"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-12-2015, 02:56 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Homemade food gifts for the holidays

Hi, all. Wondering if anyone else is making food items for holiday gifts. I just started a batch of whole-grain Dijon mustard. The seeds will soak in wine and vinegar for two days, then I'll add honey and salt, grind them coarsely, bottle them and get them in the mail next week with a couple of recipes.

Here's the recipe: Whole Grain Dijon Mustard | Serious Eats

What have you got going on?

Old 12-12-2015, 03:01 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

We gift Christmas cookie assortments. Haven't done much with non-dessert homemade foods.

Old 12-12-2015, 03:16 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

It seems like half the people I know are either gluten-free or on a diet or something, so I thought a condiment would work well.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:24 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

This sounds really good, GG. Great idea.

I've sent pickled green beans and pickled beets, done like my Gramma used to make. My dad used to make his own horseradish sauce. Burn-your-eyes-out pungent, but delicious. BIL and one of his ex-wives made up a beautiful gift basket one year that consisted of little jars of sugar with a vanilla bean, coarse salt with dried rosemary and other herbs, vinegar with a couple chili peppers, along with chili pepper napkins and dish towels. Super cute.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:26 PM   #5
Head Chef

I probably won't this year, except for maybe a few favorite cookies our DD and GDs love. I've made the Epcot cheese bread in the past for gifts and they've always been well received. Actually have had people ask me to teach them how to make them, non-bread bakers. Besides assorted cookie gifts, used to make candy-type bourbon balls with my mom. I think 1 year we made 52 dozen and gave nearly all of them away. That's a lot of balls. Just not really in the mood this year, even with decorating the house and Christmas shopping for the GDs.

Oh, and the mustard does sound good. It's fun to experiment with making mustards.
Old 12-12-2015, 05:20 PM   #6
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
I'm going to make a couple of quart sized jars of Kim Chee for Mr&Mrs DF's in Northern Arizona. It seems that we will be joining them for New Years rather than Christmas this year.
I am also going to take A Kahlua Cake for them and a very large can of assorted cookies.
I still have a jar of my homemade Cherry Vodka in the freezer, I MIGHT safe that with Mrs.DF, she really likes the stuff.
Old 12-12-2015, 05:55 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
It seems like half the people I know are either gluten-free or on a diet or something, so I thought a condiment would work well.
That mustard is a really great idea GG! I think most any diet would allow mustard.
It's so hard for me to stay low carb at this time of year, I would not welcome gifts of carb goodies. If we get any, the SC is told to store it in Tupperware and keep it in the garage where he can eat it.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 07:15 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
I'm going to make a couple of quart sized jars of Kim Chee for Mr&Mrs DF's in Northern Arizona. It seems that we will be joining them for New Years rather than Christmas this year.

I am also going to take A Kahlua Cake for them and a very large can of assorted cookies.

I still have a jar of my homemade Cherry Vodka in the freezer, I MIGHT safe that with Mrs.DF, she really likes the stuff.

K-girl, a while back I made my own Kahlua. It was delicious, but since DH and I don't drink much coffee, we were both up until 3 am! He had 2 iced coffees, and I had 1 white Russian. Never again! If you're good with caffeine, it will be fine.

That said, homemade Kahlua makes a nice gift, if you're sadistic, as does homemade Baileys.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:43 PM   #9
Master Chef

For the past few years, I've been making candied pecans for my daughter and SIL - they love homemade foodie gifts, and these are so delicious. Last year I doubled the recipe and gave some out in pretty little cellophane Christmas bags to neighbors and friends I knew would enjoy them.

I change up the recipe a bit and lightly toast the pecans first, and add a little cinnamon and nutmeg to the egg whites. I'm thinking about making a double recipe again, and making half sweet and half savory - maybe a little cumin, chili powder and a dash of cayenne.

Swedish Nuts II Recipe - Allrecipes.com
Old 12-12-2015, 09:04 PM   #10
Master Chef

We have a great little rustic place not far from here out in the country called "The Nut House" As you can imagine they have all sorts of nuts and I loved making both sweet and savory nuts for gifts in days gone by. Hmm, come to think of it, I could enjoy making and eating the savory again, although not the sweet. Thanks for the light bulb moment Cheryl.
Here's their website...cute place.
http://www.somisnuthouse.com/

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food, gifts, homemade