Homemade Noodles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robin

Senior Cook
My husband likes Homemade Chicken Noodle soup. His grandmother use to make it however the recipe died with her. She made the noodles a certain way. I've made a basic noodle (flour, eggs, salt) but it's just not like how grandma made it.

So, anyone have some grandma style recipes?

well my grandma did not really make noodles
she was jamaican so she made "spinners" lol dumplings
flour, water, likkle salt and lots love she used to say
made into a stiff dough
pinched off and rolled out like large toothpicks
but they were good real good

the trick to making the soup good would be she would poach the chicken first in water and some veggies and let it cool over night
toss the used up veggies
pull out the chicken remove the skin and bones and shred the flesh
add fresh veggies and whatever noodles or spinners or dumplings
lots of bay leaves and fresh thyme
a toss of soy sauce and lots of black pepper
then add the flesh back and way we go

another good one is down south they float uncooked biscuits on top then finish it in the oven
the biscuits are brown and crispy on top
tender and redolent of the soup

Here's my recipe:

Chicken and Dumplings, Southern Illinois Style

Down here, we roll our dumplings...guess you'd call them noodles.

INGREDIENTS:
1 chicken, boiled, boned and cut up
4 qts broth from chicken
2 eggs
3 cups flour
1 tbl dried parsley, or 1/4 cup fresh chopped Italian parsley
few drops yellow food coloring
salt, pepper

DIRECTIONS:
Season chicken broth to taste with salt, pepper, parsley and a few drops yellow food color. If there isn't enough liquid to make 4 qts, add canned broth or water. Break eggs in 2 cup measure, beat, and add enough cooled broth to fill cup. Mix well. Put 2 cups flour in large bowl, make a well in center, and add egg mixture. With a fork, work in flour till dough forms a a ball. Put on floured pastry cloth or board. Knead lightly, working in just enough flour so the dough can be rolled. Too much flour will make the noodles tough. Roll out as thin as possible. Using a pizza cutter dipped in flour, cut dough in 1-1/2" strips, then cut the other way to make squares, dropping into boiling broth as you go. After all are in, cook over med heat at a gentle simmer till almost tender, about an hour. Add chicken and continue simmering until chicken is warm. Adjust seasoning.
*note* You may freeze uncooked noodles on cookie sheet between layers of waxed paper, then remove to a ziplock bag when frozen. Just drop frozen noodles into boiling broth when needed.
*For a more flavorful broth, cook chopped celery, onions, carrots and minced garlic along with chicken and let simmer till chicken is falling of the bone. Strain broth before using if you wish.

Back
Top Bottom