"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-11-2010, 11:49 AM   #1
Master Chef

Honey

True or false? I was told that the Real honey will not stay liquid. You know the store bought stuff stay liquid forever. Allegedly Real honey should become hard, you know kind of like sugary substance. Is it true or not? Is there anybody here who is familiar with honey making?

Old 11-11-2010, 11:57 AM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
True or false? I was told that the Real honey will not stay liquid. You know the store bought stuff stay liquid forever. Allegedly Real honey should become hard, you know kind of like sugary substance. Is it true or not? Is there anybody here who is familiar with honey making?
Even the store bought honey will eventually re-crystalize, if left long enough. The local honey I buy is sold from a warmer container and crystalizes very quickly. Store brand honey is treated or mixed with a variety that takes longer.

I understand the science, but have a hard time expressing it. Sounds like a question for Goodweed and one of his excellent explanations.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:04 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Charlie, it's all a matter of time. In a tightly sealed container, honey will stay liquid longer than if it's exposed to air. All honey does eventually crystallize.

Unadulterated honey will last forever. Edible honey was found in the pyramids of Egypt.

You can reconstitute crystallized honey by heating it.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:03 PM   #4
Master Chef

DH has a friend with a hive and he gives us a jar of honey each season. I've never had a problem with it crystallizing. I still have a jar from last year that is still good.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:22 PM   #5
Head Chef

Some honey will crystallize and others not. It has to do with how moist the honey is, I think I read that honey has 20% water to 80% sugar on average.

When I spun the honey out of the comb one year, that honey did not crystallize and lasted all year. This year when I bought it from a bee farmer it crystallized within a few weeks--it's still delicious and it's easy enough to warm it up bring it back to a clear state.