"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-11-2014, 12:26 PM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
You need to get good quality horseradish. Buy Silver Spring brand. it's very good. Stays fresh for a long time. That's the only brand that stays sharp for a long time after opening.

This one is the best:

Horseradish with Beets | Horseradish Products | Silver Spring
Charlie, I'm sorry to say that's a brand I've bought and I'll never buy it again. In my opinion, it lost it's heat and flavor really fast

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:04 PM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Charlie, I'm sorry to say that's a brand I've bought and I'll never buy it again. In my opinion, it lost it's heat and flavor really fast
Really, strange. What kind did you buy? Few weeks ago I opened a jar of red kind, with beets, I found stock behind something, in my spare fridge, it was "Best before 12-2012" Don't tell anybody I tried it and it was still good. I just finished it last night. It was still good. Not as strong as one I make for Passover, but pretty darn good.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:19 PM   #33
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I love this horseradish, it is sold refrigerated. We also like the salsa sold on the site and the Beaver horseradish & mustards are also sold here. And they have real wasabi paste. The beaver brands are not refrigerated.

Tulelake : Beaverton Foods, the largest producer of non-refrigerated horseradish and specialty mustards in the United States.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:38 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Really, strange. What kind did you buy? Few weeks ago I opened a jar of red kind, with beets, I found stock behind something, in my spare fridge, it was "Best before 12-2012" Don't tell anybody I tried it and it was still good. I just finished it last night. It was still good. Not as strong as one I make for Passover, but pretty darn good.

I make beets and horseradish for Easter! My MIL and her mother before her made it every year. They used horseradish root and fresh beets. I use prepared horseradish and canned beets. The brand I buy here is BL or Dicks. It comes in regular and extra hot, 5.5 oz jars. I buy the extra hot. I make some with 1 jar of horseradish to 1 can of beets for the ones that don't want to have any feeling in their tongue after they eat it. For the rest of us I use 1 jar to 2 cans of beets. BL also makes it already red in a jar. I tried it once and we didn't like it. I save small olive and pickle jars all year to pack it and everyone gets a couple jars of it to take home.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:40 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Roll Bones, do you have a Food Saver or Seal A Meal machine? I wonder if you could vacuum seal the jar after you open it until you're ready to use it again. Would that keep it longer?
Old 02-11-2014, 08:53 PM   #36
Master Chef

When I make it myself, I do it from scratch.

But I just remember, if you happened to have Restaurant Depot near you they have the horseradish that is so hot it can light a match with it. I'll try to remember to check the brand next time I am there. Though I do not go very often.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:04 AM   #37
Chief Eating Officer

I love Horseradish and the hotter the better. When I get store bought it is Ba-Tempte. I get the white, not the red as it is hotter. I have never had a problem with it losing potency even when it is many months old.

My mother grates her own and while i enjoy that much more I find it wildly inconsistent. Sometimes it is so potent you can hardly stand it and other times it is so mild it is like eating air. I find the freshly grated stuff loses its potency very quickly though. Like within hours, not days. When it is good though there is nothing like it.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:45 AM   #38
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Horseradish is easy to grow - probably TOO easy as it will take over your garden if given half a chance. It's also very nasty to peel and to grate unless you have processor.
DOUBLE DITTO! Ask me how I know! I planted one horseradish root. Years later, after I'd ripped it all out (I thought) it still came up in strange places yards away.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:43 AM   #39
Executive Chef

My MIL always grated her own horseradish, or should I say, her son's grated it for her. LOL I tried that once, but the fumes were unbearable. Once I started making my beet horseradish with the horseradish from a jar, everyone liked it, so I take the easy way out. It is still pretty potent. Of course, if you have sinus problems, grating the horseradish will surely clear up any sinus congestion you might have!
Old 05-20-2014, 12:29 PM   #40
Master Chef

I like a mild horseradish. When I was looking for one I bought a small jar of INGLEHOFFER THICK AND CREAMY. Holy moley, it was to hot for me, so I added about 1/4 cup of mayonnaise to tone it down and now it is perfect. Does anyone know of a mild one? My dad was just the opposite, the hotter the better.