"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-14-2008, 02:56 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Do it anyway. I can't stand RR.
It's not your book, Charlie, you don't have to read it - besides, it's not a book on tape

Old 05-14-2008, 02:59 PM   #22
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
With five kids I though Iíve seen everything. NeahÖ
My number 4 will not eat for days; she has gone for 3 days on water only, unless you give her what she likes. Doesnít have to be anything fancy, bowl of cereal will do, but she will not touch most elaborate meal you can imagine making if this isnít what she likes. For example she likes noodles. So thatís easy you would think. NeahÖ she only eats elbow macaroni, and no matter what you do and how you try to explain to her that all noodles are very much the same, plain boiled, she will not eat any other kinds.
So donít think that all kids are the same and will eat when they are hungry. Iíve made that mistake in the past. There are some that will NOT!
I do agree about not forcing the issue though.

Now for the original question. First take the ď30 minutes mealsĒ book and put into your recycling box or garbage, which ever is easier. Then Iíd say start with 5 basic sauces. What are they called, mother sauces? I donít think I would be able to explain better than some decent cook book, so I recommend looking it up on the internet or in the book store.
Since you havenít figure out what it is that you kid wants all it will take are 5 tries.

I agree with that...i have a cousin who is on medication to increase his appetite because if he doesn't like it he just won't eat. He doesn't beef, he only wants pancake and sausages EVERY MORNING for breakfast and if he goes to school and the school lunch they serve is not something he likes he just won't eat. My aunt was unaware of this until recently. some kids are strong willed and have no idea what's good for them...so I think you have to find a balance. Don't force feed them, but don't let them walk around without eating either. Try to compromise. As a child I wouldn't eat alot of veggies so my mom gave me fruit instead. Kids love ketchup, also try ranch and honey mustard....kids like to dip things...

Old 05-14-2008, 03:07 PM   #23
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Get yourself a good Chinese cookbook. I suggest one of Martin Yan's cookbooks. Most Chinese food has some kind of sauce associated with it, and they have a pretty good balance of meat to vegetables.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:35 PM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
It's not your book, Charlie, you don't have to read it - besides, it's not a book on tape
Thank G-d it is not my book. If i had to learn how to cook from RR, I'd be still eating in McDonalds, oh, wait I hate McDonalds. Thank G-d I know how to cook.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:41 PM   #25
Everymom

Cluelessbutterfly, try looking up a recipe book called Cooking for the Rushed. It has lots of variety and lots of "saucy" things that your daughter will like. My kids love nearly everything I've tried out of there (my husband too). Now be warned, its not gourmet cuisine, its just down home cooking made easy.

Posted the link for you. I have the blue one and the yellow one. The yellow one is AWESOME and the recipes can be done in the house instead of outside too.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:34 PM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
..., its just down home cooking made easy.

Alix to the rescue, that is exactly what she need.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:35 PM   #27
Everymom

Aw shucks Charlie, you made me blush!
Old 05-15-2008, 01:36 PM   #28
Senior Cook

I was pressed for time the other night and I was making a steak dinner with mashed potatoes and veggies. I bought a bernaise sauce (powder in a packet that had to be mixed) by knorr and it was surprisingly good. You could put the sauce on chicken and veggies for a nice meal.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:15 PM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Aw shucks Charlie, you made me blush!

Ah you should know by now and not blush after what I say. I always say either something stupid or something nasty. Of course i always have the best intentions in mind.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:02 PM   #30
Executive Chef

a simple Thai peanut sauce is made with chicken broth and peanut butter plus a little lime juice if you like. Hot pepper optional. Great on chicken beef pork seafood.

Welsh rarebit is a cheese sauce and is easily available in the freezer section made by Stauffers. Great on fish, chicken, veggies, or just toast.

Stews make their own gravy. Flour the meat pieces (red meat or chicken) and brown in butter or oil. Add vegies to pot, add broth, maybe a little wine, deglaze pan bottom (scrape up the bits) put on lid and cook in the oven for and hour (chicken) or two (beef) THe gravy should be thick enough from the flour and browning already. Season to taste with s & p. (herbs: Thyme for beef or pork, tarragon for chicken)

There are many bottled sauces gravies etc and several packages by McCormick or Knorr that will do also.