"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-31-2011, 02:24 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Home-made tortilla (sharing success)

I made tortillas yesterday and it was so tasty that I could eat it alone by itself.

2 cups flour (weighint N ounces)
0.55*N ounces of milk
2-4 tbsp of cold butter, worked into the flour
1 tsp salt

Form a dough, knead until smooth and let rest for 30 minutes. then separate into 8 equal portion, roll each into a 7-8 inch round, place in a hot cast iron pan and let it burn

When it's done, I cover them immediately with plastic wrap so they becomes soft and moist and ready for fajita

Old 05-31-2011, 02:36 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Looks good. Congrats!

I'll have to try this sometime. Were you able to get them as thin as the commercial ones using a rolling pin?

Old 05-31-2011, 03:03 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Looks good. Congrats!

I'll have to try this sometime. Were you able to get them as thin as the commercial ones using a rolling pin?
it surprises me but it does get very thin. All you need to do is roll it out to at least 7 inches big and it'll be thin after you cook it.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:07 PM   #4
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
it surprises me but it does get very thin. All you need to do is roll it out to at least 7 inches big and it'll be thin after you cook it.
I made some and they were to thin :(
Old 05-31-2011, 03:17 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaN80 View Post
I made some and they were to thin :(
did your tortilla form pockets of air when cooked?
Old 05-31-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
did your tortilla form pockets of air when cooked?
That seems to happen with flour tortillas, even when done with a press. Never seen it happen with masa.

Craig
Old 05-31-2011, 03:33 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
That seems to happen with flour tortillas, even when done with a press. Never seen it happen with masa.

Craig
its a good thing though, it makes the tortilla light and airy and the bubbles can easily browned which tastes good
Old 06-01-2011, 06:38 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

When I make flour tortillas, I use a rolling pin covered with a "sock" and roll them on my Bethany Pastry Board Amazon.com: Bethany Pastry Board and Cloth Set: Home & Garden. I then cook them on my electric lefse griddle (also from Bethany--Heritage Grill). A lefse griddle heats to 500 F.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:03 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
When I make flour tortillas, I use a rolling pin covered with a "sock" and roll them on my Bethany Pastry Board Amazon.com: Bethany Pastry Board and Cloth Set: Home & Garden. I then cook them on my electric lefse griddle (also from Bethany--Heritage Grill). A lefse griddle heats to 500 F.

To questions:

What does the sock on the rolling pin do?

Do you cook your tortillas at 500 F?
Old 06-02-2011, 10:57 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't know what the sock does--my grandmother taught me how to make lefse when I was nine (a long, long time ago--she died when I was 13 and she's been gone for almost 40 years--you do the math) and we always used the "flatbread" rolling pin with a sock on it. I use my regular rolling pin with a sock on it when I roll tortillas. I flour (season) the sock--the cloth on the board is also seasoned with flour. I don't know why we use the sock--but the dough doesn't stick. If you can see the "lines" on the board through the dough, it is "just right." Ditto for my grandma's flat bread recipe.

I start the griddle at 500 and adjust it down if the tortillas/lefse are browning too quickly (too many big spots, the "dough" is not cooking--it is easier to explain with lefse--too yellow because of the potatoes--lefse has leftover mashed potatoes in it. You don't want shoe-leather <g>, so if the griddle is too hot, you end up with shoe leather. It has to be pliable. I cook the tortillas as if they were lefse--they are, without the mashed potatoes...so if there are too many "brown" spots, I drop the heat. I don't mind a few little tan/brown spots, but I don't want to burn the tortilla/lefse. If I am counting too long, I up the heat. (one-thousand...to one thirty thousand, flip, and start over for the other side). That's how my grandma taught me to count to time lefse and it works for flour tortillas. Sorry, this is just one of those things that is "genetic."

I forgot to mention the special "lefse" turning stick...