Homemade spaghetti noodles - advice/tips, please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kristen17

Assistant Cook
I'm trying to perfect making homemade spaghetti and realizing that it's quite hard to have each noodle maintain it's shape and size once it starts to cook. I laid the dough out flat and cut them like fettuccine, except when they were cooked in the boiling water they looked like measly round bumpy worms in the end. (still tasted ok though)

Any techniques or suggestions to note? I'm guessing they have to be separated one by one an place them in the boiling water one by one too?

When making fettucine, I have found you really have to roll out the dough thinner than you thought you had to. To keep the dough from sticking or the cut strands separate, dust/toss with flour.

Once I have a sheet of dough, I roll it up loosely, then cut slices from the roll. Then you have to toss/fluff it to get the strands separate before cooking.

after cutting the strips of noodle out, why not hang them on a stick (a lot of sticks) to dry before cooking?

after cutting the strips of noodle out, why not hang them on a stick (a lot of sticks) to dry before cooking?

Drying fresh noodles is for storage. there's no point in drying fresh noodles if you're going cook them right away. Boiling them is a means of rehydrating.

Drying fresh noodles is for storage. there's no point in drying fresh noodles if you're going cook them right away. Boiling them is a means of rehydrating.
I know, but dry noodles gets a better chance in absorbing salt from the pasta water, which is why I prefer rehydrating dry noodles

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom