"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-15-2008, 05:33 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Question

It is 3 days later and have yet to hear back from "cluelessbutterfly" about all these ideas. What's up with that?
Clueless, what say you?

Old 05-15-2008, 06:10 PM   #32
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
It is 3 days later and have yet to hear back from "cluelessbutterfly" about all these ideas. What's up with that?

Clueless, what say you?
If she is a harried first time Mom with a 2 yo I figure she MIGHT have enough time to read her email and keep up with the posts let alone try to reaspond back.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:32 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
My kids would drown just about anything in ketchup when they were little. Cheese sauce was another staple at home to make something they wouldn't eat into something they would. At 2 yrs old, there are not a lot of dietary restrictions so start making food that YOU want and get this child tasting different things. It is typical of toddlers to fixate on one food for a long period of time like only wanting peanut butter and jelly or mac'n'cheese. I always made my kids take at least one bite of something new when it was offered. If they didn't like it fine but atleast they had tasted it first before rejecting it.
when i was growing up the rule was: one bite of everything on the table. every meal. we never argued or complained , never would have occured to us. i think that was the reason i like such a wide range of food. my dad was a bit of a health nut even 45 years ago. i remember we had fish for dinner which most people then did not.

same rule with my kids. same result. it is important to be ready with rules that make sense. one bite of anything is not going to kill a child. be aware they might gag, etc. to prove their point, ingore them. (i know easier said than done)

babe
Old 05-15-2008, 07:43 PM   #34
Head Chef

Babe, I have wondered if we were sisters......sounds just like my family. We had fish at least once a week - my Dad was a health nut too. Way ahead of his time.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:26 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
Babe, I have wondered if we were sisters......sounds just like my family. We had fish at least once a week - my Dad was a health nut too. Way ahead of his time.
could be karen, you never know.

babe
Old 06-01-2008, 12:53 PM   #36
Assistant Cook

Thanks you all so much for all the suggestions!!!!

I got a PM from another member about the campbell website, and it is amazing!

I just made lunch, my 2 year old girl is taking a nap right now, so she has not tried my lunch today.

I work nights- so it takes me a while to get to my 'online life'.

anyways, I am so excited, I got the recipe from that site, and it's called 'Crispy Chicken with Asparagus Sauce' . I tried it and to me it's delicious.

I followed everything word by word, except for the oil & water, I added a little more because the first 2 pieces of chicken did not come out so good.

Finally, I find out that to make crispy chicken it takes more oil than 2 table spoons! LOL

It's a good recipe, and easy to make for an amateur cook like me. but little by little I learn.

I know how to save lives, I am an RN- I know how to start an IV, but to cook I am totally clueless- and it didn't help that I didn't have brothers and sisters growing up, so my mom did everything for me--- and I lived with her until I got married! go figure!
Old 06-01-2008, 01:01 PM   #37
Assistant Cook

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410 View Post
a simple Thai peanut sauce is made with chicken broth and peanut butter plus a little lime juice if you like. Hot pepper optional. Great on chicken beef pork seafood.

Welsh rarebit is a cheese sauce and is easily available in the freezer section made by Stauffers. Great on fish, chicken, veggies, or just toast.

Stews make their own gravy. Flour the meat pieces (red meat or chicken) and brown in butter or oil. Add vegies to pot, add broth, maybe a little wine, deglaze pan bottom (scrape up the bits) put on lid and cook in the oven for and hour (chicken) or two (beef) THe gravy should be thick enough from the flour and browning already. Season to taste with s & p. (herbs: Thyme for beef or pork, tarragon for chicken)

There are many bottled sauces gravies etc and several packages by McCormick or Knorr that will do also.
everything you wrote sounds great! now just how much of everything- I am guessing I have to estimate how much right?

thanks!
Old 06-01-2008, 02:32 PM   #38
Head Chef

The more you cook, clueless, the easier it will get, and you will acquire a "feel" for what is needed. If you can mix up an IV solution, you can do this. And if you do it wrong, nobody is going to die! The only magic ingredient for learning to cook is the desire to learn and you have that. Don't give up!
Old 06-01-2008, 06:44 PM   #39
Assistant Cook

Thanks again guys!

I will definitely keep trying again and again- and definitely get to trying the new flavors.

cooking is so important! I wish I would of found this site sooner!
Old 06-01-2008, 07:05 PM   #40
Master Chef

yeah, when I took my daughter who was in the 90% zone for weight I didn't get a lot of sympathy for why she didn't eat......I guess it was my perception......Doc Mac said that she was inhaling it out of the air.....what a great guy and he believed in teething causing ear infections..........