"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-04-2014, 12:43 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Horseradish

I am tired of buying prepared horseradish in the jar. It looses its potency as soon as you open the jar it seems.
I watched a show on TV about packaging horseradish. Maybe it was this show that has me buying a new jar every time I need some.
I bought a jar Last Saturday for my shrimp cocktail to serve during the game, but found two other jars in the fridge already open and almost full.
Even the brand new jar had no heat! It had taste, but it was not spicy hot as I wanted. I had to heat up the cocktail sauce with Cayenne.
I usually buy the brand thats in the refrigerated section.

Whats the low down on horseradish? Must one buy fresh? What kind do you use and how do you make certain you have fresh tasting horseradish when you need it?
Storage? Can it be stored after opening?
To have two jars of opened horseradish and new jar, it seems I need some help. TIA........John

Old 02-04-2014, 02:31 PM   #2
Executive Chef

We use both prepared and fresh. Just depends on what we are making. About twice a year we will can some homemade worcestshire sauce, which uses quite a bit of fresh horse radish. Fresh really works well in dishes like horsey potatoes or horse radish cream sauce (kinda like Arby's horsey sauce). I like prepared for cocktail sauce and on prime rib.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:46 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
We use both prepared and fresh. Just depends on what we are making. About twice a year we will can some homemade worcestshire sauce, which uses quite a bit of fresh horse radish. Fresh really works well in dishes like horsey potatoes or horse radish cream sauce (kinda like Arby's horsey sauce). I like prepared for cocktail sauce and on prime rib.
Craig. My issue is storing this stuff. Seems to lose flavor very quickly. The reason I have three opened jars in my fridge.

According to the "Horseradish Association" (yes there is one) it should stay fresh for up to 6 months in a tightly closed jar under refrigeration.
It may be what I am buying? I remember horseradish being quite hot and pungent. None of the jars I have resemble this statement.

They have taste, but no heat or nose action going on. Shouldn't my nose quiver at the aroma?
Old 02-04-2014, 02:54 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I have never really noticed the lack of nose and sinus "rush" from the prepared stuff we by. The brand is Seminole.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:10 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

This one knocked my socks off when used in CraigC's marmalade shrimp sauceClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1391544586.746746.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	20695. Label says it's good through June.

My dad made his own HR, the fumes nearly killed him! One of his jars lasted me about a year in the fridge. I do hear you, Roll, the processed stuff doesn't seem to last long. I too have a small collection.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:30 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
This one knocked my socks off when used in CraigC's marmalade shrimp sauceAttachment 20695. Label says it's good through June.

My dad made his own HR, the fumes nearly killed him! One of his jars lasted me about a year in the fridge. I do hear you, Roll, the processed stuff doesn't seem to last long. I too have a small collection.
That brand is the best I've ever found also Dawg! They also have a squeezable HR sauce that's great and potent for sandwiches. It's the only brand I've ever found that doesn't die in the door of the refrigerator.
Like your dad, I made my own once and nearly needed the paramedics.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:06 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post

That brand is the best I've ever found also Dawg! They also have a squeezable HR sauce that's great and potent for sandwiches. It's the only brand I've ever found that doesn't die in the door of the refrigerator.
Like your dad, I made my own once and nearly needed the paramedics.
Good to know, Kayelle! This stuff is HOT! But really good!
Old 02-04-2014, 06:27 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

You could buy a root of fresh horseradish and grate enough to spark up the jars now and then. That much won't kill you

I bought some to make sauce Albert (bechamel simmered with grated horseradish). It will keep forever.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:49 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I am tired of buying prepared horseradish in the jar. It looses its potency as soon as you open the jar it seems.
I watched a show on TV about packaging horseradish. Maybe it was this show that has me buying a new jar every time I need some.
I bought a jar Last Saturday for my shrimp cocktail to serve during the game, but found two other jars in the fridge already open and almost full.
Even the brand new jar had no heat! It had taste, but it was not spicy hot as I wanted. I had to heat up the cocktail sauce with Cayenne.
I usually buy the brand thats in the refrigerated section.

Whats the low down on horseradish? Must one buy fresh? What kind do you use and how do you make certain you have fresh tasting horseradish when you need it?
Storage? Can it be stored after opening?
To have two jars of opened horseradish and new jar, it seems I need some help. TIA........John
Horseradish is easy to grow - probably TOO easy as it will take over your garden if given half a chance. It's also very nasty to peel and to grate unless you have processor.

I've kept the bought-in-a-jar variety and kept it for several weeks in the 'fridge but never noticed flavour loss
Old 02-04-2014, 11:30 PM   #10
Master Chef

I find old opened prepared horseradish to get BITTER