"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-20-2010, 10:59 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Homemade Food

Does anyone make homemade food anymore or do most people cook from a box or frozen food?

Old 09-20-2010, 11:13 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbnjgourmet View Post
Does anyone make homemade food anymore or do most people cook from a box or frozen food?
I rarely cook from a box and am exteremly picky about which delis and restaurants we eat at. All of our meals are made from scratch. A prepared meal for me is using a can of cream of mushroom soup in a recipe.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:20 PM   #3
Head Chef

i would say in a given week, 6 out of seven meals are homemade. The seventh we will usually take in pizza , chinese or maybe eating at my moms ( which is also homemade)... Maybe once a month we will go out to a restaurant. Of the 6 meals that are homemade, 3 or 4 of them I make the day we will eat it. the other 2 or 3 I might prepare on a day that I have more time to cook and prepare, and it is usually something that can be refrigerated or frozen and reheated to be eaten at a later date.

On the other hand, my kids are more likely to eat frozen, or prepared foods out of the box ( mac an cheese, frozen pizza...). There are very few things that all 4 of us eat.

larry
Old 09-21-2010, 06:33 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

The only prepared foods I use are baking mix, cornbread mix, cream soups and bread.

When I started cooking eons ago I used mixes like Hamburger helper until I realized that it was only a box of pasta and a pack of spices. When I tried making the same kind of dish from scratch, I realized it was really easy and tasted so much better that I never went back.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:26 AM   #5
Head Chef

I cook 95% from scratch. I love to cook and there just are not enough of us to eat it so cooking from a box means that that is just one more meal I don't get to really cook. Having said that when I realy can't cook my family will used boxed stuff. Even on days like today when I am working mega hours I can throw something in the crock pot. Tonight my family is having a roast with fresh green beans, mushrooms, onions and potatoes with a tomatoe basil salad. And as I think about the people who live around me I would guess that most of them cook from boxes. As a matter of fact my neighbor used to order out at least every other day but now that she is in reduced circumstances I haven't seen the pizza guy in ages. Guess it all depends on how you feel about cooking and what your priorities are.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:49 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

I also cook mainly from scratch. I am trying to learn all the various recipes I grew up with. Although some of them are bit on the heavy side, I figured it's better to eat some extra fat than all the various chemicals, coloring and additives that are found in processed foods.

The only exception is pizza. I love frozen pizza.

By the way, I've been making my own bread for the past few months and it's great. For about 3 dollars I get a loaf twice the size the 5 dollar artisan loaf from the grocery store bakery and it (usually) tastes much better. Kneading bread is something I do after getting home from work while watching TV.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:54 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Most if not all our meals here are made from scratch...Tastes better and, in most cases, more healthy(.....Disregard the pork fat and butter on the healthy side. )
Old 09-21-2010, 08:09 AM   #8
Executive Chef

I eat at restaurants about three meals a week, a social activity with family and friends, but when eating at home I prepare most everything from scratch. I do keep frozen prepared food on hand for those few times I'm ill and don't have the strength to spend any time in the kitchen.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:28 AM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubos View Post
I also cook mainly from scratch. I am trying to learn all the various recipes I grew up with. Although some of them are bit on the heavy side, I figured it's better to eat some extra fat than all the various chemicals, coloring and additives that are found in processed foods.

The only exception is pizza. I love frozen pizza.

By the way, I've been making my own bread for the past few months and it's great. For about 3 dollars I get a loaf twice the size the 5 dollar artisan loaf from the grocery store bakery and it (usually) tastes much better. Kneading bread is something I do after getting home from work while watching TV.
A $3 loaf of bread? That seems awfully expensive.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:38 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post
A $3 loaf of bread? That seems awfully expensive.
That was just my best estimate, probably on the higher side. The main cost is yeast which is about a dollar per packet. The flour, I don't know, another dollar. I added the extra dollar as a buffer, to cover things like the bit of oil, milk, salt, etc... But you are right, it's likely less than that.