"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-12-2011, 06:32 PM   #11
Executive Chef
 
justplainbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
I think I said before... 7-9 minutes at 500 degrees.
Fresh tomatoes will still be quite watery after 7 - 9 minutes.
__________________

__________________
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:41 PM   #12
Executive Chef
 
Selkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Fresh tomatoes will still be quite watery after 7 - 9 minutes.
Not if they are thinly sliced. I adjust cooking time for a. The cheese to brown, and b. the Crust edge to bubble and toast. Everything else is on its own.
__________________

__________________
"Food is our common ground, a universal experience." - James Beard
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:44 PM   #13
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
Not if they are thinly sliced. I adjust cooking time for a. The cheese to brown, and b. the Crust edge to bubble and toast. Everything else is on its own.
in fact I crush my tomato rather than slicing them. also I don't think the cheese on a pizza margherita is supposed to brown.
__________________
Hyperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:44 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
I'm sorry, Hyperion, but those two pies look practically identical to me.
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:54 PM   #15
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I'm sorry, Hyperion, but those two pies look practically identical to me.
that's the highest praise lol. thanks
__________________
Hyperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:13 PM   #16
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,005
One last thought on the heat in your home oven.

Play with the location of your stone. If you use a gas oven the stone could rest on the floor of the oven, also heat rises so you could try the top of the oven. The bubbles you are after are the result of high heat creating steam in the crust.

Also we could all be over thinking this. The guys in my local pizza shop just make pizza, no big deal. Bubbles ? Whatta ya talkin bout bubbles?
__________________
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:42 PM   #17
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 9,633
Wow, your pizza is looking good!

I wish I can find 00 flour in bulk around here so I can bake them at very high temps. I can only get them in 1 kilo bags which are quite expensive.
__________________
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:48 PM   #18
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
One last thought on the heat in your home oven.

Play with the location of your stone. If you use a gas oven the stone could rest on the floor of the oven, also heat rises so you could try the top of the oven. The bubbles you are after are the result of high heat creating steam in the crust.

Also we could all be over thinking this. The guys in my local pizza shop just make pizza, no big deal. Bubbles ? Whatta ya talkin bout bubbles?
lol yea I know... most americans see pizza as pies with smooth, uniform edge like on a pizza hut commercial.
__________________
Hyperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:52 PM   #19
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
lol yea I know... most americans see pizza as pies with smooth, uniform edge like on a pizza hut commercial.

Todd English says never trust a round pizza
__________________

__________________
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
homemade, pizza

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.