Homemade Antipasto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Antipasto is a course of a meal, not a specific thing.

It's the first course in a traditional Italian meal and can be many different things -- cheeses, meats, vegetables, grains/legumes, etc.

Antipasto platters are popular starters and might include cured meats, cheeses, artichokes, olives, white beans, etc.

My favourite antipasto is bruschetta, very tasty and very easy!

Chop onion and garlic finely and mix with chopped tomatoes, chopped basil and olive oil. Add to the top of some toasted French bread.

Hi, I usually buy Gourmet antipasto at Costco and was wondering if anyone has a homemade recipe.
Thanks.
Sandie

Hi Sandie,
I love it too and have been trying to duplicate it also. I tried this on the weekend and it comes pretty close.

25 cups of cut up vegies (cuc's, zuch's, carrots, celery, peppers, beans yellow and green, cauliflower, onions, garlic, olives frozen peas, canned mushrooms, sweet pickles with juice, olives black and green.

1 jar V8 veg juice
4 cups vinegar
1 cup canola oil
4 cups ketchup
2 small cans tomato paste
2 Tbsp hot pepper sauce

Bring liquids to a boil and add veggies starting with those that are harder to cook like carrots and end with frozen peas. then add...

2 cups fresh spices (basil, oregano, parsley, cilantro, thyme)
1 Tbsp cinnamon
6 cans of spicy thai tuna (85g)

Bring to a boil, pack in hot seril jars and put in water bath for 25 min. (25 min of rolling boil) ENJOY!!!

Last edited:
This recipe scares me a little.

I have always thought that meat and fish needed to be canned using a pressure canning process. Is the water bath acceptable because the tuna has already been processed once?

I always thought of antipasto as being a platter of meats and cheese with bread and maybe a topping for the bread. It is amazing sometimes what we call different foods.

I always thought of antipasto as being a platter of meats and cheese with bread and maybe a topping for the bread. It is amazing sometimes what we call different foods.
In North America, it seems that that "vegetable pickle with tuna and olives" is called antipasto. Canadian Living published this recipe:

Vegetable Antipasto recipe - Canadian Living

Note that it is recommended to add the tuna and olives when serving.

Here's one for the freezer that contains tuna and olives. Not sure on the safety factor for that--I've never frozen either canned tuna or olives. I do, however, make freezer pickles...

Rayna's Freezer Antipasto Recipe - Allrecipes.com

True!

For example here in Italy they can serve you quite everything as an antipasto, from frittata to clams, from cold cuts to raw vegetables, from savory pies to bruschetta, the list is quite endless.
This "Gourmet Antipasto", for example, in some way reminds me of Giardiniera, an Italian antipasto in which you boil various vegetable in wine vinegar.

yummy antipasto

I have made antipasto for years this way, with no problem whatsoever. This recipe was to try to imitate Costco's antipasto and it comes pretty darn close. And it does not scare me either!!!!
Hi Sandie,
I love it too and have been trying to duplicate it also. I tried this on the weekend and it comes pretty close.

25 cups of cut up vegies (cuc's, zuch's, carrots, celery, peppers, beans yellow and green, cauliflower, onions, garlic, olives frozen peas, canned mushrooms, sweet pickles with juice, olives black and green.

1 jar V8 veg juice
4 cups vinegar
1 cup canola oil
4 cups ketchup
2 small cans tomato paste
2 Tbsp hot pepper sauce

Bring liquids to a boil and add veggies starting with those that are harder to cook like carrots and end with frozen peas. then add...

2 cups fresh spices (basil, oregano, parsley, cilantro, thyme)
1 Tbsp cinnamon
6 cans of spicy thai tuna (85g)

Bring to a boil, pack in hot seril jars and put in water bath for 25 min. (25 min of rolling boil) ENJOY!!!

Back
Top Bottom