Homemade Italian bread recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foodfan76

Assistant Cook
I got this from 1 of the youtube channels i like to watch, this recipe is really good and i followed it step by step and it worked great! The only thing i would suggest is maybe add some sugar "a small amount", to give s touch more flavor, again, i really liked this one so wanted to share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qleVy4nGwSU

I always add at least a pinch or 2 of sugar to give the yeast an extra boost when I make bread, even if the recipe doesn't call for it.

FoodFan76 I made this bread for dinner
last night.I added 1 tablespoon sugar and a
tablespoon of tomato paste seasoned
with basil It was awesome!!
Thanks for posting

Josie

Interesting , the recipe and the technic completely defies everything I ever learn about bread making.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Interesting , the recipe and the technic completely defies everything I ever learn about bread making.

What do you mean Charlie? Other than the fact that I mix all the liquids together before adding (instead of adding the oil separate) and I don't beat the dough up as much as he did while shaping, it's not different from anything I learned. Remember also that's he's using RapidRise yeast and not traditional so he's speeding things up.

I still make a sponge for some doughs and also get that second rise in before shaping for most things but a lot of recipes don't do that anymore, particularly with RapidRise. Some don't even let the yeast proof at all before adding, though I always do that after having an epic fail once because of dead yeast. I also choose not to use RapidRise and do things the old way in recipes that use it but a lot of people don't have the luxury of time to do that.

Last edited:
I make A LOT of bread, and its so easy, sometimes I take it very seriously and weigh all the ingredients {a cup of flour can weigh double or half as much as another cup depending on how you fill that cup, you can get double the amount}, proof and bake it to perfection, paying attention to every detail...
Other times I do it like this guy, lol, just a cup of this a pinch of that a drip of this...

This video will get you in the door. I would add a tsp of sugar to that recipe for sure, especially if its a little cool in your house..

Now after you made a few basics and get the hang of what the dough should feel like and you like making your own bread try expanding the ingredients a bit... THE RESULTS WILL BE NIGHT AND DAY...

First for yeast I have tried every kind, From fresh blocks to 15 different kinds of instant grans... The best I have ever used is the LeSaffre Gold, its on amazon and in some stores, but by far the best yeast have ever worked with, you would have to really mess up to get a beery flavor or to have it not rise correctly {I have never seen it happen with this product}...
The next thing to consider is a conditioner, I know four, yeast, salt equals pure bread, but a good natural conditioner will make your bread better in every single way I can think of, softer center, better crust, longer lasting, tastier, easier, just all around better...

Look at the honeyville farms product, their conditioner is priced well and works great, plus simple to use, just add a tsp for every cup of flour..

Next is the flour, King Arthurs Flours are great and readily available
Shop for signature flours | King Arthur Flour
{I have about every one of their flours in my pantry, I buy AP 50lbs at a time and the blue bag 25 lbs at a time..

So now with that said, try this mix...

3 cups flour {not packed} I do 2 cups bread 1 cup AP
1 and 1/8th cup hot water
2 tsp yeast
2 tsp salt
1 TBL of conditioner
1 tsp sugar
1 TBL olive oil

Its a simple recipe with some instructions, it will mix fast, rise fast and still come perfect if you do either wrong...

Put the water in the mixing bowl, sprinkle in the gold yeast, let it stand for about 2 minutes, gently dissolve the yeast.

add all the other ingredients, turn on the mixer, the dough should mix well and about a minute after it turns into a ball shut the mixer, and let the dough sit in there for about 10 minutes...

After 10 minutes run the mixer for about 20 seconds and then pull the dough from the bowl, roll it into a ball and cover it until it double in size, shouldnt need much kneading just a few minutes of folding and pressing, then leave it be again..

After it relaxes a bit and grows some more, roll the dough into your bread, whether its a braid, a loaf, or a pan, they will all have different techniques.

I will say we are doing a braid, put your oven on 500, sprinkle your stone with cornmeal and preheat the stone to HOT, also in the lowest rack of the oven at the same time let a cast iron skillet preheat...

So in your oven you have a nice hot stone and a nice hot cast iron skillet...

After your bread has been rolled out and risen a bit more, the next step is to get it on that hot stone, I roll my loaf from my proofing cloth {flax linen works awesome}, and onto my pizza peel, then slide it from my pizza peel to my hot stone...

After the bread is situated on the stone, pour a cup of water into that lower skillet and quickly shut the oven door, lower the temp to 400 and cook until the bottom of the loaf sounds hollow when you tap it...

If you follow them instructions, you will be amazed at the bread that comes out of that oven, it will be far beyond what you could ever expect you could make, lol.

We were in oregon last year staying with a friend of ours, and they make their own bread, just a basic mix like in this video, except they use a little milk and butter {take away a little water, it gives the bread a different texture and flavor, I prefer to leave out the fat, but I also have a great milk/butter recipe and technique if anyone is interested}.
Their bread tasted good, and as we were talking, my wife said to have me make the bread for tomorrows dinner..

So the next day while we were out, we happened to be in a great little store {oregon is full of these market places that are amazing, we were in the mt hood area and I forget the name of the store, but it was amazing, had so much nice stuff, I actually bought myself a new flax cloth while I was there and bought one for our friends. I also bought them the yeast I use and some conditioner {they didnt have my brand but their worked well}.

So wee get back to their place and I give them the stuff, I made them the exact mix I listed above, the exact way... NO MILK NO BUTTER...

All I can say is they were FLOORED, the looks, the smell, the taste, and the next day it was just as soft as when it came out of the oven... I also showed them how to braid...

The next night they wanted me to make the bread and they had me teach them how to do it step by step. They told my wife when they were talking over the holidays that they haven't made their bread since, lol.

Anyway, bread is a wonderful talent/skill that can be perfected so easily, and gives you instant results. I started making bread when I was young, my mother owned 4 bakeries {I owned a deli for 3 years as a side business, but it grew too fast and it was going to kill me, another company wanted it building and all, so I sold it, probably one of the most profitable ventures I ever embarked on, and I enjoyed it}.

Breads are my relaxing past time. I have a bunch of friends and family that will bring my a bag of KA AP so I make them a loaf of bread, lol.. Free flour and I get to make bread...

So now with that said, try this mix...

3 cups flour {not packed} I do 2 cups bread 1 cup AP
1 and 1/8th cup hot water
2 tsp yeast
2 tsp salt
1 TBL of conditioner
1 tsp sugar
1 TBL olive oil

What's conditioner? I've never seen that mentioned in any bread recipe I've ever used. Is that vital wheat gluten?

Well, cups are first of all. The other day I was baking, the recipe called for 3 cups or 600 grams of flour. I measured 3 cups and they were almost a kilogram.

I made a loaf of bread a couple of days ago, and used the standard weight of 5 ounces per cup. After measuring 3 cups I put it on the scale and only had to take out about a tablespoon to hit 15 ounces exactly.

What's conditioner? I've never seen that mentioned in any bread recipe I've ever used. Is that vital wheat gluten?

Dough conditioner is used in a lot of commercial applications where they make doughs, it contains mostly wheat flour, but also has stuff like dextrose, salt, calcium sulfate, and a bunch of added enzymes...

Most call for 1 tsp per cup of flour, in a commercial setting where there product will not see a shelf for a week and then be expected to sit there for months, they use MUCH MUCH MUCH more...
With a 3 cup mix, using 1 tbl spoon, the bread tastes better, looks better, makes easier, and lasts MUCH longer...

I don't use it in all of my doughs but when I mix a 5lb batch that I want to last all week and maybe have intentions on reheating, or what ever, I will use it. If I am mixing a bread batch that we are eating that night, I don't normally use it...

Also for stuff like cakes and cookies, it will keep them fresh for much longer, if you are trying to make soft chocolate chip cookies and want them to stay soft for a long time, add a bit and see how you like it...

The honeyhill farm conditioner is good stuff, I have friends that enter bread competitions {there is such a thing and they are popular}, and they use that brand, it comes in 50lbs or 4lbs, 4 lbs should last even the busiest baker a long time... I have a 4lb container that I have been using for years, lol...

I have another decent trick incase the conditioner word scares you..
for a 3 cup flour batch
1 tsp lecithin granules
3 TBL vital wheat gluten
1/2 tsp ground ginger
and
1/2 tsp citric acid

That is what I used in the bread that I entered a competition with, it was a 9 roll braid, 34 1/2 oz loaf. Won 3rd place :glare: , but I wasnt there, a friend of mine took the bread with him.. But it was far from a basic mix, there were 6 ingredients in the wash, I cooked it in a steam injected oven... ITS WAY TOO MUCH WORK...

Heres a cool video that shows the braids and how to do them, she isn't entering any competition with these loafs, but you can see how they work.. When I made the one I entered I made 12 of them and picked the best one, my braids were much different and my ends were done much different, I had 2 different doughs, one for the showing braids and one for the pan side, I cooked them on screens, it was stressful I will never do it again, lol...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP6j7esQyjk

Last edited:
Heres another fun one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxeO4fhJAs0
I do it just a bit different, I dip my pieces in melted butter, and then spray my egg on right before it goes in the oven... {I spray the egg with a pump squirt bottle}, and I mix a little sugar in my egg, it gives it a sweet taste and darker color...

I did learn how to do the center from this video, I used to just roll one of the larger circles into a funnel, but i like her center better, I have been doing it that way ever since I seen the video...

Last edited:
Yes, so what is conditioner?

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

The first couple paragraphs of post #12 should give you a good idea, I am surprised so few people know what dough conditioner is, its just an additive for improving your mix.. As are every ingredient past flour, water, salt, and yeast. Sugar, milk, eggs, ect are all additives to improve your doughs.. A premix conditioner is just something a company mixed up so you dont have to do the thinking or buy the hard to find ingredients, all the thinking is done for you, $10 of it will last a long long time, so who knows you may like using it, give it a try the one I listed works well, or email me your address and I'll send you a sample to try in an envelope...

The first couple paragraphs of post #12 should give you a good idea, I am surprised so few people know what dough conditioner is, its just an additive for improving your mix.. As are every ingredient past flour, water, salt, and yeast. Sugar, milk, eggs, ect are all additives to improve your doughs.. A premix conditioner is just something a company mixed up so you dont have to do the thinking or buy the hard to find ingredients, all the thinking is done for you, $10 of it will last a long long time, so who knows you may like using it, give it a try the one I listed works well, or email me your address and I'll send you a sample to try in an envelope...

So, if you use this conditioner (assuming I can find it anywhere), does it replace part of the flour in a recipe that does not include it? I really hate to start messing with the dry to wet proportions when I'm not sure what I'm doing.

So, if you use this conditioner (assuming I can find it anywhere), does it replace part of the flour in a recipe that does not include it? I really hate to start messing with the dry to wet proportions when I'm not sure what I'm doing.

You can get the honeyville all natural conditioner here...

http://www.amazon.com/Dough-Conditi...=1420833490&sr=8-1&keywords=dough+conditioner

Or give me your address and I will mail you a bit to try, I am confident you will like the results, an easy way to test it is to try it and make your normal dough right next to it, you will then be a believer. Check out the reviews on amazon, I know there is 1 1 star that said it smelt bad, but honestly it smells like flour???? Not sure what that is about, most likely a scam of some sort since, when I spoke to a rep from honeyville she told she has had people buy on amazon, return the product {they throw it away either way of course} but they checked them out and the people filled it with normal flour, lol, I guess $17 for 4 lbs is too much money for some people.

As far as the moisture ratio you can add a tsp of water if you like or take away the amount of conditioner from your flour, but when I started using conditioner I never adjusted my water and have had no issues.
If you figure a 3 cup mix adding 1 tbl spoon is not a big difference {1/4 oz for every 12 and 3/4 oz of flour, if you use KA AP which according to their chart weighs 4.25 oz per cup}...

I don't get crazy about the mix any more, not for bread around the house.

I made a mix about 3 hours ago, to be honest with you I use the scooper, which is about 1 1/2 cup per scoop, so I do 6 scoops {around 9 cups} of flour total, with just over 3 1/4 cups water, ect ect ect... It makes just under 6lbs of dough, I bagged 2 lbs up for pizza and or calzones over the weekend, I made a 2lb braid for sundays dinner, I made a pan loaf for my mother and rolled the rest into 5" hoagie rolls... If I didn't use the conditioner the dough and bread would deteriorate by the day, I wouldn't be able to cook it as crispy and I am just used to it now, it works very well, I dont mind sending you some to try...

Also don't be worried about buying a 4lb container, if you know a few people who also bake you can usually convince them after they see your bread to buy a lb off of you, it ends up around $4.50 a lb, but a lb goes a long way.. I have never had any go bad on me, it comes with a moisture packet and in a sealable container...

You can get the honeyville all natural conditioner here...

http://www.amazon.com/Dough-Conditi...=1420833490&sr=8-1&keywords=dough+conditioner

Or give me your address and I will mail you a bit to try, I am confident you will like the results, an easy way to test it is to try it and make your normal dough right next to it, you will then be a believer. Check out the reviews on amazon, I know there is 1 1 star that said it smelt bad, but honestly it smells like flour???? Not sure what that is about, most likely a scam of some sort since, when I spoke to a rep from honeyville she told she has had people buy on amazon, return the product {they throw it away either way of course} but they checked them out and the people filled it with normal flour, lol, I guess $17 for 4 lbs is too much money for some people.

As far as the moisture ratio you can add a tsp of water if you like or take away the amount of conditioner from your flour, but when I started using conditioner I never adjusted my water and have had no issues.
If you figure a 3 cup mix adding 1 tbl spoon is not a big difference {1/4 oz for every 12 and 3/4 oz of flour, if you use KA AP which according to their chart weighs 4.25 oz per cup}...

I don't get crazy about the mix any more, not for bread around the house.

I made a mix about 3 hours ago, to be honest with you I use the scooper, which is about 1 1/2 cup per scoop, so I do 6 scoops {around 9 cups} of flour total, with just over 3 1/4 cups water, ect ect ect... It makes just under 6lbs of dough, I bagged 2 lbs up for pizza and or calzones over the weekend, I made a 2lb braid for sundays dinner, I made a pan loaf for my mother and rolled the rest into 5" hoagie rolls... If I didn't use the conditioner the dough and bread would deteriorate by the day, I wouldn't be able to cook it as crispy and I am just used to it now, it works very well, I dont mind sending you some to try...

Also don't be worried about buying a 4lb container, if you know a few people who also bake you can usually convince them after they see your bread to buy a lb off of you, it ends up around $4.50 a lb, but a lb goes a long way.. I have never had any go bad on me, it comes with a moisture packet and in a sealable container...

Thanks for the info and for the offer. I had already added it to my Amazon wish list to order the next time I need to get something. I may just bite the bullet and do it anyway. I love making bread (I could almost live on jalapeno cheese focaccia), but don't do it as often as I'd like because my wife is type 2 diabetic, yet she will eat it if it's there. I try to curb the baker in me to only making bread about twice a month. Again, thanks. :)

Back
Top Bottom