"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 11-19-2007, 07:19 AM   #31
Executive Chef
There sure are a lot of great sounding recipes in this thread. Thanks, everyone!

Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
Loprraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 07:25 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I make an Amaretto Cranberry sauce every other year, if anyone is interested I will go find it.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.....
suziquzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:33 AM   #33
Assistant Cook
Originally Posted by auntieshelly View Post
Hi Decolady ~ I noticed that your recipe is the only one that is baked. My friend gave me a recipe for baked cranberry relish and I think I may try it this year. Her recipe includes the same ingredients as yours with the addition of orange marmalade and walnuts, if desired. This should be interesting!?
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!
I'll be interested to hear how you like it. The addition of nuts sounds good. How much orange marmalade in proportion?
"I don't like to say that my kitchen is a religious place, but I would say that if I were a voodoo priestess, I would conduct my rituals there."-- Pearl Bailey
decolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:52 AM   #34
Hospitality Queen
Last year I made Emeril's cranberry compote, which has apples & pears, but I wanted a more traditional sauce this year. I came up with this recipe, and I've made this one about a half dozen times in the last two months (it's that good!). I even eat it over cottage cheese in the morning, with a handful of broken pecans over the top. (I'm putting small amounts, in case anyone wants to try it out before Thursday's big day)

jkath's Cranberry sauce:

1 pkg fresh cranberries
1 c. sugar
rind of 1 large navel orange, in shreds**
c. fresh orange juice
1 Tbsp Southern Comfort
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla
tsp. FRESH grated nutmeg

Cook all ingredients together over medium high heat in a saucepan for about 6-7 minutes, making sure to stir very often. Once the cranberries have popped, turn the heat down just a mark or two and keep stirring another 5 minutes. Take the pan off of the heat and use a potato masher to get a nice even consistency. Cool about 20 min and put into the fridge. I can't say how long it lasts in the fridge cause I eat it too quickly!

Also, one time I put in about c. chopped pecans and it was wonderful!

I love to use that little tool for the orange rind. It has a comfy handle and a metal end that has four or five little holes that make nice orange rind shreds without getting any white pith in it.
Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:11 PM   #35
Senior Cook
^That's a zester; just it's the type of zester that's usually used for making garnishing as opposed to the microplaner used for the fine-grain zest most are used to.
Poppinfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 09:56 AM   #36
Senior Cook
Hi Decolady ~ I made the baked cranberry relish and it turned out very good. Everyone seemed to enjoy it and very little was left!! You asked about the proportion of marmalade to the other ingredients. Here is the recipe that I used:

2 packages of fresh or frozen cranberries
2 cups of sugar
1 cup of orange marmalade
2/3 cup of water or orange juice
1 cup of coarsely chopped nuts
1/3 cup of brandy or orange liqueur
If using fresh berries, wash and drain them. Mix berries with sugar, marmalade, and water. Pour into casserole and cover. Bake at 325F for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. During last 10 minutes of baking add the nuts and brandy. Cool the relish before refrigerating it. This will keep tightly covered several weeks in the refrigerator. Best if made a week or so ahead of time. Variation: add a diced apple and/or dried fruit.
auntieshelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 01:05 PM   #37
Assistant Cook
We do Cranberry-Orange Relish. Rinse one bag of Cranberries (can be frozen - need to be thawed). Clean (do not peel!) three Valencia Oranges - cut into pieces; remove seeds. Put cranberries in bowl of a food processor (you can also use a blender) and process (using the pulse button) until chunky. Scrape down the sides. Add oranges a few pieces at a time - still using the pulse button. Once all of the orange is added, scrape down sides and gradually add 2 cups of sugar (still pulsing). You want it to be a fine mince.
Place in a container and refrigerate for a couple of days to allow the flavors to meld. We eat this with a lot of different things. Very nice and refreshing!
kstoker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 02:03 PM   #38
Head Chef
Here's the one I tried this year, to rave reviews:

3 diced tart apples
2 diced pears
2-lbs fresh cranberries
1 c golden raisens
2 c sugar
1 c fresh squeezed orange juice
2 T grated orange peel
2 t cinnamon
1/4 t fresh grated nutmeg

Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes, uncovered. Stir in 1/2 c Gran Marnier. Cool.

Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote