Homemade Cranberry Sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loprraine

Executive Chef
A co-worker asked if I had a good recipe for cranberry salad, so I gave her mine. I found out today, she cooked it down, then proceeded to take off all the skins, strained it, added some gelatin, and made a jellied one!! I howled when I heard that!!!!

When I was a child both versions were on our Thanksgiving table. Homemade whole-berry sauce and the can-shaped.

Later, when I had my own family, I served the same. One year I failed to buy the canned jelly and I thought our youngest son was going to cry. I never did that again. It was even served in its very own special silver bowl.

Already told you at what temp it's served.

When I was a child both versions were on our Thanksgiving table. Homemade whole-berry sauce and the can-shaped.

Later, when I had my own family, I served the same. One year I failed to buy the canned jelly and I thought our youngest son was going to cry. I never did that again. It was even served in its very own special silver bowl.

Already told you at what temp it's served.

Katie - (off topic) but I made sherry gravy one year (threw about a cup of sherry into the turkey while cooking) and my son DID cry!!!!!!! He was about 9 and sherry wasn't really something his taste buds approved of YET! I felt like such a bad mother!!!!

We never had this
img_505363_0_85eac009f03ba0198e0cdd89e8b2cb2e.gif
when I was growing up. My Mom always got whole berry cranberry sauce. Most of the time I make my own, but buy the canned whole berry type in the off season. For the holidays with dressing it is served cold. But sometimes I serve cranberry sauce heated to spoon over chicken or such.

I am skipping directly to the end of this post so if some covered this I apologize.

You should try making your own. It is the most simple of Thanksgiving foods.

1 bag cranberries
1 cup sugar
1 cup water

Place in a pan and boil until the berries burst. stir and cook until thick and wonderful. Orange or lemon zest in it is really good as well.

Enjoy,
Bryan

I am skipping directly to the end of this post so if some covered this I apologize.

You should try making your own. It is the most simple of Thanksgiving foods.

1 bag cranberries
1 cup sugar
1 cup water

Place in a pan and boil until the berries burst. stir and cook until thick and wonderful. Orange or lemon zest in it is really good as well.

Enjoy,
Bryan

Bryan, consider replacing the water with OJ and cutting the sugar in half.

Cold or room temp for my gang..I have several bags of frozen cranberries, has anyone made cranberry sauce using the frozen berries? Plan to give it a try and see what I get..I've used the zest of an orange in mine but think I'll try using the juice as well...
kadesma;)

:)If they are like the fresh bagged but just frozen you certainly can make the sauce.No difference.
Yes they are still in the bag. I pitched 3 bags of them in there in January or February, so I'll dig 2 of them out and have a try at it... Thanks
kades

I'd like to try making my own cranberry sauce this time too. Let me know how it turns out Kades.

:)If they are like the fresh bagged but just frozen you certainly can make the sauce.No difference.

Ooh, good. Frozen in bags is the only kind we can get here (and I've only recently seen them in the freezer) - this thread has made me want to try making some.

We can't buy the canned stuff... I've never tried it :( Guess there's just not a demand for it in NZ.

I'd like to try making my own cranberry sauce this time too. Let me know how it turns out Kades.
I will Dina,
I just took a bag out and want to make some to go with a pork tenderloin...
kades:)

:)When the fresh cranberries become available you can buy a couple extra bags and just toss them in the freezer.Its that simple and you can have them for a later time.

My cranberry sauce recipe is almost like the one posted by Bknox & on the back of the oceanspray bag.

Equal amounts of cranberries & sugar. 1/2 the amount of water.
If I have two cups of berries, I add two cups of sugar and one cup of water.

Throw all into a heavy pan. Bring to a boil, let boil for 15 minutes.
DO NOT STIR. Remove from heat & let cool completely.
If too hard, I add a little boiling water & stir, stir, stir
If too runny (this has only happened to me once), I return to heat for 8 minutes.

This is like jelly & I have eaten it on biscuits & toast.
My relish has less sugar so has a tart bite. This makes my two cranberry condiments very different.
hth,
donna

:)A bit of advice watch your berries while cooking as they can easily boil over your pan.Cranberries naturally contain pectin which is why they thicken up so well.

I also grew up with the canned cranberry sauce and have to have it with my Thanksgiving turkey. My family likes it, too. We serve it chilled or at room temp. Once I made some from scratch to bring to a friend's for Thanksgiving dinner and she hauled out the canned variety to go on the table as well. So everyone had a choice. No big deal.

Been thinking about this thread the last few days. I have, probably, a half dozen ways of making cranberry sauce. I like to give it a twist every now and then. Buck likes is just berries, water and sugar. That's good, too.

Cranberry Grape Compote

Ingredients
Makes 4 cups
1 package (12 ounces) cranberries, fresh or frozen (no need to thaw)
3 cups seedless red grapes
1 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup water

Directions
In a large saucepan over medium-high, bring cranberries, grapes, sugar, and 1/2 cup water to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until most of the cranberries have popped and grapes are falling apart, 10 to 15 minutes.
Remove from heat; add salt and stir to combine. Let cool to room temperature (compote will thicken as it cools). Refrigerate in an airtight container up to 2 weeks. Serve at room temperature.

Got this recipe from another website. I'm going to try it this year.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom