Hot dog brands you buy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's not sposed to catch on fire... you're sposed to roast it gently so that it's all soft and gooey through to the center. ;)

There was a distinct hazard about being too impatient to take a bite while the marshmallow was still hot enough to blister your mouth. :LOL:

Yep! Our camping s'mores was to have the graham crackers and slice of chocolate ready, then slide those soft and melted gooey marshmallows in between, let them melt, and enjoy. :yum:

Back in grade school I saw a kid take a flaming marshmallow directly to the eye socket around a camp fire. Nobody ever found out who flung it off of the end of their stick...I still can see the image of him running with his eye on fire....

I hate toasting marshmallows over a fire. Just when you have it two seconds away from being PERFECT, it goes up in flames. :mad:

S'mores are like Twinkies to me. Tried one, and that was enough. Just not my thing.

I do like campfire cooked hot dogs.

In my lifelong experience with campfires, I did make "filet of sole" more than a few times. That's when You get your feet too close to the campfire, for a little too long. :rolleyes:

CD

Last edited:
Usually buy Nathans or HN, but Penn Dutch has several house made dogs of which I prefer the "Red Hots". To be honest though, I prefer grilled hot Italian sausages with grilled onions, bell peppers, provolone and mustard.

Last edited:
I no longer eat buns, but I still like a hot dog from time to time. The local grocer here also owns a meat packing company, so they sell their own hot dogs. I like them. They're thick with a natural casing. More like a quality sausage than a wimpy little Oscar Meyer dog.

If I'm not at home, I usually buy Old Wisconsin brand when I can find them. Otherwise Nathan's hot dogs are pretty passable, too.

I no longer eat buns, but I still like a hot dog from time to time. The local grocer here also owns a meat packing company, so they sell their own hot dogs. I like them. They're thick with a natural casing. More like a quality sausage than a wimpy little Oscar Meyer dog.

If I'm not at home, I usually buy Old Wisconsin brand when I can find them. Otherwise Nathan's hot dogs are pretty passable, too.

I make a dish that uses stewed tomatoes, onions, garlic and hot sauce. You split (without cutting them in half) the hotdogs length wise, brown on both sides in a little oil and set aside. You then cook the onions and garlic in the same pan until softened, add the tomatoes, hot sauce, hotdogs and simmer for about 10 minutes. I think it is pretty good.

I have a new favorite. I bought a pack on sale, and loved them. They are big, and they just taste really good.

CD

Attachments

• RyanDogs.jpg
    RyanDogs.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 245
We tried a new to us brand tonight. Some sort of Angus beef hot dogs. It's a local, artisanal brand - Ça va barder! They were very tasty.

Locally, we prefer Deutschmacher hot dogs, one of the many brands under the Kayem beach umbrella. Natural casing, please. However, our favorite dogs are not a brand name. When we're back home, we always make sure that one of the meals I fix involves the hand-made smoked hot dogs from our favorite Amish country butcher, Winesburg Meats. I remember going down there with my Dad and Mom once a year. Dad found out about it from another bread delivery driver, one who worked for Nickles Bakery. The butcher was only 12 miles from the bakery - not far when you consider the bakery was already 55 miles from our home!

I make my own hotdogs. I use sheep casing. Triple grind them. If I do not make my own, there is a local brand here in the SF Bay Area called Evergood. Really good hot dogs and their hot link sausages are really good.

Mark

Current fave is Private Selection 100% brisket uncured hot dogs. Mid price, excellent flavor

Back
Top Bottom