Homemade cat food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
Does anyone here make their own cat food?

I'm seriously considering dumping the canned cat food and kibble in favour of homemade. Someone pointed out that cats, who are obligate carnivores, didn't used to get diabetes until they started eating lots of carbs in kibble and canned food. Makes sense to me.

So, who has tried this and has some advice, links for me? Or who wants to accompany me on this journey of learning and hopefully healthier cat friends.

I saw a book at the vet clinic on Saturday about preparing homemade dog and cat food. It had a number (about 100) recipes for different dietary requirements. I have a copy of the nutrition textbook used for the course on canine and feline nutrition from OVC. I can drop that in the mail (or UPS or on the bus) to you. It is hardcopy. It has a lot of useful information in it. I prepared a homemade diet for one of my Saints for 5 years. He had a number of health problems. I worked with the nutritionist at OVC to get the right balance of nutrients in his diet. And did a lot of bloodwork (about every 6-8 weeks) for the first year he was on the diet and then twice a year after that. He had renal insufficiency, no spleen (took that out when he bloated), and chronic anemia.

A local butcher shop ground chicken bones, etc., as a dog-food blend to which I added the raw and cooked veggies he needed and supplements (Kelp/seaweed powder, calcium, omega 3 and 6). I think I used to pay $30 for 40 lb and that lasted about a month. I would imagine for cats you would need to include sources of taurine and fish, poultry, chicken liver, oils, veggies? What is in commercial cat food?

Last edited:
No advice here, just an observation. I see these cat food commercials advertising all the peas, carrots, grain, etc. they put in their cat food, and how healthy it is. Peas and carrots are not cat food, IMHO.

What's in commercial cat food? I just looked up the contents of the brand my cat eats, but FF crashed again. It's got meat, meat by-products, grain, and lots of supplements and weird chemicals.

Cats can tolerate a little bit of grain, 'cause in nature, the small critters they eat often have grain in their digestive systems, but there really shouldn't be very much. 12% protein just isn't enough. I believe there is a lot more grain in kibble. I'm hoping to come up with some sort of all meat kibble, 'cause Shreddy really likes having dry food available all the time.

My cat won't eat anything but dry cat food. He'll try to bury the wet stuff, no matter what kind I buy! As a kitten he'd eat the chunks with gravy, he would suck off all of the gravy and let the remainder dry out and then eat it.

He's weird...

My cat won't eat anything but dry cat food. He'll try to bury the wet stuff, no matter what kind I buy! As a kitten he'd eat the chunks with gravy, he would suck off all of the gravy and let the remainder dry out and then eat it.

He's weird...
Jerky for cats?

Yeah, I know I have to put supplements in homemade cat food. I'm wondering if there is a "one-a-day" type of supplement for kitties.

I know that GNC makes one and it is sold Pet Smart...you might try a BIG pet store. Is GNC in business in Canada?

I can't get Latté to eat supplement type things...

Thanks. That was one of the sites that came up when I did a Google search yesterday. But, I want to make cat food with no grain, not liver cookies with wheat germ and honey. Wheat germ and honey for a cat?

Scroll down to Resources and hit Dry Cat Kibble. More ideas there.

I know that GNC makes one and it is sold Pet Smart...you might try a BIG pet store. Is GNC in business in Canada?

Yeah, we have GNC. I thought that was for supplements for the big apes.

I'll check at the cat food store and if no joy there, then at the vet. This is going in the food and it's going in from the first time I serve it. I may have to mix it with canned food to start with, but that danged cat is going to eat healthy food.

What's in commercial cat food? I just looked up the contents of the brand my cat eats, but FF crashed again. It's got meat, meat by-products, grain, and lots of supplements and weird chemicals.

Cats can tolerate a little bit of grain, 'cause in nature, the small critters they eat often have grain in their digestive systems, but there really shouldn't be very much. 12% protein just isn't enough. I believe there is a lot more grain in kibble. I'm hoping to come up with some sort of all meat kibble, 'cause Shreddy really likes having dry food available all the time.
Commercial cat food is the stuff one buys in the can/bag.

Yeah, we have GNC. I thought that was for supplements for the big apes.

I'll check at the cat food store and if no joy there, then at the vet. This is going in the food and it's going in from the first time I serve it. I may have to mix it with canned food to start with, but that danged cat is going to eat healthy food.

Here is the phone# on the back of the packet 1-888-612-1198. I get the hairball formula for Smudge, she'll eat anything I hand her as long as it's cat food.

If you can douse it in coconut oil, it may get eaten. That's what worked around here anyway. :LOL: I just ground the pill with the bottom of a spoon and then mixed in a teaspoon or so of coconut oil. The only bad thing is now every time I open up a mason-type jar (which is what the coconut oil is in) I have someone at my feet wondering where her taste is.

I looked into homemade catfood, but decided I didn't want to worry all the time if I had the right nutrients. I get Purina Pro Plan wet food and Purina Indoor formula for dry. Chicken flavor only or Latté won't eat it.

Or human food...first cat I ever met that doesn't like fish.

If you can douse it in coconut oil, it may get eaten. That's what worked around here anyway. :LOL: I just ground the pill with the bottom of a spoon and then mixed in a teaspoon or so of coconut oil. The only bad thing is now every time I open up a mason-type jar (which is what the coconut oil is in) I have someone at my feet wondering where her taste is.

Might try bacon grease...I know she likes that...:LOL: Both of us will die of high cholesterol...

Back
Top Bottom