Hot dog brands you buy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I also like Johnsonville's smoked brats, either the Jalapeño cheddar or the beer brats... precooked like a hot dog is, but with a lot more flavor than a regular dog.

I can't remember the last time I bought hot dogs. These days I use Johnsonville's Beer Brats instead, and I skin them before broiling in the toaster oven. I use two of them in slightly hollowed out toasted Mexican Bolillo rolls. They're king size hot dogs to be sure.

Attachments

• P8310056[1].jpg
    P8310056[1].jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 121
I can't remember the last time I bought hot dogs. These days I use Johnsonville's Beer Brats instead, and I skin them before broiling in the toaster oven. I use two of them in slightly hollowed out toasted Mexican Bolillo rolls. They're king size hot dogs to be sure.
Brats and hot dogs are both sausages, but brats are not hot dogs.

Last edited:
Never meant to imply they were the same. Here's some interesting reading..
Hot Dogs vs. Brats
Oops [emoji2] It kinda looked like it.

When we were visiting them in Germany, in 1995, the father of one of our former exchange students made a mixed grill for dinner, including two or three kinds of brats from different regions. I never knew before that how many there were. He also took DH to the bier markt, where they sold nothing but beer. He kindly bought some winter beer for DH to try, even though it was summer at the time [emoji38]

I switch around, depending on what I feel like at the moment, and what is on sale. Right now, I have some Nathan's in the fridge. I like Hebrew National, too, but why seven dogs to a package? I can't get Vienna Beef dogs here - I like them, too.

CD

Bar S here most of the time. If I'm feeling particularly flush, I'll grab a few packages of fancy hot dogs made of fairy wings and unicorn meat. Ok, fancy applewood chicken or all beef types in the Frufru packaging.

Their good, but I still prefer cheap and mixed media in my hot dogs. Relish, mustard, onions and a dab of ketchup and I'm good for a dozen or so.

I did try the Hawiian Sweet buns. That is not a good way to go. Way too sweet for a hot dog.

We only get them in tins/cans and there's a great variation in quality and flavour but I have to admit to enjoying a good hotdog on a long roll with fried onions, French mustard and Heinz tomato ketchup (the ONLY ketchup as far as I'm concerned ;))

Essential to eat them out of doors as they're not the same on a plate & eaten at the table :).

I think I'll pick up a tin when I'm out this afternoon.

We only get them in tins/cans and there's a great variation in quality and flavour but I have to admit to enjoying a good hotdog on a long roll with fried onions, French mustard and Heinz tomato ketchup (the ONLY ketchup as far as I'm concerned ;))

Essential to eat them out of doors as they're not the same on a plate & eaten at the table :).

Good grief Charlie Brown!! You can only get canned hot dogs? Ykies!!:sick:
I'd skip it and make some deviled eggs...;)

What I wish I could still find is the hot dog I got as a kid when we went to the Minnesota State Fair. I loved those dogs!

Mom would drop us off in the area of the Midway with our budgeted money for the day. Lunch was a foot long, skin on dog from the stand there. If my memory serves, it was 25¢, which was about 1/8 of what I had to spend for rides and food for the whole day.

My brother and I would wander around checking out the rides and sideshow exhibits and try to decide how we could get the best bang for the money we had. Most rides only cost 10¢ those days, so with $1.70 left after setting aside the quarter for the hot dog and a nickel for a Coke, we could still get in a lot of entertainment. I don't remember how we hooked back up with Mom, since I don't think I had a watch yet then, but there must have been a clock that we could see somewhere.

Those were the "good old days" when a couple of kids could be on their own in a crowd for hours and nobody worried about abduction or molestation.

I buy my hot dogs from Omaha Steaks. They are 3 ounce deli style hot dogs made from pure beef and pork, no chicken or turkey (which make hot dogs squishy) and no fillers. They come frozen, four to a vacuum sealed package. I usually order 4 packages at a time (16 hot dogs) becuse I love hot dogs with potato chips for a quick snack. The only drawback is you need the Oroweat hot dog buns that come 6 to a package instead of 8 to a package or they literally bust the buns.

