"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-24-2010, 09:50 AM   #31
Certified Pretend Chef

Things that make you go, Hmmmm...

Reading this thread reminds me of a Food Network show called "Semi Homemade".

Old 09-25-2010, 11:43 AM   #32
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post
A $3 loaf of bread? That seems awfully expensive.
I was curious, so I checked some prices at the store and did some calculations. A loaf of sandwich bread costs me $0.898 (excluding utility costs).

Old 09-25-2010, 02:36 PM   #33
Master Chef

I don't think I'm capable of making food 100% from scratch.
Old 09-25-2010, 03:05 PM   #34
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I don't think I'm capable of making food 100% from scratch.

Carl Sagan agrees with you. No one is.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:57 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, andy.

you reminded me of an old far side comic...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	carl_sagan.gif
Views:	97
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	8641  

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:02 AM   #36
Master Chef

99 percent of my meals are made from scratch. My advice, learn the flavors of various herbs and spices. Learn to make the mother sauces. Try to deconstruct flavors in restaurant foods you like, and then learn to duplicate them at home. When you do these things, and when you learn techniques from the great cooks on this site, you are well on the way to eating more flavorful, more satisfying, and more nutritious food than you will ever get from pre-processed, or boxed meals.

To me, there are few things more satisfying than giving my best to my family and/or friends. And when I cook for them, I know they are getting the best food that I can give them, and often it's better food tan they will find in any restaurant in my little town. For instance, restaurants can't roast a turkey between two beds of glowing charcoal, with fresh sticks of maple sitting on top of the coals, cooked to a perfect temperature of 155, then taken off and let sit for 20 minutes before carving. And they can't economically afford to provide the sides that I include in that meal. And, I can tailor my food to the likes of those who are going to eat it, usually on an individual basis.

I'm not bragging, for anyone, or nearly anyone can cook like I cook. It just takes a little practice.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:29 AM   #37
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i would say that when we cook at home (we eat out or get takeout about 3 times a week on average), 95% of it is not from a box or mix.

i would not consider frozen veggies to be part of this, btw.

in fact, i had to try hard to think of what boxed foods we use. shake-n-bake, pancake mix, bread mixes, canned tuna/clams/salmon, frozen fish sticks, store made ravioli or chicken fingers. that's about it. everything else is from discreet ingredients put together and cooked at home.

in fact, i'm making my own tomato sauce from scratch tomorrow, as well as freezing fresh basil ice cubes, and making my own chili powders.
BT! Whadaya mean pancake mix! I gave you the recipe for a perfect pancake batter. Just mix up the dry ingredients ahead of time. Double, or tripple, or multiply all ingredients by whatever multiplier you like. Put in a large, airtight container, and take out a cup or so when you need it, add an egg, milk, and a little cooking oil. In fact, I made the mix before and added powdered egg and dry milk. Then, when I went camping, I only had to add water and oil. And if you add oil ahead of time, it's like Bisquick, and you only need to add water.

Basic recipe of dry ingredients:
1 cup flour
2 tbs sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbs baking powder.

If you triple the recipe:
3 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/8 cup baking powder

See how easy that is. Even someone from Joisey can do it.

Wait. That wasn't me that made that Joisey remark. That was someone else who took over my body. Yeh. That's it. I was taken over by an evil spirit. Hey. G.W., watch out for snowballs commin' at ya from east by southeast. I here that B.T. stores 'em in his freezer.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:39 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, gw. i haven't made your pancakes in a while. i think i'll make them this weekend.

dw is the one who uses the box mix.

that's my story and i'm stickin' to it.

btw, INCOMING!!!!

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:41 PM   #39
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbnjgourmet View Post
Does anyone make homemade food anymore or do most people cook from a box or frozen food?
I think a lot of people who visit this site make homemade food, including me. I do buy some things from a box, when the packaging looks particularly attractive, but I make a lot of things myself too.

Mel
Mel! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:30 PM   #40
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Matt Kay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
BT! Whadaya mean pancake mix! I gave you the recipe for a perfect pancake batter. Just mix up the dry ingredients ahead of time. Double, or tripple, or multiply all ingredients by whatever multiplier you like. Put in a large, airtight container, and take out a cup or so when you need it, add an egg, milk, and a little cooking oil. In fact, I made the mix before and added powdered egg and dry milk. Then, when I went camping, I only had to add water and oil. And if you add oil ahead of time, it's like Bisquick, and you only need to add water.

Basic recipe of dry ingredients:
1 cup flour
2 tbs sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbs baking powder.

If you triple the recipe:
3 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/8 cup baking powder

See how easy that is. Even someone from Joisey can do it.

Wait. That wasn't me that made that Joisey remark. That was someone else who took over my body. Yeh. That's it. I was taken over by an evil spirit. Hey. G.W., watch out for snowballs commin' at ya from east by southeast. I here that B.T. stores 'em in his freezer.

Don't perpetuate the "Joisey" stereotype. We all know that only New Yawkahs sound like that. :D