Homemade Cranberry Sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Grand Marnier Cranberry Sauce

This is our favourite cranberry sauce. I usually make it about two weeks ahead to allow the flavours time to meld.

Grand Marnier Cranberry Sauce

2 cups fresh cranberries
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup Grand Marnier

Preheat oven to 275°F.

Mix ingredients well in a Pyrex or ceramic baking dish. Bake for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring every 20 minutes or so. Store in a tightly covered container in the fridge.

I make a cranberry pineapple sauce

1 bag cranberries
1 lrg can crushed pineapple (well drained and save the juice for part of liquid)
i just follow the recipe on the bag..add enuff water to the pineapple juice to make amount it says also add amount of sugar it says
make the cranberry sauce like it says and put pineapple in when its just about done. sometimes i add pecans

I make somewhat of a compote with fresh, whole cranberries, chopped seedless oranges, vanilla, walnuts and sugar.

When I was in grammar school, and townships still had budgets for home ec classes, we made jellied cranberry sauce for our families for thanksgiving. It was delicious.

Triple Sec Cranberry Sauce

This is my new favorite cranberry sauce

1 bag cranberries, picked over
1 cup sugar
4 oz unsweetened cranberry juice (this is new in my area, I love it)
2 oz water
2 T Triple Sec

Combine all ingredients, except for Triple Sec, and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat, add Triple Sec. Return to a simmer for 5 minutes. I could eat this with a spoon!

I make a cranberry sauce that we just love. It's been on the table since I had it as a guest at another table and had to have the recipe. My old recipe was yummy too - with Gran Marnier - but I like this one even better. It has cranberries (duh!), water, sugar, red wine, a touch of golden raisens, ginger, a dash of worcestershire, a tiny dash of hot sauce, etc. I know, sounds a little weird, but I'm telling you . . . my mouth is watering thinking about it!

Hi Decolady ~ I noticed that your recipe is the only one that is baked. My friend gave me a recipe for baked cranberry relish and I think I may try it this year. Her recipe includes the same ingredients as yours with the addition of orange marmalade and walnuts, if desired. This should be interesting!?
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!

I love the idea of adding Gran Marnier (how come there are never any coupons for spirits?) since I always add grated orange peel and juice to mine. Just saw a recipe the other day that called for pomegranate as well--that sounded intriguing as well as visually appealing.

I'll contribute 2 amazing cranberry recipes to the pile here. One is expensive. One is not.

Inexpensive (Credit to Emeril Lagasse):

1/2 pound fresh cranberries
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups water
3 tablespoons cornstarchPut the cranberries, orange and lemon zest, orange and lemon juice, sugar, vanilla, and 1 1/2 cups of the water in a medium-size nonreactive saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and cook for 8 minutes. Dissolve the cornstarch in the remaining 1/2 cup of water and add to the pan. Reduce the heat to medium, then stir constantly until the mixture thickens, about 2 minutes.
Remove from the heat and cool completely.

Expensive (Not sure where I got this one):

4C fresh cranberries
2C sugar
1/3C champagne cognac (Remy Martin XO--the bottles are not cheap)

-Preheat oven to 300.
-Place cranberries in a baking vessel, coat with sugar.
-Cook 1 hour. Make sure to stir after half an hour
-Add the cognac and stir to blend. Toss into mason jars and refrigerate. The longer you let it sit, the better.

I make an Amaretto Cranberry sauce every other year, if anyone is interested I will go find it.

Hi Decolady ~ I noticed that your recipe is the only one that is baked. My friend gave me a recipe for baked cranberry relish and I think I may try it this year. Her recipe includes the same ingredients as yours with the addition of orange marmalade and walnuts, if desired. This should be interesting!?
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!
I'll be interested to hear how you like it. The addition of nuts sounds good. How much orange marmalade in proportion?

Last year I made Emeril's cranberry compote, which has apples & pears, but I wanted a more traditional sauce this year. I came up with this recipe, and I've made this one about a half dozen times in the last two months (it's that good!). I even eat it over cottage cheese in the morning, with a handful of broken pecans over the top. (I'm putting small amounts, in case anyone wants to try it out before Thursday's big day)

jkath's Cranberry sauce:

1 pkg fresh cranberries
1 c. sugar
rind of 1 large navel orange, in shreds**
½ c. fresh orange juice
1 Tbsp Southern Comfort
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla
½ tsp. FRESH grated nutmeg

Cook all ingredients together over medium high heat in a saucepan for about 6-7 minutes, making sure to stir very often. Once the cranberries have popped, turn the heat down just a mark or two and keep stirring another 5 minutes. Take the pan off of the heat and use a potato masher to get a nice even consistency. Cool about 20 min and put into the fridge. I can't say how long it lasts in the fridge cause I eat it too quickly!

Also, one time I put in about ¼ c. chopped pecans and it was wonderful!

I love to use that little tool for the orange rind. It has a comfy handle and a metal end that has four or five little holes that make nice orange rind shreds without getting any white pith in it.

^That's a zester; just it's the type of zester that's usually used for making garnishing as opposed to the microplaner used for the fine-grain zest most are used to.

Hi Decolady ~ I made the baked cranberry relish and it turned out very good. Everyone seemed to enjoy it and very little was left!! You asked about the proportion of marmalade to the other ingredients. Here is the recipe that I used:

BAKED CRANBERRY RELISH
2 packages of fresh or frozen cranberries
2 cups of sugar
1 cup of orange marmalade
2/3 cup of water or orange juice
1 cup of coarsely chopped nuts
1/3 cup of brandy or orange liqueur
If using fresh berries, wash and drain them. Mix berries with sugar, marmalade, and water. Pour into casserole and cover. Bake at 325ºF for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. During last 10 minutes of baking add the nuts and brandy. Cool the relish before refrigerating it. This will keep tightly covered several weeks in the refrigerator. Best if made a week or so ahead of time. Variation: add a diced apple and/or dried fruit.

We do Cranberry-Orange Relish. Rinse one bag of Cranberries (can be frozen - need to be thawed). Clean (do not peel!) three Valencia Oranges - cut into pieces; remove seeds. Put cranberries in bowl of a food processor (you can also use a blender) and process (using the pulse button) until chunky. Scrape down the sides. Add oranges a few pieces at a time - still using the pulse button. Once all of the orange is added, scrape down sides and gradually add 2 cups of sugar (still pulsing). You want it to be a fine mince.
Place in a container and refrigerate for a couple of days to allow the flavors to meld. We eat this with a lot of different things. Very nice and refreshing!

Here's the one I tried this year, to rave reviews:

3 diced tart apples
2 diced pears
2-lbs fresh cranberries
1 c golden raisens
2 c sugar
1 c fresh squeezed orange juice
2 T grated orange peel
2 t cinnamon
1/4 t fresh grated nutmeg

Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes, uncovered. Stir in 1/2 c Gran Marnier. Cool.

:heart:
Z

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom