Horseradish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most wasabi here is actually horseradish tinted green. Makes sense, Kayelle!

Penzey's sells both dry horseradish powder and pure wasabi powder.

I forgot about that Dawg! That sounds perfect to mix as you need, without needing a gas mask to make fresh.

Skipping my way (not hardly) to Penzey's website.......

This one knocked my socks off when used in CraigC's marmalade shrimp sauceView attachment 20695. Label says it's good through June.

My dad made his own HR, the fumes nearly killed him! One of his jars lasted me about a year in the fridge. I do hear you, Roll, the processed stuff doesn't seem to last long. I too have a small collection.

Thats what I use Dawg, but I bye the larger size. Makes the best cocktail sauce.

Just an idea but I think horseradish is available in the very small squeeze packages, like ketchup or mustard that you get from fast food places. I think you can get them from restaurant supply houses but you might have to buy a case of it. Again I sm not sure. You might stop at sn Arby's restaurant and see if they have those little packages and ask where they get them.

I have a nice little collection of Arby's Horsey Sauce residing in my fridge. I think it's packaged mixed with mayo.

I buy the fresh horseradish root, and put it there into what I am cooking should it call for it.

I just grate it and measure it into the recipe. I can see the horseradish roots and break off only what I need, sometimes with a knife.

I was yelled at for doing this at the Walmart. Don't try it. Walmart managers will hate you.

With love,
~Cat

If you are stuck with having to use the jar type then once opened, use what you need that time and then freeze the rest in an ice-cube tray. Defrost in the microwave then as needed. ;)

I buy the fresh horseradish root, and put it there into what I am cooking should it call for it.

I just grate it and measure it into the recipe. I can see the horseradish roots and break off only what I need, sometimes with a knife.

I was yelled at for doing this at the Walmart. Don't try it. Walmart managers will hate you.

With love,
~Cat

That's because they sell by the unit, not weight...so you were cutting into a unit leaving half a unit in the bin.

I have a small can of Eden Organics Wasabi Powder and mix it up as I need it. I like it for horseradish mashed potatoes, no vinegar taste in the potatoes.

Horseradish is used here at home for one thing. Cocktail sauce.

My wife hates it so I use very little. Hence three bottles in fridge.
I will just look for "Beaver Brand" and use only that kind.
I want to try the fresh. So I will keep an eye out.

Thanks everyone!

You need to get good quality horseradish. Buy Silver Spring brand. it's very good. Stays fresh for a long time. That's the only brand that stays sharp for a long time after opening.

This one is the best:

Horseradish with Beets | Horseradish Products | Silver Spring

Thanks Charlie. Is it good and hot? Along with taste, heat is important to me. I made some cocktail sauce for the super bowl and had to add some cayenne to kick it up.
I will add Silver Spring and Beaver Brand to my list, so i can keep my eyes open for either one. I have never seen "beet" horseradish before. I normally hate beets. At least i did as a kid......LOL

Best Regards..............John

Last edited:
Charlie, I'm sorry to say that's a brand I've bought and I'll never buy it again. In my opinion, it lost it's heat and flavor really fast

Really, strange. What kind did you buy? Few weeks ago I opened a jar of red kind, with beets, I found stock behind something, in my spare fridge, it was "Best before 12-2012" Don't tell anybody I tried it and it was still good. I just finished it last night. It was still good. Not as strong as one I make for Passover, but pretty darn good.

Really, strange. What kind did you buy? Few weeks ago I opened a jar of red kind, with beets, I found stock behind something, in my spare fridge, it was "Best before 12-2012" Don't tell anybody I tried it and it was still good. I just finished it last night. It was still good. Not as strong as one I make for Passover, but pretty darn good.

I make beets and horseradish for Easter! My MIL and her mother before her made it every year. They used horseradish root and fresh beets. I use prepared horseradish and canned beets. The brand I buy here is BL or Dicks. It comes in regular and extra hot, 5.5 oz jars. I buy the extra hot. I make some with 1 jar of horseradish to 1 can of beets for the ones that don't want to have any feeling in their tongue after they eat it. For the rest of us I use 1 jar to 2 cans of beets. BL also makes it already red in a jar. I tried it once and we didn't like it. I save small olive and pickle jars all year to pack it and everyone gets a couple jars of it to take home.

Roll Bones, do you have a Food Saver or Seal A Meal machine? I wonder if you could vacuum seal the jar after you open it until you're ready to use it again. Would that keep it longer?

When I make it myself, I do it from scratch.

But I just remember, if you happened to have Restaurant Depot near you they have the horseradish that is so hot it can light a match with it. I'll try to remember to check the brand next time I am there. Though I do not go very often.

I love Horseradish and the hotter the better. When I get store bought it is Ba-Tempte. I get the white, not the red as it is hotter. I have never had a problem with it losing potency even when it is many months old.

My mother grates her own and while i enjoy that much more I find it wildly inconsistent. Sometimes it is so potent you can hardly stand it and other times it is so mild it is like eating air. I find the freshly grated stuff loses its potency very quickly though. Like within hours, not days. When it is good though there is nothing like it.

Horseradish is easy to grow - probably TOO easy as it will take over your garden if given half a chance. It's also very nasty to peel and to grate unless you have processor.

DOUBLE DITTO! Ask me how I know! :LOL: I planted one horseradish root. Years later, after I'd ripped it all out (I thought) it still came up in strange places yards away.

My MIL always grated her own horseradish, or should I say, her son's grated it for her. LOL I tried that once, but the fumes were unbearable. Once I started making my beet horseradish with the horseradish from a jar, everyone liked it, so I take the easy way out. It is still pretty potent. Of course, if you have sinus problems, grating the horseradish will surely clear up any sinus congestion you might have!

I like a mild horseradish. When I was looking for one I bought a small jar of INGLEHOFFER THICK AND CREAMY. Holy moley, it was to hot for me, so I added about 1/4 cup of mayonnaise to tone it down and now it is perfect. Does anyone know of a mild one? My dad was just the opposite, the hotter the better.

Back
Top Bottom