"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 05-13-2008, 09:38 PM   #11
Executive Chef
You seem to forget she said she eats the same thing and is getting tired of it also. Her daughter doesn't sound picky. She sounds adventurous. I love it. Especially at that age. If you hold her back now, cooking may only become a chore, like it was for my mother. And I only learned how great it could be when I left home. So much time and adventure wasted!!!

quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:12 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I have a 4 yo that wont eat alot. Ever since he was about 2. It's been said already and sounds cruel, but don't cater. It's taken 2 years but he is coming around and is eating, or at least trying, what is given to him every night. I know it's very easy to feel like you need to make what they want just so they will eat, but I believe in the end that will make them more picky, not to mention YOU are in control not your children. It's not mean it's parenting. I take requests, but I dont cater, and I dont make everyone a different meal. You get what you get.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.....
suziquzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:19 AM   #13
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
My 3 yo grandson dips all his meat in bbq sauce or ketchup, his Dad did it with green beans !
We can help You with your cooking too - just ask - fine helpful people here.
Welcome to DC, nice to have you with us.
Grandma's Boys - Isaiah (11) Cameron (3 )
Barb L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:44 AM   #14
Master Chef
My kids would drown just about anything in ketchup when they were little. Cheese sauce was another staple at home to make something they wouldn't eat into something they would. At 2 yrs old, there are not a lot of dietary restrictions so start making food that YOU want and get this child tasting different things. It is typical of toddlers to fixate on one food for a long period of time like only wanting peanut butter and jelly or mac'n'cheese. I always made my kids take at least one bite of something new when it was offered. If they didn't like it fine but atleast they had tasted it first before rejecting it.
I could give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!
jabbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:20 AM   #15
the child is 2. they will eat what you make.

if not for dinner...then for breakfast....if not then, for lunch....get it?

I WISH my parents did that for me...maybe I wouldn't not like green vegetables and seafood so much.

my young aunt has a kid that pretty much only eats wawa hotdogs....plain. period. or ramen noodles.

cheap to feed, but jesus.
randallpmcmurphy.blogspot - A newbie just learning how to cook blog
RPMcMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:34 AM   #16
Head Chef
I wish I could remember exactly how my parents did this, but NOT eating the food put in front of us just never occurred to us, and there was never any coercion, punishment, scolding, threatening, wheedling, begging, etc. It was real simple. "It's time to eat. Here's our food. Let's eat it." Period. My mother was a good, basic cook and my Dad was a health teacher, so planning our meals to be well-balanced was also a part of life. He had made cardboard cutouts of all different kinds of food and mounted them on wood blocks, and then we'd put meals together, like a game. Of course, there were SEVEN food groups then, so it was a little more complicated - LOL.
Saludos, Karen
MexicoKaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:10 AM   #17
Master Chef
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
...When she gets hungry she will eat...!!
With five kids I though Iíve seen everything. NeahÖ
My number 4 will not eat for days; she has gone for 3 days on water only, unless you give her what she likes. Doesnít have to be anything fancy, bowl of cereal will do, but she will not touch most elaborate meal you can imagine making if this isnít what she likes. For example she likes noodles. So thatís easy you would think. NeahÖ she only eats elbow macaroni, and no matter what you do and how you try to explain to her that all noodles are very much the same, plain boiled, she will not eat any other kinds.
So donít think that all kids are the same and will eat when they are hungry. Iíve made that mistake in the past. There are some that will NOT!
I do agree about not forcing the issue though.

Now for the original question. First take the ď30 minutes mealsĒ book and put into your recycling box or garbage, which ever is easier. Then Iíd say start with 5 basic sauces. What are they called, mother sauces? I donít think I would be able to explain better than some decent cook book, so I recommend looking it up on the internet or in the book store.
Since you havenít figure out what it is that you kid wants all it will take are 5 tries.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:22 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
[FONT=Bookman Old Style][SIZE=3]Now for the original question. First take the ď30 minutes mealsĒ book and put into your recycling box or garbage, which ever is easier...
No, don't do that. Look through it a little more thoroughly - right in the beginning, there are recipes for several pasta sauces, and I know there are also pan sauce recipes in there. I made one with fond (browned bits) from sauteed chicken, chicken stock, Dijon mustard, can't remember what else, but it was great. The book also has several variations on a single recipe, so by changing out some of the ingredients, you can take the basic recipe and make it different. HTH.
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:35 AM   #19
Executive Chef
I'm thinking a more healthy alternative is to make vegetable and fruit purees seasoned thinned out and used as a sauce. Try a couple and see if she takes to it. Some puree ideas carrots,broccoli, sweet potato, berries etc. Apple sauce is good with pork.
"It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it." - Julia Child
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:23 PM   #20
Master Chef
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
No, don't do that. ....
Do it anyway. I can't stand RR.

You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote