"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-23-2012, 10:30 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Home made mayonnaise: ISO suggestion what recipe to use it in

Both of my immersion blenders have been in storage for aeons. (AKA "stick" blenders.) Some months back here in the forum we discussed "Ratio" by Michael Ruhlman, so I got a copy and read it and got a whole lot of good cooking ideas from the book. (Thank you whoever brought it up!)

The day I read the mayonnaise chapter I made up my mind then and there that I would make home made mayonnaise some day when I had my stick blenders back. Well that day is today! I went over to my storage yesterday hoping to find the stick blenders somewhere near the top, but they must be down in the Jurassic or Cretaceous layers. I would have needed explosives to break them free and I think it's pretty safe to say the storage company has rules against that.

Next stop, Bed Bath & Beyond, and now I have two Cuisinart stick blenders! Maybe when I get my stuff unpacked I can use both stick blenders at the same time, one in each hand... I don't know what I'll do with the third one (a Hamilton-Beach) two speed. Hold it in my teeth? Get my dog to help in my cooking? Well that problem is moot at the present because the other two blenders are still fossilizing at my storage unit... (I wonder if they use iridium in stick blender manufacture. That would be a clue that I could find them at the K-T boundary...)

I can hear the audience now: "Greg, cut the comic act and get to the point!" Okay, okay, I'm still soaking up coffee and my blood stream has almost reached a normal operating level of caffeine...

According to Ruhlman the recipe for making mayonnaise is silly simple as long as you have a stick blender, so I have the necessary equipment and I've got plenty of eggs and EVOO, so making mayonnaise isn't going to be a problem.

The point:

I'm looking for a dinner entree suggestion that would benefit from home made mayonnaise. I suppose I could just make hamburgers--I always put mayo on my burgers--but I'm looking for something a little bit more sleek and sophisticated. According to the book, basic mayonnaise is just the branching off point, and that there are an almost infinite varieties of flavored mayonnaise to choose from, or make your own custom flavored mayonnaise.

I haven't yet made the choice of fins, hoofs or feathers but I guarantee some kind of animal is going to give up its all to contribute to my dinner enjoyment. How about some suggestions on what to cook that would go well with home made mayonnaise?

I assume I will get a winner idea later in this topic and I can google a recipe to cook that entree, so there's no need to provide a full recipe in the topic, although suggestions about how to make the flavored mayo that goes with that dish would be appreciated. I'm assuming you (1) make home made mayonnaise, then (2) add one or more items to flavor it. I can google how to make mayo since I already returned Ruhlman's book to the public library.

So what shall I cook tonight? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Old 10-23-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
Wine Guy

Any kind of fish with Lemon Aioli is a good choice.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Tartar(e) sauce, lovely with fish.

Coronation chicken (supposedly invented for the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II- Kate and Willls grandmother). The original recipe is quite time consuming but there are quick versions around using left over chicken.

Rouille, a type of mayo, nice on fish soup.

I love mayo and often use different herbs or purees that go with whatever I am having.

One in each hand - I am overawed by your talent
Old 10-23-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Tuna salad, it's great on a salad on a hot day as supper.

Homemade mayo is great with French fries.

Of course it is a great start to a homemade salad dressing.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:40 PM   #5
Master Chef

Mix basic mayo with cooled roasted garlic puree and serve with vegetable tempura or deep fried aubergine.
Mix some capers and chopped dill pickles into mayo and serve with toasted bruchetta topped with cold smoked salmon or trout.
Add some hot english mustard and touch of sweetened condensed milk and serve as a dip for smoked pork sausages.
Add some pickled green peppercorns or jalapeno's and serve with carpaccio.
Make fresh shrimp cocktail
Serve on potato blini's with a bit of salmon roe or caviar....

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I've seen recipes that call for spreading flavored mayo on fish or chicken cutlets, then breading and pan-frying.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Crab cakes. You can add some garlic to the mayonnaise then you get to call it an aioli.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:21 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
Mix basic mayo with cooled roasted garlic puree and serve with vegetable tempura or deep fried aubergine.
Mix some capers and chopped dill pickles into mayo and serve with toasted bruchetta topped with cold smoked salmon or trout.
Add some hot english mustard and touch of sweetened condensed milk and serve as a dip for smoked pork sausages.
Add some pickled green peppercorns or jalapeno's and serve with carpaccio.
Make fresh shrimp cocktail
Serve on potato blini's with a bit of salmon roe or caviar....
Thank you for sharing Snip
Old 10-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
Thank you for sharing Snip
My pleasure Kylie

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Crab cakes. You can add some garlic to the mayonnaise then you get to call it an aioli.
That sounds good!

Do you buy fresh crabs Andy or frozen crab meat?

Tags
mayonnaise, recipe