnaise?

I assume I will get a winner idea later in this topic :) and I can google a recipe to cook that entree, so there's no need to provide a full recipe in the topic, although suggestions about how to make the flavored mayo that goes with that dish would be appreciated. I'm assuming you (1) make home made mayonnaise, then (2) add one or more items to flavor it. I can google how to make mayo since I already returned Ruhlman's book to the public library.

So what shall I cook tonight? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Tartar(e) sauce, lovely with fish.

Coronation chicken (supposedly invented for the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II- Kate and Willls grandmother). The original recipe is quite time consuming but there are quick versions around using left over chicken.

Rouille, a type of mayo, nice on fish soup.

I love mayo and often use different herbs or purees that go with whatever I am having.

One in each hand - I am overawed by your talent:LOL::LOL:

Tuna salad, it's great on a salad on a hot day as supper.

Homemade mayo is great with French fries.

Of course it is a great start to a homemade salad dressing.

Mix basic mayo with cooled roasted garlic puree and serve with vegetable tempura or deep fried aubergine.
Mix some capers and chopped dill pickles into mayo and serve with toasted bruchetta topped with cold smoked salmon or trout.
Add some hot english mustard and touch of sweetened condensed milk and serve as a dip for smoked pork sausages.
Add some pickled green peppercorns or jalapeno's and serve with carpaccio.
Make fresh shrimp cocktail
Serve on potato blini's with a bit of salmon roe or caviar....

Mix basic mayo with cooled roasted garlic puree and serve with vegetable tempura or deep fried aubergine.
Mix some capers and chopped dill pickles into mayo and serve with toasted bruchetta topped with cold smoked salmon or trout.
Add some hot english mustard and touch of sweetened condensed milk and serve as a dip for smoked pork sausages.
Add some pickled green peppercorns or jalapeno's and serve with carpaccio.
Make fresh shrimp cocktail
Serve on potato blini's with a bit of salmon roe or caviar....

Thank you for sharing Snip :)

According to Ruhlman the recipe for making mayonnaise is silly simple as long as you have a stick blender, so I have the necessary equipment and I've got plenty of eggs and EVOO, so making mayonnaise isn't going to be a problem.

Very simple to make. But do not use cold eggs, bring them up to room temp first.

This is how I make it
Easy Mayonnaise / mayonesa - YouTube

I love homemade mayo on homemade ww bread with slices of garden fresh tomatoes and jalapeno peppers...not really an entree...

I have a chicken-broccoli recipe that I make with mayo. I'll have to dig it out if you're interested.

Well I'm sorry to say: total fail.

I did a google search on home made mayonnaise or something like that, and took the first result. The directions looked reasonable so I followed them.

My mayonnaise never emulsified. I ended up with something resembling Italian salad dressing. I can't find the website now, I must have closed the window.

I hit it with an immersion blender for probably an hour. It always looked like it was going to emulsify but it never did. I finally sauteed some fillet mignon strips and made tacos...

I reserved "Ratio" and there's 2-3 copies in the public library system within driving distance if the library doesn't just pull the copy off the shelf at my local branch and put it on their hold shelf. (The way things are going they'll probably send it from South LA, but if they do at least I can go over to my local branch and just pick it off the shelf.)

This is one of my biggest cooking defeats in years.

Well I'm sorry to say: total fail.

I did a google search on home made mayonnaise or something like that, and took the first result. The directions looked reasonable so I followed them.

My mayonnaise never emulsified. I ended up with something resembling Italian salad dressing. I can't find the website now, I must have closed the window.

I hit it with an immersion blender for probably an hour. It always looked like it was going to emulsify but it never did. I finally sauteed some fillet mignon strips and made tacos...

I reserved "Ratio" and there's 2-3 copies in the public library system within driving distance if the library doesn't just pull the copy off the shelf at my local branch and put it on their hold shelf. (The way things are going they'll probably send it from South LA, but if they do at least I can go over to my local branch and just pick it off the shelf.)

This is one of my biggest cooking defeats in years.

Bummer! Try this recipe, I use it and so far no flops yet :LOL:

Homemade Mayonnaise Recipe : Anne Burrell : Recipes : Food Network

Bummer about the mayo fiasco, Greg. I'm sure there is some sort of lesson there. ;)

If you haven't thrown it out, I think it should still make a decent dipping sauce or dipping sauce base and can be used in a homemade salad dressing. It should have all the flavour, just not the texture.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom