Homemade Baby food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

appleyard14

Senior Cook
My daughter is going to be born anytime now and im very excited. I know she wont be eating food for a while but in the meantime I am hoping to figure out some recipes so I dont have to buy to much of that canned baby food. Hopefully someone here has some experience with this. I have heard about a number of people who do this as well.

We did this with our kids for a while, but ended up buying the store stuff in the end anyway just because it really is more convenient and just as healthy.

You don't need recipes though. To start with you will just be doing fruits and veggies. For veggies, steam or boil them until very soft and then run through a food mill. For fruits depending on the fruit you can steam or boil or even use raw. These also can be run through the food mill. Places like Babies R Us sell little baby food mills for this purpose (about $10). The also sell this thing that looks like a pacifer with a small mesh bag on the end. You put a piece of fruit in the mesh bag and screw it onto the base with is a ring the baby can hold onto. They can then suck and gum the food inside the bag which breaks down and mushes through the bag so they can eat it. It is a bit messy, but then nothing about having a baby is not messy ;)

Once the baby is older and can eat solid food you do not need to do anything different for them from what you eat aside from cutting the food up small. Many people would say stay away from spicy foods or things with lots of seasoning, but I think it depends on the baby. When my daughter was 1 year old she was eating freshly grated horseradish by the spoonful. It was the same stuff that was bringing grown men to tears. Each baby is different and will like different things. Your baby will let you know what she does and does not like. Feed her what you are eating and she how she reacts.

Congratulations!

thanks for all the info gb! I had already planned on doing some fruits that way, but I have a while to experiment so I will share any recipes that turn out well. Great link selkie thanks!

My daughter is going to be born anytime now and im very excited. I know she wont be eating food for a while but in the meantime I am hoping to figure out some recipes so I dont have to buy to much of that canned baby food. Hopefully someone here has some experience with this. I have heard about a number of people who do this as well.

First of all congratulations and best of luck.

i ALWAYS prepare baby food at home.i have 3 small kids.the older 2 eat normal food now as they r 4 and 2 yr old,my youngest is 8 months.All 3 of my kids were always fed the homemade food i prepared 4 them and they r super healthy with the grace of God.
to start them on semi solids(when they r 6 months old,or 4 months old if they had not been breast fed,in some doctors' opinion),i always started with banana,rice cereal and wheat cereal,yogurt etc.whenever u start the baby on a new food,i.e introduce something new,put a little honey(organic off course) in it,that makes the baby digest the food easily until his stomach gets used to it,which takes 3,4 days.mashed banana with half a tsp of honey mixed with it,is good.I used to steam apple and make puree.Fruits that have more fiber like berries,pears etc should be introduced a bit later and with caution as they have tendency to make baby's stomach loose.
For rice cereal or u could call it rice pudding,boil a tbs of rice in a little water which should not be wasted.let it evaporate and cook with the rice,add some 2% milk in the rice when its tender enough,add a little sugar(i prefer honey),cool and make puree.Likewise for wheat cereal,take a spoon of wholeweat in a non stick pan,add a spoon of margerine or butter and cook and keep stirring until it browns a bit and u can smell the flour and butter,then add milk and cook to a boil,the consistency is like mashed potatoes.You can also make semolina pudding the same way as wheat pudding.Its really good for the baby and it helps gain weight fast.
Another recipe is put a tbsp of rice and 1 tbsp of yellow lentils,one bone-in piece of chicken together in a pot,add water and a pinch of salt and cook on low heat until everything looks meshed and completely cooked,add a tsp of butter,let cool.debone the chicken piece and discard the bone.make puree.This is really healthy and great for loose tummy.
Then u can steam or boil carrots and peas,potatoes,add some salt and even a pinch of black pepper and make puree.
I have a lot of other recipes.I love making baby food at home and keep experimenting.This is my favorite passtime and i love it when my babies eat that food and like it and look healthy.
Best of luck.

appleyard, Congratulations! This is the perfect time of year to be thinking of making baby food. Think apples and applesauce. When my kids were babies I made applesauce by the boatload. I would then add blueberries to one batch, pears or peaches, raspberries, strawberries, you name it. I would freeze these in the baby food jars I had and every morning just pull one out and microwave it a bit to thaw it out. Perfect.

You'll likely be doing your reading on what is and is not OK for babies. (no honey, no peanut butter etc etc.) Just use what you can.

I only did fruits and veggies. By the time your daughter is old enough to be adding meats etc you can be giving her little pieces of things to try to pick up on her own. The literature keeps changing about what age it is appropriate to do these things but my basic philosophy was that when they had a pincer grasp and could pick up their food themselves, I would offer bits of things.

Enjoy! and if you need some help peeling the apples, I'm a pro now!

