Horseradish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roll_Bones

Master Chef
I am tired of buying prepared horseradish in the jar. It looses its potency as soon as you open the jar it seems.
I watched a show on TV about packaging horseradish. Maybe it was this show that has me buying a new jar every time I need some.
I bought a jar Last Saturday for my shrimp cocktail to serve during the game, but found two other jars in the fridge already open and almost full.
Even the brand new jar had no heat! It had taste, but it was not spicy hot as I wanted. I had to heat up the cocktail sauce with Cayenne.
I usually buy the brand thats in the refrigerated section.

Whats the low down on horseradish? Must one buy fresh? What kind do you use and how do you make certain you have fresh tasting horseradish when you need it?
Storage? Can it be stored after opening?
To have two jars of opened horseradish and new jar, it seems I need some help. TIA........John

We use both prepared and fresh. Just depends on what we are making. About twice a year we will can some homemade worcestshire sauce, which uses quite a bit of fresh horse radish. Fresh really works well in dishes like horsey potatoes or horse radish cream sauce (kinda like Arby's horsey sauce). I like prepared for cocktail sauce and on prime rib.

We use both prepared and fresh. Just depends on what we are making. About twice a year we will can some homemade worcestshire sauce, which uses quite a bit of fresh horse radish. Fresh really works well in dishes like horsey potatoes or horse radish cream sauce (kinda like Arby's horsey sauce). I like prepared for cocktail sauce and on prime rib.

Craig. My issue is storing this stuff. Seems to lose flavor very quickly. The reason I have three opened jars in my fridge.

According to the "Horseradish Association" (yes there is one) it should stay fresh for up to 6 months in a tightly closed jar under refrigeration.
It may be what I am buying? I remember horseradish being quite hot and pungent. None of the jars I have resemble this statement.

They have taste, but no heat or nose action going on. Shouldn't my nose quiver at the aroma?

I have never really noticed the lack of nose and sinus "rush" from the prepared stuff we by. The brand is Seminole.

This one knocked my socks off when used in CraigC's marmalade shrimp sauce ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1391544586.746746.jpg. Label says it's good through June.

My dad made his own HR, the fumes nearly killed him! One of his jars lasted me about a year in the fridge. I do hear you, Roll, the processed stuff doesn't seem to last long. I too have a small collection.

Last edited:
This one knocked my socks off when used in CraigC's marmalade shrimp sauceView attachment 20695. Label says it's good through June.

My dad made his own HR, the fumes nearly killed him! One of his jars lasted me about a year in the fridge. I do hear you, Roll, the processed stuff doesn't seem to last long. I too have a small collection.

That brand is the best I've ever found also Dawg! They also have a squeezable HR sauce that's great and potent for sandwiches. It's the only brand I've ever found that doesn't die in the door of the refrigerator.
Like your dad, I made my own once and nearly needed the paramedics. :LOL:

That brand is the best I've ever found also Dawg! They also have a squeezable HR sauce that's great and potent for sandwiches. It's the only brand I've ever found that doesn't die in the door of the refrigerator.
Like your dad, I made my own once and nearly needed the paramedics. :LOL:

Good to know, Kayelle! This stuff is HOT! But really good!

You could buy a root of fresh horseradish and grate enough to spark up the jars now and then. That much won't kill you ;)

I bought some to make sauce Albert (bechamel simmered with grated horseradish). It will keep forever.

I am tired of buying prepared horseradish in the jar. It looses its potency as soon as you open the jar it seems.
I watched a show on TV about packaging horseradish. Maybe it was this show that has me buying a new jar every time I need some.
I bought a jar Last Saturday for my shrimp cocktail to serve during the game, but found two other jars in the fridge already open and almost full.
Even the brand new jar had no heat! It had taste, but it was not spicy hot as I wanted. I had to heat up the cocktail sauce with Cayenne.
I usually buy the brand thats in the refrigerated section.

Whats the low down on horseradish? Must one buy fresh? What kind do you use and how do you make certain you have fresh tasting horseradish when you need it?
Storage? Can it be stored after opening?
To have two jars of opened horseradish and new jar, it seems I need some help. TIA........John
Horseradish is easy to grow - probably TOO easy as it will take over your garden if given half a chance. It's also very nasty to peel and to grate unless you have processor.

I've kept the bought-in-a-jar variety and kept it for several weeks in the 'fridge but never noticed flavour loss

The brand I buy in the cold deli case is Ba-Tampte, out of Brooklyn, NY. Pretty basic with horseradish, vinegar, and something else - water? Just three ingredients. Pretty flavorful when first opened, still horsey tasting six months out. Usually, if I have a jar that has been opened a few months, I'll drain it really good, mix it with Dijon mustard and mayonnaise, and use it as a spread on sandwiches such as ham, roast beef, turkey...pretty much everything! Play with the amount of each ingredient, add hot sauce or seasonings to give it the tang you want, and enjoy.

My Mom and her friend across from us would make homemade horseradish every fall, hand grating a bunch of roots. One year they had the bright idea to do it in the blender. When they took the top off of the pitcher the strong smell chased us all out of the house, front rooms and back! Mom and Honey set a folding table up in the backyard, ran an extension cord from the porch, and finished their project! :LOL:

I was in the lower east side NYC a few years back, just before passover, and here was a guy ( from 'The Pickle Guys') making fresh horseradish, outside their store, wearing a gas mask. You know this stuff is potent.

Attachments

• gas-mask-horseradish-620x465.jpg
    gas-mask-horseradish-620x465.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 254
I have never really noticed the lack of nose and sinus "rush" from the prepared stuff we by. The brand is Seminole.

We have Seminole available in our grocery stores. Not sure if I have bought this kind before though.

This one knocked my socks off when used in CraigC's marmalade shrimp sauceView attachment 20695. Label says it's good through June.

This is the kind I like and want. I found some before. Now I must find it again. Maybe this is why the others are not as good to me. In fact the others suck compared to this stuff.

I was in the lower east side NYC a few years back, just before passover, and here was a guy ( from 'The Pickle Guys') making fresh horseradish, outside their store, wearing a gas mask. You know this stuff is potent.

That is what i want. I used to see root available, but I never see them anymore. Living in SC. is the reason. Not many even know what it is, much less like the taste.
My wife cannot stand the smell or taste. Sometimes I wonder how we came to be?.......:ermm:

That is what i want. I used to see root available, but I never see them anymore. Living in SC. is the reason. Not many even know what it is, much less like the taste.
My wife cannot stand the smell or taste. Sometimes I wonder how we came to be?.......:ermm:

Sounds like you want fresh grind RB.
The only way to get that is to grind/grate it yourself.

I'm sure if you look you'll find Horseradish in the root form. Be prepared to work for the results you seek.

The prepared stuff is good for me.

Perhaps you should plan meals to use it up before it
acquires it's lesser status in your eyes.

Sounds like you want fresh grind RB.
The only way to get that is to grind/grate it yourself.

I'm sure if you look you'll find Horseradish in the root form. Be prepared to work for the results you seek.

The prepared stuff is good for me.

Perhaps you should plan meals to use it up before it
acquires it's lesser status in your eyes.

You are right. I should use what I buy. Problem is my wife will not touch it and the bottles are big. I used to be able to buy a very small bottle that I could use up in two three attempts. I will keep an eye out for fresh root!

As I said earlier in this thread, I watched a TV show about horseradish. The packaging was difficult for them as they said air would ruin the final product. They went far and above to make sure it was packed very quickly and sealed.
You would think they would make small airtight plastic one serving size to sell?

You are right. I should use what I buy. Problem is my wife will not touch it and the bottles are big. I used to be able to buy a very small bottle that I could use up in two three attempts. I will keep an eye out for fresh root!

As I said earlier in this thread, I watched a TV show about horseradish. The packaging was difficult for them as they said air would ruin the final product. They went far and above to make sure it was packed very quickly and sealed.
You would think they would make small airtight plastic one serving size to sell?

You could transfer portions of a new bottle into smaller containers to minimize exposure to air.

Just occurred to me - I wonder if it's available in a tube, like tomato paste.

Last edited:
I have a tube of Wasabi horseradish, but it seems that the regular stuff isn't in this country yet.
Check it out..
Thomy Meerrettich ( Horseradish ) In Tube ( 100 ml ): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

Maybe I should use Wasabi instead? Same thing right? I know its very hot.

GG. Yes, very good idea!

I am also rethinking my post. It very well could have been Wasabi that the TV show was about. Modern Marvels I think is where I saw it. I am surprised no one here saw it and could comment?

Last edited:
Most wasabi here is actually horseradish tinted green. Makes sense, Kayelle!

Penzey's sells both dry horseradish powder and pure wasabi powder.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom