Homemade hot dog buns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skittle68

Sous Chef
I made home made hot dog buns for the first time ever, and they turned out great, except they were a little heavy. Should I use less flour, or split them up into more buns and let them rise longer? Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!!

Attachments

• image-3838570493.jpg
    image-3838570493.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 186
Thanks! They were really soft and chewy, and would make great dinner rolls lol. I split the dough into 12 pieces, flattened them into 4"x6" rectangles and rolled them the long way to help them keep their shape, and let them rise until they were about double in size. I saw another recipe that was almost exactly the same that used 1/2 cup less flour, but I also saw a comment on the recipe that suggested splitting it up into 16 pieces instead of 12, and I was hoping to get some input on which one would be better for getting light fluffy buns.

Last edited:
Next time try the less flour recipe, you may get big air bubbles (holes) if you let them rise much more. Shrek told me they used the 1.5 ounce size when they made hotdog or hamburger buns. Instead of rolling them into rectangles and rolling them up, try just rounding each piece of dough and shaping into a bun. They may have been rolled too tight!

I made home made hot dog buns for the first time ever, and they turned out great, except they were a little heavy. Should I use less flour, or split them up into more buns and let them rise longer? Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!!

If they are too heavy, use them for hoagie/subs. They are just beautiful!

I have made dinner rolls many times, and they are always "heavy", as in contains a lot of moisture, comparing to the ones you get from walmart lol. I don't know how they made it so dry, but I guess they needed to make it dry in order to preserve it longer.

Those look really nice! I didn't know about the 1.5 ounce "rule." Another reason to use my scale.

LOL!!! It's not a rule! That was the weight Shrek used when he worked in the bakery. I use his knowledge unabashedly.:LOL:

Zhizara said:
If they are too heavy, use them for hoagie/subs. They are just beautiful!

I have been using them for sandwiches. They are wonderful! My brats just drown in them a little because they are so dense! I will try the recipe provided above. It's is almost the same, but with a higher yeast to flour and liquid ratio. I imagine with the higher yeast ratio they will be a lot fluffier, which is what I want. The recipe I used would make amazing, soft, chewy dinner rolls though. They really do have great flavor and texture. Here it is in case anyone is interested:

1 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup butter
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 (.25 ounce) package instant yeast
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 egg
Directions

In a small saucepan, heat milk, water and butter until very warm, 120 degrees F (50 degrees C).
In a large bowl, mix together 1 3/4 cup flour, yeast, sugar and salt. Mix milk mixture into flour mixture, and then mix in egg. Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes.
Divide dough into 12 equal pieces. Shape into smooth balls, and place on a greased baking sheet. Flatten slightly. Cover, and let rise for 30 to 35 minutes.
Bake at 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown.
For Hot Dog Buns: Shape each piece into a 6x4 inch rectangle. Starting with the longer side, roll up tightly, and pinch edges and ends to seal. Let rise about 20 to 25 minutes. Bake as above. These buns are pretty big. I usually make 16 instead of 12.

proofing temp and time can make a difference. If it is very warm, the yeast will be more active and rise quicker making larger air pockets. I put them in a very warm place to rise. You can preheat your oven and place them on top of the range, or heat your oven a bit and then turn it off and then place the bread in the oven to rise for a while. Then, when you turn your oven on to bake you can return them to the top of the range where it is nice and warm. I always cover with a nice warm tea towel to help contain the warmth.

proofing temp and time can make a difference. If it is very warm, the yeast will be more active and rise quicker making larger air pockets. I put them in a very warm place to rise. You can preheat your oven and place them on top of the range, or heat your oven a bit and then turn it off and then place the bread in the oven to rise for a while. Then, when you turn your oven on to bake you can return them to the top of the range where it is nice and warm. I always cover with a nice warm tea towel to help contain the warmth.

When you turn on the oven, put a pan of water in the bottom...the steam helps with retaining the warmth.

Kathleen said:
They look terrific and I'll bet they made terrific hoagie rolls. Let us know how your next batch comes out.

They did- I made a couple sandwiches, and also some spam burgers, which is a childhood favorite of mine lol.

1 can of spam
2" block velveeta cheese
1/2 small onion
Can of cream soup

Grind together all ingredients, spread about 1/4-1/2" thick on a bun, broil until fairly dark brown.

The firmer buns were great for this. They didn't get soggy. I love these things ha ha. I made them at my sisters because she is the only other person I know who appreciates them

Back
Top Bottom