First of all congratulations and best of luck.

i ALWAYS prepare baby food at home.i have 3 small kids.the older 2 eat normal food now as they r 4 and 2 yr old,my youngest is 8 months.All 3 of my kids were always fed the homemade food i prepared 4 them and they r super healthy with the grace of God.
to start them on semi solids(when they r 6 months old,or 4 months old if they had not been breast fed,in some doctors' opinion),i always started with banana,rice cereal and wheat cereal,yogurt etc.whenever u start the baby on a new food,i.e introduce something new,put a little honey(organic off course) in it,that makes the baby digest the food easily until his stomach gets used to it,which takes 3,4 days.mashed banana with half a tsp of honey mixed with it,is good.I used to steam apple and make puree.Fruits that have more fiber like berries,pears etc should be introduced a bit later and with caution as they have tendency to make baby's stomach loose.
For rice cereal or u could call it rice pudding,boil a tbs of rice in a little water which should not be wasted.let it evaporate and cook with the rice,add some 2% milk in the rice when its tender enough,add a little sugar(i prefer honey),cool and make puree.Likewise for wheat cereal,take a spoon of wholeweat in a non stick pan,add a spoon of margerine or butter and cook and keep stirring until it browns a bit and u can smell the flour and butter,then add milk and cook to a boil,the consistency is like mashed potatoes.You can also make semolina pudding the same way as wheat pudding.Its really good for the baby and it helps gain weight fast.
Another recipe is put a tbsp of rice and 1 tbsp of yellow lentils,one bone-in piece of chicken together in a pot,add water and a pinch of salt and cook on low heat until everything looks meshed and completely cooked,add a tsp of butter,let cool.debone the chicken piece and discard the bone.make puree.This is really healthy and great for loose tummy.
Then u can steam or boil carrots and peas,potatoes,add some salt and even a pinch of black pepper and make puree.
I have a lot of other recipes.I love making baby food at home and keep experimenting.This is my favorite passtime and i love it when my babies eat that food and like it and look healthy.
Best of luck.

babies cannot have honey; it has botulism spores in it!

i always give them honey after 8 or 9 months and as i mentioned natural organic honey,and after one year its totally safe,if u have any reservations.plus honey is a natural anti biotic and has countless other health benefits.

Thanks for all the ideas and information everyone, I have been researching pretty hard and am excited to get into the kitchen, hopefully the little one ends up happy with the food! And alix I might take you up on that apple pealing! I am in saskatchewan working out of town right now but I will be back shortly with a big bag of apples for you!

hi,

you just overcook, potatoes with carrots, sweet potatoes and celeriac, or coliflouwer and potatoes , basically any kind of veggies, even pumpkin.
also to have some variation, (and i overcook everything) rice with one or two vegetables, risotto with one or two vegetables, polenta with some vegetables.
basicly the posibilities are endless.
as long as you have a blender.

same for soup, just cook the vegetables and blend it, and strain.
here is a example of 7 day's of baby food (i think this one was for a 7-8 month old baby)
Day 1

Lunch
Potato and leek soup
Vegetable finger food

Dinner
Carrot and sweet potato soup
Risotto and vegetables with tofu

Day 2

Lunch
Pasta and vegetables
Broccoli soup

Dinner
Chicken risotto
Pumpkin soup

Day 3

Lunch
Spinach soup
Tofu and vegetables

Dinner
Rice and vegetables
Carrot soup

Day 4

Lunch
Root vegetable soup
Polenta and vegetables

Dinner
Risotto with chicken
Vegetable finger food

Day 5

Lunch
Cauliflower soup
Potato and sweet potato with vegetables

Dinner
Pasta with vegetables and tofu
Root vegetable soup

i always give them honey after 8 or 9 months and as i mentioned natural organic honey,and after one year its totally safe,if u have any reservations.plus honey is a natural anti biotic and has countless other health benefits.

you & i ave different opinions on that one.

i always give them honey after 8 or 9 months and as i mentioned natural organic honey,and after one year its totally safe
Natural organic honey is not free of botulism spores. Also 8-9 months is not the same as one year. Each parent needs to decide what is right for their own child. My children did not get honey until after they were one on the advice of our doctors.

Thanks for all the ideas and information everyone, I have been researching pretty hard and am excited to get into the kitchen, hopefully the little one ends up happy with the food! And alix I might take you up on that apple pealing! I am in saskatchewan working out of town right now but I will be back shortly with a big bag of apples for you!
I'm ready when you are.

Natural organic honey is not free of botulism spores. Also 8-9 months is not the same as one year. Each parent needs to decide what is right for their own child. My children did not get honey until after they were one on the advice of our doctors.
Mine didn't get any til after age 2. Honey is dangerous. It has lots of wonderful properties for older folks, it is a wonderful digestive aid, an antibiotic etc etc, but for babies it is very dangerous. Not worth taking a chance on IMO. Each parent has to do their own research and make their own decisions.

Back
Top Bottom