"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-04-2011, 05:00 PM   #11
Master Chef

Cook your starch in advance for a few nights like your pasta or rice, then just add quick sauces or toppings. Or make filling salads with crispy bread on the side.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:31 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

It is days like today (30C, humidex 35) that I really question why we rented out the house with central A/C so I could live at the farm without A/C. And that's probably why I "jump ship" and go to Lake of the Woods in August--leave the DH to deal with freezing beans, etc.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:36 PM   #13
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I'm cooking salmon, a mac'n cheese casserole, bread and a spaghetti squash...all at once, then I'm locking the oven for a week. I do miss being awake at night to cook up a week's menu.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:44 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I couldn't imagine living here in NC and not using the A/C, maybe I'm a wimp! I don't sleep well if I am hot, and I surely wouldn't want to cook if it was hot in the house.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:24 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I couldn't imagine living here in NC and not using the A/C, maybe I'm a wimp! I don't sleep well if I am hot, and I surely wouldn't want to cook if it was hot in the house.
Because I work from home (when I work--I'm self-employed, so I don't always work, but it seems that the pattern has been I work in the summer and don't have work November - January), I have a really hard time working when the house is hot...I'm wiped out from the heat. And, I noticed that once I put in central A/C, I didn't mind cooking. The issue now is I don't have central A/C at the farm. When I took my nap today, I dreamt I was making wontons in the kitchen at the house we rented out--the one that has A/C. I so want the tenants out of that house so when the weather is hot like it is now, I can pack up the dogs (and I guess now the chickens) and go there. The Ontario government has implemented TOU rates for hydro. Well, for those of us who work from home, the peak rates for hydro also coincide with when our clients usually are available. My brother also works from home for the Cdn government. He's complaining because his agreement doesn't include reimbursement for hydro.

The difference between the "non-peak" and "peak" rate is 66%. I wait until cheap rates switch on before I turn on the bedroom a/c--ditto for the hot water heater (adhering to the McGuinty shower schedule now). I can't tell you how manyh times I checked the clock between 5 and 7 p.m. today. I so wanted to turn on the a/c and take a shower. I also don't do heavy cooking until after 7 p.m. or before 7 a.m. This "practice" cut my hydro bill last month by
$30.

These TOU rates probably are okay for people who work "normal" hours and work at s/one else's site, but the rate added expenses that I can't bill back to a client. And I can't justify running the a/c unit...I might be able to do so by the end of the week...Sigh.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:37 AM   #16
Executive Chef

We have a/c in the bedroom. For the rest of the house, windows open at night, closed during the day. I work thirds so most of my cooking is done in the morning when I get off work or in the evening after the temp starts to cool. We try to promote air flow with strategically placed fans. I've been known to do all of the following to stay cool while cooking (or doing other tasks):

Wet a dish towel and stick it in the freezer, then wrap it around my neck or tie it around my hair.
Wet a winter knit hat and stick it in the freezer, then wear it.
Place a soft icepack on my head and hold it in place with a hat.
Place a soft icepack on the back of my neck and hold it in place with a scarf or tie.

I also usually keep my hair pulled up when it's hot. If I get it wet and then pull it up, it won't dry until I take it down, so that helps.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:33 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
We have a/c in the bedroom. For the rest of the house, windows open at night, closed during the day. I work thirds so most of my cooking is done in the morning when I get off work or in the evening after the temp starts to cool. We try to promote air flow with strategically placed fans. I've been known to do all of the following to stay cool while cooking (or doing other tasks):

Wet a dish towel and stick it in the freezer, then wrap it around my neck or tie it around my hair.
Wet a winter knit hat and stick it in the freezer, then wear it.
Place a soft icepack on my head and hold it in place with a hat.
Place a soft icepack on the back of my neck and hold it in place with a scarf or tie.

I also usually keep my hair pulled up when it's hot. If I get it wet and then pull it up, it won't dry until I take it down, so that helps.
I too found the economical and strategic use of fans. I found little ones (overall 5") and have several placed where I have favorite spots. They really make a difference and were so cheap ($6) that I have one by my recliner, by my desk, next to my sewing machine, next to my bed.

I have a small apartment, so if I run the a/c just before bedtime, with the bedside fan I'm comfortable all night.

There is always one running, and it takes almost no electricity to run.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:56 AM   #18
Master Chef

Site Moderator

I have been doing a lot of grilling and we also been eating a lot of fresh veggies and salads. I haven't used the oven in well over a month, maybe two.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:29 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I too found the economical and strategic use of fans. I found little ones (overall 5") and have several placed where I have favorite spots. They really make a difference and were so cheap ($6) that I have one by my recliner, by my desk, next to my sewing machine, next to my bed.

I have a small apartment, so if I run the a/c just before bedtime, with the bedside fan I'm comfortable all night.

There is always one running, and it takes almost no electricity to run.
I use a bedside fan all year round. I find it provides a kind of white noise that deadens the sounds of the city.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:13 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

For some reason, the bedroom is the warmest room in the house. It doesn't have a heat register, but it is above the livingroom where the woodstove is. I have to either use a window fan or have the window open in the winter. My DH claims he is sleeping in a fridge when he's here in the winter...I find fans just blow the warm air around...I do use the window fans at night to "pull" the cooler air into the house.