I have had every imaginable hot dog; Arpeako hots, Ball Park, Oscar Mayer, Hewbrew National, Shofar, Nathans, Sahlens and Vienna all beef. I have had the Fiarbury red ones, the Zweigles white ones and the Costco Polish dogs, and none of them beats the Omaha Steaks Jumbo Franks or, if you're nostalgic, you can order the classic beef franks with natural casings. Talk about SNAP!

Last edited:
I buy my hot dogs from Omaha Steraks. They are 3 ounce deli style hot dogs made from pure beef and pork, no chicken or turkey (which make hot dogs squishy) and no fillers. They come frozen, four to a vacuum sealed package. I usually order 4 packages at a time (16 hot dogs) becuse I love hot dogs with potato chips for a quick snack. The only drawback is you need the Oroweat hot dog buns that come 6 to a package instead of 8 to a package or they literally bust the buns.

I have had every imaginable hot dog; Arpeako hots, Ball Park, Oscar Mayer, Hewbrew National, Shofar, Nathans, Sahlens and Vienna all beef. I have had the Fiarbury red ones, the Zweigles white ones and the Costco Polish dogs, and none of them beats the Omaha Steaks Jumbo Franks or, if you're nostalgic, you can order the classic beef franks with natural casings. Talk about SNAP!

I find no argument with your preferences... :)

I do have to say that I'm now 8 months without access to a Costco Polish Dog and I miss them terribly... :(

Ross

We used to be able to get hot dogs and hot smokies (larger, spicy smoked hot dogs) made from buffalo meat, right from the ranch where the buffalo were raised. They had their own abbatoir and butcher.
They were fantastic.

Unfortunately, they became some sort of co-op thing which didn't work out, then they sold the business and the new owners didn't continue raising buffalo.

Thanks Bucky! Now I want 1 dog and 1 burger all the way from Hot Grill! And fries. :ohmy: :ermm:

None of the English sausages that you can buy fresh would work? What about imported Vienna (Wiener) sausages or Frankfurter sausages? Those two are pretty much what a hot dog is based on.

I never ate many hot dogs as a kid, but when we had them, it was Hebrew National. I don’t eat hot dogs very often now, either, but when I do, I fall back on old habits and HN are the dogs I buy.

I never ate many hot dogs as a kid, but when we had them, it was Hebrew National. I don’t eat hot dogs very often now, either, but when I do, I fall back on old habits and HN are the dogs I buy.

Ahhhh... Does that mean that you missed out on one of the greatest things a kid can do? The Weenie Roast!!!. I can't imagine growing up without it. A hot dog impaled on either a long fork, or on a green willow branch that you cut and trimmed to your own preferences, cooked over a wood fire. Usually ended up black on one side, but so tasty, and just the interaction of a half dozen kids was a blast, all trying to get at that one spot in the fire where the dog will cook perfectly.

And then there's the dessert.... s'mores, with marshmallows roasted to perfection over that same fire, placed hot on 4 bite size squares of a Hershey bar and squished between 2 graham crackers. Yum! :yum:

I said I rarely ate hot dogs, not never! Of course we had weenie roasts; we lived two miles from the beach. Beach parties were frequent in the summer, and there were always plenty of hot dogs. We used un-bent wire hangers, though.

Never did like s’more. Too sweet, too messy, and dangerous. Having a flaming blob of marshmallow land on your bare foot is not pleasant!

I said I rarely ate hot dogs, not never! Of course we had weenie roasts; we lived two miles from the beach. Beach parties were frequent in the summer, and there were always plenty of hot dogs. We used un-bent wire hangers, though.

Never did like s’more. Too sweet, too messy, and dangerous. Having a flaming blob of marshmallow land on your bare foot is not pleasant!

It's not sposed to catch on fire... you're sposed to roast it gently so that it's all soft and gooey through to the center. ;)

There was a distinct hazard about being too impatient to take a bite while the marshmallow was still hot enough to blister your mouth. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom