"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-13-2008, 05:48 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Horrible cook with picky 2-yo. Need major help please!!

My 2 year old does not like dry food. She likes food with sauce----

my problem is- I hate to admit it- but I am a horrible cook.

I bought "cooking basics for dummies" as well as "30 minute meals" <-- but none have recipes with food with sauces.

I need help please. Ideas on what I can do so she doesn't eat the same thing every day.
I make for her, salmon with spices & lots of butter, meat balls- chicken both with natural home made tomato sauce. ground beef with angel hair pasta and the tomato sauce....
but since I eat what she eats- I am tired of the same ol' thing too.

so I would like suggestions or ideas on what I can do for my family. or a book that you can suggest on how to make different kind of meals.

please help me!!

Old 05-13-2008, 06:39 PM   #2
Head Chef

It is difficult for us to know just what kind of sauces your child likes; that's one that you would know, so let me suggest this. Go to Google and type in the search box "Sauces and Gravies." There will be hundreds of sauce and gravy recipes and the foods you can use them on.
I could give you a dozen sauce recipes, but I still don't know which ones your child will eat. Good luck, I think you'll like what you see on those sites.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:41 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

that's the problem!
I have no idea where to start. the only thing I know, she likes tomato sauces and we are definitely looking to try new things.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:43 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Offer the child a well balanced diet using a wide variety of foods...very few snacks etc. especially if she does not eat...If she doesn't eat at a meal here and there...don't force the issue...When she gets hungry she will eat...and I promise she want starve herself to death!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:21 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

How about salsas? You can make savory ones with tomatoes, bell peppers, onions and herbs, or sweet ones with different kinds of fruits. Search the site for pan sauces - you can saute meats in a pan, then make a pan sauce from the drippings to serve over the meat, or on potatoes or rice to go with the meat. HTH.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:53 PM   #6
Hospitality Queen

I think a lot like Uncle Bob too. I learned early on, as a mom, that the child will eventually eat, and will not starve to death.
Keep in mind that if you let your little one dictate what she'll eat, you'll end up with a very picky eater throughout life. I'd serve "fun to eat" types of foods without sauces. One thing my boys really liked was swedish meatballs. (without the gravy). I'd make them really small, and after they came out of the oven, I'd put a few on a plate, along with other small finger foods.
Don't worry about your cooking abilities! Fresh fruit and vegs only need to be cut up into different shapes to make "artwork". It's fun to make a smiley face from things like that :)
Another thing I found that works: have your daughter be "in charge" of choosing one new item from the produce department. Have her find something that really looks interesting, and have her help you prepare it. Kids who do this early on, end up with quite a culinary interest!
Best of luck!
Old 05-13-2008, 08:10 PM   #7
Master Chef

Site Moderator

How about foods cut into fun shapes with cookie cutters? Get some of the open metal ones and use them to cut sandwiches, pancakes, waffles, bread, sliced cheese into differrent shapes. You migh even be able to cut thin pork chops, chicken. Try giving her different dips to try, or try gavey, cheese sauces, ketchup, ranch dressing, ect.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:08 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluelessbutterfly View Post
that's the problem!
I have no idea where to start. the only thing I know, she likes tomato sauces and we are definitely looking to try new things.
I hate to say it, but "eat it or go hungry" sounds pretty familiar. The only time that didn't happen at my house was with things like liver, etc.

Fry up some chicken, make chicken gravy and mashed potatoes. I don't know any kid that doesn't like that..

Do a Meatloaf. Good meatloaf is hard to beat. Give her a bottle of ketchup to "sauce" it with.

Just cook.. she won't starve..
Old 05-13-2008, 10:16 PM   #9
Head Chef

I know it is easier said than done, but I agree with jkath, Uncle Bob, etc. that it would be a huge mistake to let your 2 year old take charge here. You are the parent. It's your job to socialize this child and help her learn to eat a healthy diet. No reason not to make it fun, though, and I like some of the ideas already offered here. The important thing is to be casual, take it easy, don't let her eating habits become the focus of attention in your lives. Just put food in front of her, and if she doesn't eat it, clear it away. She WILL get hungry enough to eat eventually, and she won't starve.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:19 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Peanut sauce is a big hit wih our son. He also loves soups (butternut squash, tomato & basil, corn chowder, any & all kinds of chicken soup, asparagus, cauliflower, etc.). When my son says he isn't hungry for dinner, I suggest a snack. Snack's always sound more appetizing to him. I put on a sectioned plate, carrot sticks, edamame, cheese, chicken, peanuts, crackers, apples, banana. He picks but ends up eating almost everything. Good luck!