Homemade Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't perpetuate the "Joisey" stereotype. We all know that only New Yawkahs sound like that. :D

A long time ago, in a far away place (Millington, Tenessey), I had a great friend from New Jersey. We often went horseback riding together, and did many other things as sailors training at the same Navy Base. It was from him that I learned to pronounce the town, New Joisey, honest. Now I say it only to Bucky, and only in fun. I respect the town because of the people I know from there (only two people, but hey, 100% of the people I've met from there were great friends). I also sometimes pronounce my own home town of Sault Ste. Marie (pronounced sue saint marie) as salt-stee-marie, just to poke a little fun at my yooper friends. So, please don't take offense at my off-beat humor. It's meant to put smiles on faces, not insult the natives.;)

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

At home we always have foodles we can pillage at any time, but it's not been unknown for one of us to return to our brasserie and grab something already made for next day. But phooey - I just love takeaways! After a long day at work, who wants to cook again? Especially after a 12 hour slog? Getting an Indian or Chinese takeaway delivered to the door is just wonderful. Then fill the dishwasher and put me hoofs up. :)

Don't perpetuate the "Joisey" stereotype. We all know that only New Yawkahs sound like that. :D

how you dooin?

:cool:

lol, actually jersey has two or three distinct accents, from a brooklyn-ese style (from so many new yawkuhs moving to the burbs over the past 50 years, including my family), a south jersey/philly/delaware accent -where the "o" is rounded kinda funny, to the very non-descript east coast accent which happens to be the most common.

i have the latter for the most part, but i do let out an all too natural "how you dooin'?" every once in a while that would make robert deniro proud.

ok, back on topic.

linux, we're big on take aways as well. hmm, actually, it would be better described as take away from an otherwise sit down, tableclothed restaurant. and of course chinsese take outs, which aren't as well appointed, lol. i wish we had good indian by us.

at one time, when dw was thinking of going back to work, i looked into getting a (semi?) private chef because we were eating out and getting take out far too often, and it is showing up on my gut. it probably wouldn't have been much more expensive, either.

but then dw lied down for a while, and the feeling of going to work went away, lol.:angel: (man, she's gonna kill me for that one...;))

now i'm on this forsaken midnight shift for good, so it's giving us much more time to cook, from scratch-ish, at home.

goodweed's pancakes, lemon beurre blanc from fresh butter garnished with window garden parsley, and fra diavolos from my garden tomatoes, basil, and chiles aside, i still want my shake-n-bake now and then. :chef:

i will be attempting my first grilling/dipping sauce from scratch tomorrow, so wish me luck. it'll be a pomegranate/chipotle/mango based sauce.

if it works out as imagined, i'll post a recipe.

Last edited:
I cook all my food. I may use a frozen ingredient (peas or chopped spinach) or canned items (tomatoes), I may buy a loaf of bread at the bakery, but I avoid premade and processed food. #1 I like to cook #2 I want to be in control of the salt and fat and sugar that goes into my food.

If, for example, I want a pizza and don't feel like making it myself, I go out to a pizzeria where it is fresh and really good.

I just can't resist. Quoted from BT; "but then dw lied down for a while, and the feeling of going to work went away, lol.:angel: (man, she's gonna kill me for that one...;))":ROFLMAO:

Man, you are in soooooo much trouble. Hope you're confortable in the dog house. In the words of that great, great song, sung so well by George Thoroughgood, "...Move all the little dogs, cause the mean ole dog's movin' in." :LOL:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

:chef: I buy ingredients, not food!!

That's right!;)

When people tell me that they don't like store brand products, I find out that they eat mostly processed foods, when you buy ingredients and cook for yourself, it makes much less difference!

how you dooin?

:cool:

lol, actually jersey has two or three distinct accents, from a brooklyn-ese style (from so many new yawkuhs moving to the burbs over the past 50 years, including my family), a south jersey/philly/delaware accent -where the "o" is rounded kinda funny, to the very non-descript east coast accent which happens to be the most common.

i have the latter for the most part, but i do let out an all too natural "how you dooin'?" every once in a while that would make robert deniro proud.

You're preaching to the choir. :LOL: Mine is the latter as well. The only time it gets really thick is when I'm fired up about something.

i will be attempting my first grilling/dipping sauce from scratch tomorrow, so wish me luck. it'll be a pomegranate/chipotle/mango based sauce.

if it works out as imagined, i'll post a recipe.
That sounds awesome. I love the spicy/sweet thing. You have my attention.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom