"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-27-2007, 04:26 PM   #11
Head Chef

I'm on a dog forum as well and this is what I got from there....

When cooking home cooked, you must get a supplement to add to this food.

Chicken breasts
barley OR brown rice
parsley
celery
carrots
zucchini
string beans.

Put everything in a crock pot with water. When done, put in individual zip lock bags and freeze for your dog. As far as the veggies go, you can use whatever veggies you wish.

Old 04-27-2007, 04:41 PM   #12
Executive Chef

I love the crock pot ideas.

Old 04-28-2007, 12:50 PM   #13
Master Chef

My Siamese cats are used to dry food, and won't eat anything else except and occasional mashed chicken liver.
Chloe dog, though gets lots of good things. My husband is fond of buying large hunks of meat, like a whole ribeye, and cutting them in to suitable portions for the freezer. Chloe gets a lot of the raw scraps, and loves them. And you should see her when he starts cutting up venison!

Don't forget about organ meats...hearts, liver and tongue are great for your pet. You don't have to get fancy with your preparation...just boil or nuke.

By the way, I looked up the ingredients on the Purina Chow I feed my pets, and was shocked. They are mostly corn. The only meats in the dog chow are meat fat and something called "meat digest". I'm not sure I even want to speculate about what that is.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:10 PM   #14
Head Chef

Please forgive me jumoing in again, organ meats are great for pets but liver must be fed in moderation!

Constance, I have Siamese too! It was the allergies one of mine has that set me researching into cat diets, and why I now limit the dried food (mine were on a Siamese specific biscuit). I felt awful for waiting so long because *whispers* basic animal nutrition was part of my undergrad degree, so I should have known to be more aware.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:06 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Hello everyone.

Here is a dog food recipe you can make at home. My dog was poisoned, but survived, so we re-evaluated his diet.

Chicken and Gravy for Dogs

2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
Salt
Ground black pepper
1½ whole chickens, cut into pieces
6 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 small heads baby cabbage, chopped
2 cups water
2 cups dry white wine
2 pinches of saffron
Cooked rice

Mix the cumin, coriander, salt and pepper and rub onto the chicken pieces. Heat oil over medium to high heat in large frying pan. Add chicken pieces and cook slowly while turning until browned. Add the garlic and baby cabbage, and continue to cook until the chicken has been browned on both sides. Add in the water, wine, and saffron; bring it all to a boil. Turn down the heat, and cover the pan. Cook for 45 to 60 minutes, until the chicken is soft. Remove bones out of the chicken. Put some rice into the dog bowl, and put the chicken on top. Pour the gravy over the chicken and rice, and serve.
Bonnie Jo Davis is a Virtual Assistant and writer. publishes Fifty Fantastic Recipes on niche topics including baby food, fudge, holiday meals and pet recipes at http://www.Fifty-Fantastic-Recipes.com
tltfaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 11:59 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by tltfaas
Hello everyone.

Here is a dog food recipe you can make at home. My dog was poisoned, but survived, so we re-evaluated his diet.

Chicken and Gravy for Dogs

2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
Salt
Ground black pepper
1 whole chickens, cut into pieces
6 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 small heads baby cabbage, chopped
2 cups water
2 cups dry white wine
2 pinches of saffron
Cooked rice

Mix the cumin, coriander, salt and pepper and rub onto the chicken pieces. Heat oil over medium to high heat in large frying pan. Add chicken pieces and cook slowly while turning until browned. Add the garlic and baby cabbage, and continue to cook until the chicken has been browned on both sides. Add in the water, wine, and saffron; bring it all to a boil. Turn down the heat, and cover the pan. Cook for 45 to 60 minutes, until the chicken is soft. Remove bones out of the chicken. Put some rice into the dog bowl, and put the chicken on top. Pour the gravy over the chicken and rice, and serve.

Why the Indian spices and the white wine?

The recipe looks like something I would like to eat!
Old 05-10-2007, 08:22 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

I used to make dog food when I was in my teens. We had 2 great danes that had extreme flatulence on commercial food. I would collect bandsaw dust from a wholesale butcher, this is from when they saw through the meat and bone and is a mix of both. I then added rough chopped root veg and pressed mixture into roasting tins. Then baked in the oven, cooled and cut into portions and frozen. The other food I remember making was tripe. This came from a pie factory and was free. It was the whole bovine (cow) stomach complete with cow muck on it. This was hosed down and cut into strips. These where then put in a large boiler until tender cooled and then frozen. We fed rice with both of these.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:54 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

Homemade Dog Food Recipes

Hi pals!
I'm new here....
I just want to show you great research made by one of my friends about "fake" and unhealthy dog food.

Highly recommended if you love your dog :)

Here is the link for the research :)
Old 03-29-2008, 07:21 AM   #19
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Since our Labradors just spent overnight at the hospital, to the tune of $2,400.00, I thought that you might be interested in this link.
Home-Human Foods that Poison Pets

Also the idea of feeding dogs raw food is called the "BARF" diet. You can read about it here.
BARF Diet - Healthy & Natural Raw Food For Dogs & Cats, Pet Health Care Food & Nutrition Products Supply Online

Our Labs run dog agility every week. They also run hard as often as we can ge tout to throw balls, etc for them to retrieve, they are after all retrievers. Anyway, we feed a supliment called NUPRO silver. It contains vitimines and monerals they they need, it also contains chromium and condroitin (sp) for their joints. Our trainer has 13 year old lab that has has nupro every day. His coat is soft as silk and shines like a new dollar. He is alert and active.

Also 50 years ago there was no dog food. After the recalls and after doing a lot of research, we feed "California Natural" it is kind of dog health food. The parent comtany "Natura" has never had a recall.

Sorry if this post is viewed as a hijack. It is not the intent. Just trying to provide information.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:55 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Thank you Adillo303 for posting about Natura dog food. I'm pretty convinced the food I'm giving my Rhodesian Ridgeback/Airdale Terrier isn't helping her IBD. We are moving back to California in 3 months and I'm going to contact Natura about which food they would recommend based on her dietary issues.

I didn't view your post as a hijack, additional information regarding the health of our pets is always appreciated, so thanks!