Home Made Potato Chips - storing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

petey

Senior Cook
I've been making home made potato chips in my deep fryer and was wondering if i can make batches and store them in large Ziploc bags to consume later in the week. Is this possible? Or will they go bad?

Make sure they are completely cool. I would keep them in a ziplock bag. If you think they are a big greasy just put a paper towel in the bottom of the bag. Part of me would also want to keep them in the refrigerator.

kitchenelf said:
Make sure they are completely cool. I would keep them in a ziplock bag. If you think they are a big greasy just put a paper towel in the bottom of the bag. Part of me would also want to keep them in the refrigerator.

Refridgerated chips dont sound too appetizing:ermm:

What do potato chip companies do to stabilize their chips?

Last edited:
I would just eat them right away and not store them. Stores use preservatives to keep their product fresh, but I assume the idea behind making home made chips is to eat them right away. I dont know how one would keep them crisp without preservatives.

LOL - I'm sure you can keep them out on the counter. I often keep crackers and chips in the refrigerator. But the counter will be just fine. I really don't know what the stabilizer is in chips. The most important thing is completely cooling before bagging.

There are no preservatives in potato chips other than salt. At least , not in Lay's. I believe they fill the bags with nitrogen gas before sealing but I don't know if that's to preserve freshness or for another reason.

I think the only concern would be keeping them away from humidity so they'll stay crispy.

I like my chips fresh from the fryer. Andy's comparison to Lay's is understandable only if one has never made homemade chips.

I wasn't comparing Lay's to homemade.

I was simply saying that store bought chips did not have added preservatives.

Well Andy, I don't know how to store my homemade chips, if I don't eat them all at once, I will put the leftovers in an air proof container, but that is less than satisfactory. How do you store yours?

I think the technology for storage of chips is well known in the food industry but it is either unavailable or unacceptable at home.

cliveb said:
I'd say - stick 'em in a ziploc and leave them for two weeks - then try them!

I love your technical method... I will forever call this the CLIVE test.. Seems like the best method to me...

-Brad

skilletlicker said:
Well Andy, I don't know how to store my homemade chips, if I don't eat them all at once, I will put the leftovers in an air proof container, but that is less than satisfactory. How do you store yours?

I think the technology for storage of chips is well known in the food industry but it is either unavailable or unacceptable at home.

I think an airtight container is the best you can do. Of course, you could just open another beer and finish them off...

My homemade potato chips don't last long enough to store - lol!! But I also make them in very small batches using a Martha Stewart recipe. You slice the potatoes paper-thin on a mandoline & then shallow-fry them in about 1/2" or so of extra-virgin olive oil. Remove, drain, sprinkle with a little salt, & then go to town.

I've had people actually standing over me waiting to burn their hands on the hot chips as they came out of the skillet - lol!!!!

shpj4 said:
I would eat the Home Made Potato Chips and not store them.

Question is......do you want to lug out the deep fryer, wash and slice the potatoes & wait for the oil to heat up , cook them , and then clean the deep fryer everytime you want chips on the fly? And thats assuming that you have potatoes on hand. Dont get me wrong, I prefer fresh chips as much as anyone else but then there's the convenience factor .:cool:

Skipping over commercial processing techniques for frying, grease removal and cooling to get straight to storage:

Chips that go into bags are preserved by the bags being filled with nitrogen gas - nitrogen is inert and slows down the oxidation of the oil which cause them to go rancid. It also works as an air cushion which prevents the chips from being crushed in transportation and handling.

Chips that go into cans, like Pringles or Lay's Stax for example, are protected from crushing by the "can" - so they are preserved by vacuum sealing to remove the oxygen.

Both of these techniques also help remove humidity from the package which would lead to loss of crispness and staling.

Storing your chips in a ziplock bag might be good for 1-2 days ... but the vacuum cannister sounds like a better solution.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom